Can I build on first 512sqm tier

cibernut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Right, I see - thanks :)  I thought the 117 prims was taken up by the new Linden Home, so then I was thinking that if I abandoned it I still wouldn't be able to build on it.  I suppose I wouldn't have any commercial rights though?

I think you understand exactly where I am comming from unless you are stupid.  You're certainly sarchastic...  The facts are this!  The LH is not free b.c you have signed up for premium membership, yet you can't do anything with the 512sqm tier other than keep and use the home. Bye, bye.

When I started as premium I got confused by this: "There is no tier for the first 512 square meters of mainland"
Actually we pay no tier when we hold no more than 512 square meters, not because it is the first

When you have a Linden Home you also hold 512 square meters of mainland and if you purchase 512 more your land holding is 1024 and you have to pay tier

On the other hand you may abandon land (Linden Home or not) and buy new as often as you like
Abandon 512 square meters and buy 512 will not increase you holding over the 512 square meters tier limit

I feel sorry that you find me stupid or sarcastic
It was never my intention

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

(Never expect a richly response to a poor question)

cibernut wrote:

I think you understand exactly where I am comming from unless you are stupid.  You're certainly sarchastic...  The facts are this!  The LH is not free b.c you have signed up for premium membership, yet you can't do anything with the 512sqm tier other than keep and use the home. Bye, bye.

Maybe I'm "stupid" then because I'm increasingly confused about what you're talking about in these threads. Originally I thought it was because you have some basic misunderstanding of Linden Homes, but now you seem to be trying to make a point about the "bonus" tier that comes with Premium membership. So now I'm not sure if you were asking a question here or trying to make that point (whatever it may be).

On the off-chance you were actually asking a question, then: it may help to start out thinking about Premium bonus tier as it was for years and years: Use it to buy some Mainland and then use that Mainland to build your own house or as a place to plop down your favourite prefab.

At first, that worked pretty well for the Lab. People were all excited about Second Life and willing to invest some time and effort to learn how it all worked, including the mysteries of land ownership -- which indeed can be pretty arcane.

Eventually, though, this process was judged too complex for the newbie landowner, so the Lab came out with this new product, "Linden Homes," which bundled together a house and a plot of land in a kind of "planned community" of tightly regimented regions.

Linden Homes were originally intended to be just the rudimentary "training wheels" of land ownership. Nobody imagined that anybody would be satisfied keeping the hideous, crippled things once they understood how Land works. For a bunch of reasons, though, Linden Homes turned out to be way "stickier" than intended.

I could go on, but the important point is that you absolutely can do other things with that 512 sqm tier instead of using it for a Linden Home, and indeed you were always intended to do other things with it.

If somehow the Linden Homes information gives a different impression, that would be a big failure in that program.

cibernut wrote:

The "free tier" that comes with a Premium membership can be used for one of two separate things:

1) A "Linden Home", where you have the ability to rezz up to 117 prims INSIDE a prefabricated structure that doesn't count against your prim total. You never actually own the walls, etc. Linden Homes are only on specially constructed regions. When you "abandon" a Linden Home you're actually abandoning the land INSIDE the structure.

OR

2) 512 square meters of "Mainland" in a region other than one of the Linden Home regions, which will be a completely empty piece of land or water which you can place up to 117 prims on and use for any purpose allowed by the Terms of Service. You'll have to find a piece of existing land yourself and pay the current owner a fee to take posession of it at first, but after that it you won't have to pay anything else for that particular piece of land other than keeping your Premium membership current.

cibernut wrote:

Hello, cibernut,

I read Dora's post and did not at all see any sarcasm there. I hope you have read the handy link she included in her post, which will tell you everything you need to know about Linden Homes.

The Linden Home is not free in the true sense of the word, but it comes "free" as part of a premium membership.  Many of us joined Second Life before Linden Homes were available, and the rules back then were similar but not the same; we could all own a 512m parcel of land for "free" if we committed ourselves to a premium account. 

Where Linden Homes differ from mainland parcels of land is, the Linden Homes parcels are all 512m parcels of land that already have a home built on them, but the owner of a Linden Home parcel then can add furnishings and objects up to the value of 117 prims.  On a mainland parcel measuring 512m, it is a blank space of land, and again objects up to the value of 117 prims may be rezzed there, but there is no house already on the land, and so it can be quite a challenge to find or build a house that will fit onto the parcel and not be too prim-heavy.

I have a 512 on mainland that fronts on a LL road at a "T" junction. I think i paid about $1000 L  for it (location location location). Its more or less square instead of the "normal" shaped 16 by 32 m. I put up a basic two story brick building, with a  club downstairs and an apartment upstairs, and i still have about 40 prims left over.

Its not my main place, i also rent on a private estate, but its a nice little private getaway.

mainland001_001.jpg

The stairs encroach on the right of way, but they are rooted to a prim under the floor.

Before that i lived in a water tower i built :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.