Deep Thoughs by Dj Driver

PjLongdriver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was sittingon my porch,on my land,, thinking about all the changes in Second Life since I started 4 yrs ago.  THen I had a wiild thought. Would'nt it be interesting if one could find out how many clubs have started and failed since Second Life's Conception??   Wouldn;t it?  is that possible? of not what do ya'll think is a reasonable estimate or guess

PjLongdriver wrote:

I was sittingon my porch,on my land,, thinking about all the changes in Second Life since I started 4 yrs ago.  THen I had a wiild thought. Would'nt it be interesting if one could find out how many clubs have started and failed since Second Life's Conception??   Wouldn;t it?  is that possible? of not what do ya'll think is a reasonable estimate or guess

I'd also be interesting in counting how many clubs had failed before they started.  I'm guessing plenty.

Also - it may have been a mistake to take your measurements from the moment of conception.  Like that could be a whole topic on it's own.  Clubs that failed after conception but before birth... miscarriages of clubdom.  See?  Dats a swamp u might wanta avoid.

About a year and a half ago I came back into second life and decided I wanted to start a club. After learning to model with blender, script, texture with gimp, etc. for about a year I had my club finished. It looked great with baked shadow and light and all. Then I realized I didn't want to be running a club. I just loved to build, so now I'm just building things to sell. I love the business side of things as well. So yeah, my club went before the grand opening as I'm sure many have before and after mine... :D

Unfotunately clubs like many SL businesses fail because people do not think of them as a "business" and most who do have no real business experience.. Business in SL is no differnt then real life.. they need first money! then planning, marketing etc

too many people start and fail because they have set themselves up for failure..

But i say continue on there are always learning opportunities everwhere SL is no differnt 

• 2 weeks later...

clubs stop bc the intending new owners quickly find out that they are just plain old hard work. Same like a club in RL

to have a good run then you need to have good staff. Who turn up on time at the appointed time and dont go afk when working their shift

+

to see well run clubs then some examples:

Muddys. Wet Willies. Black Horse Country. Dance Island. Ambrosia. Franks

some well-run live venues are for example: Kameleonz. Los Angeles 2020. B&B. Color Factory. Aftermath

is quite a few others as well. I just name them above for any intending new club owners so can check them out. They are your competition 

• 2 weeks later...

Being a club owner in SL for a long time, and it's time, patience as well as a crap load of money, RL money, if you go into owning a club and you can make a profit, good for you! but expect to go into it with the realization that it may never happen. 

It takes a village to run a club in SL, a successful club that is, if the owner has a good team and a good bunch of DJs and Hosts who are willing and able then thats great. Now a days though, that isn't always the case.

Before I hire people myself and my managers are always open and honest about our clubs traffic and that its only 100% tips, and to make sure that they are comfortable with that, if they are not then our club isn't for them, if they don't mind and want to give it ago, they have what it takes to DJ a low to medium traffic club then thats awesome!

SL is allot different then it was years ago, most clubs that are still open from over 4 years ago have a loyal VIP group which is fantastic and very well deserved, but with clubs that are open now, such as mine, it can be very difficult, mostly because there are a few DJs and Hosts out there with higher expectations for little effort and passtion put into what they do, (not all DJs and Hosts, just a few). It's hard from a owners perspective when you want to genuinly run a SL Club, your more then willing to put in your own money because you are passionate about it, only to have some people bring you down because you don't pay your djs or hosts or have high traffic.

I love what I do, I love DJing, I love owning a SL club, I get enjoyment out of it, and making sure that our DJs and Hosts are comfortable working the club. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.