Banning from a public sim without provication

poesraven72

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I understood it was against the TOS to be banned from a public sim without provication.  I had someone who didnt care for me talk to a sim owner into banning me when I had never even been on the sim before.  I found out through a mutual friend.  While I dont plan on going there and spoke to the owner who said they would speak to them but the ban wasnt lifted.  Notthat I was going to go  but I had heard it was against the TOS to do that.

Anyone know and if so what is the clause.  I'm not the only one this person has influanced into banning without provication.

Thank you!

poesraven72 wrote:

I understood it was against the TOS to be banned from a public sim without provication.
  I had someone who didnt care for me talk to a sim owner into banning me when I had never even been on the sim before.  I found out through a mutual friend.  While I dont plan on going there and spoke to the owner who said they would speak to them but the ban wasnt lifted.  Notthat I was going to go  but I had heard it was against the TOS to do that.

Anyone know and if so what is the clause.  I'm not the only one this person has influanced into banning without provication.

Thank you!

If a sim is owned by someone other than Linden Lab  it is by definition a private sim, not a public one, and anyone can be banned for any or no reason.

A sim may be open to the public but if it is owned by an individual then the sim owner or land owner or anyone given the authority (through group membership) can ban anyone they like. Think of it from their point of view. They pay for the land so they have the right to kick people off it.

If someone tells you something is against TOS you should ask them to point you to the reference so that you can read it for yourself.

As been mentioned already, there is generally no such thing as a "public" sim.  If a location is not owned by Governer Linden or the Linden Department of Public Works... It's privately owned.  Even when group owned, land groups are also privately owned entities subject to the group owners' and officers' paid-for whims.  (^_^)

With that out of the way, I'd like to see you quote which part of the TOS states that a land owner is restricted from banning for any reson whatsoever. The document isn't hard to find.  It's linked at the bottom of nearly every web page presented by Linden Lab.  Though if that link is too difficult to find, in spite of saying "Terms of Service" at the bottom of the page, I'll include it in my post here. (^_^)

https://secondlife.com/policy/?lang=en-US

Before you "understand" something... I suggest you actually read it.. (^_^)y

Thank you for the constructive help Imnotgoing.  I simply asked a question on something I heard.  I read the TOS and several Wiki's.  As each link takes you to another link I was having issues.  I never said I saw it nor did I imply it. 

Again thank you for your constructive post.

No Poes it isnt against the TOS.  Any one can ban you for any reason whether you have "done" anything or not. Though I have to say to some that have replied to the question when someone asks a honest question and ask for help you maybe jaded by "silly" questions on the form it is respectful to answer them with out short curt answers.  We all need help from time to time.  No need to be rude.

poesraven72 wrote:

Thank you for the constructive help Imnotgoing.  I simply asked a question on something I heard.  I read the TOS and several Wiki's.  As each link takes you to another link I was having issues.  I never said I saw it nor did I imply it. 

Again thank you for your constructive post.

To the best of my knowledge there is no "Official Statement" from Linden Lab defining when and whom you can or can not allow or ban from land you rent and / or own.  You might refer to it as an "assumed right."  Linden Lab simply states in the Knowledge Base:

"You can exercise your rights as a Second Life landowner by restricting access to your property."

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113#Section_.5

See also:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Estate_Menu#Estate_Tab

This has been as long as I have been in SL simply the way it is.  Any complaints by Individuals to Linden Lab about being "banned" from a place are treated as Resident to Resident disputes and Linden Lab does not get involved in those.

The only places that you have 'guaranteed' access to are those locations identified as belonging to Governor Linden or The Linden Dept of Public Works. 

Anything else in SL is considered Private Property.

The lesson to be learned here is never to believe what someone tells you about the TOS because there is a lot of misinformation floating around.     This is a prime example.  Another is the silly 'disclaimers' people put in their profile that say they can use chat and IM logs how they please.  That disclaimer is not worth the pixels it's written in.

If someone tells you something make them point out the clause that proves their contention before you believe it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.