Are us newbies considered 'plebs'? :/

EtherealTruth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I consider this attitude to be very toxic as it's elitist - inevitably causing decline of communities as it leads to alienation from no reaffirmation to learn/participate - and the very people who want to consollidate their importance with a 'status' will leave a vaccum if newbies, future contributing members, don't have much initiative without typical reassurance/ecnouragement as common to healthy systems....

I'm in a public sandbox, building as I recently begun learning, and someone was nearby. This is what followed:

[05:26] Voltaire Vivianus: That's either a twister or an ice cream.
[05:27] Voltaire Vivianus: Got a blowback script, hm?
[05:28]: could but i dunt much with stuff that animates or pushes ppls avis least not to plebs noffin personal :/
[05:28] Voltaire Vivianus: You judged me as a pleb and said nothing personal, lol?
[05:29]: you last name is resident you are barely 2 years old so compaired to my self you are a pleb :/
[05:30] Voltaire Vivianus: Weird social system you got there, importance attached to time joined. Lol~
[05:31] Zaara : Classic Suit jacket (L) *beige*: Configuration Loaded
[05:31] Zaara : Classic Suit jacket (L) *beige*: Ready, Memory Free: 7652KiB
[05:31]: its a contribution measure longer your here in relativistic terms more you have contributed to the overall community so yes it is an ageist hierarchy get overit :/
[05:32] Voltaire Vivianus: Not really, it's a hierarchy for those concerned with ego.

[05:33]: you have avatara and item made by my self paid for by linden labs for free in your library folder kiddo .. i been making anf greating 3d/graphic content for a very long time :/
[05:33] Voltaire Vivianus: Alright, impress me then.
[05:33] Voltaire Vivianus: You're arrogant, I'd like to see the reason.
[05:33]: piss off pleb

I tried to engage the person privately to resolve any misunderstanding he may have had, but he said he's getting me banned for harassing him as I dared contact him, that I'm a 'pedantic ass'  who should be on '4Chan'; additionally, -insert multitude of insults, threats to hack, implications about how worthless all new members are-. 

So, I've only been officially active for the last few weeks, I've invested about $500 into the economy and I've got eagerness to learn, but what's with this random attitude? Is this normal? Will I meet this a lot instead of encouragement? Is this typical?

Its unfortunate there are people in society who get their jollies from putting other people down, but it happens everywhere; in workplaces, on streets and estates. 

What is important is how we deal with them.

You really need to remove the names of the people concerned from your conversation below.  You aren't naming and shaming them as you probably hope to be doing, rather than adding more mock-power to what they see as their badge of honour.

In Second Life some oldbies go to sandboxes out of habit, to build, to create, and ironically to be alone.  Some oldbies go with the specific intention to try and lord it over others, simply because they have their own inadequacies that they are trying to hide and to forget themselves. Same thing happens in the so-called welcome areas and infohubs in Second Life.

The best thing you and anyone else can do when encountering these individuals is:

IGNORE

BLOCK/MUTE

And get on with your own business.  Focus on the positive people more, as there are lots more of them in all walks of life.

As others have said, please take the guy's name out.   It's against the forum rules,  and you risk having the whole thread pulled (and being suspended from the forum).

Some people have that attitude, but I don't think it's particularly common.  He seems a real piece of work, particularly since (she said, nastily) most people, if they actually were responsible for some of  the older starter avatars, would want to keep quiet about it.

Since you're interested in building, may I suggest you check out some of the in-world groups like Builders Brewery or NCI, who offer building classes?   NCI I don't know very well, but Builders Brewery is a very friendly group who offer quality classes (for free) on a wide variety of subjects, and have their own sandbox.   I'm sure you'll have far better experiences there than in most public sandboxes.

I wont echo the other posts as they have already stated the rules..

I would like to point out that:

1. they were building something in a sandbox.
  2. You approached them and made a snide comment on their build
  3. then you asked for a griefer script...

Personally, if i am obviously building something and someone comes up to me, i will politely ask them if there is something they want.. Then i will either ask them to move, as they are in my way, or i will just go to a different sandbox. I have had someone copybot an item i was working on and rezz a copy right next to mine.. So, yeah, random people walking up while we are building can be annoying.

Also, by his reasoning, he is a pleb to me as i have been here for 8 years... Take that how you will.

Pleb just means commoner. I had to look it up. Gotta love these kids pulling out words from centuries ago to  try and insult people..

I edited out his name and I was unaware it was an offense. Many apologies. :) I assumed as it was in a public domain and nature of his behaviour, it was acceptable as sharing a screenshot. Thanks mostly to Innula Zenovka who offered some incredible advice!

Nightfire, I want to clarify the script was in relation to a twister to a Dorothy House (as propulsion), nothing to do with griefing,  I was making and he approached me to begin his own variant. Pleb, too, is harsh as it demeans someone as inferior in status to a peasant's, highly deregatory. :(

Drake, I've been around and scripting for a fair while, and I've been asked for many things, but I've never heard of "a blowback script", whether in the context of griefing or anything else.   If someone asked me for one, I'd ask them to explain what they wanted the script to do.

How do griefers use "blowback scripts"?

As to "plebs," I think how offensive it is depends on where you're from.   Allegations that he'd used the the term in a dispute with police officers (apparently the allegation was false) were sufficient , a couple of years ago, to force quite a senior member of our government here in the UK to resign.

EtherealTruth wrote:

I edited out his name and I was unaware it was an offense. Many apologies.
:)
I assumed as it was in a public domain and nature of his behaviour, it was acceptable as sharing a screenshot. Thanks mostly to Innula Zenovka
 who offered some incredible advice!

Nightfire, I want to clarify the script was in relation to a twister to a Dorothy House (as propulsion), nothing to do with griefing,  I was making and he approached me to begin his own variant. Pleb, too, is harsh as it demeans someone as inferior in status to a peasant's, highly deregatory.
:(

See, all we have to go on is what you originally typed, you didn't say they approached you. Going by what was written one would infer you approached him. You started the conversation.

Just a friendly word of advice... Don't call someone by their last name, it's insulting.  And pleb is from 500 years ago. Most people wouldn't know what it meant if called it. There aren't peasants and royals anymore..  I didn't know it was an insult now. Seeing as he isn't royalty or of the noble-class I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. Like i said, going by age, he is a pleb to me.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Drake, I've been around and scripting for a fair while, and I've been asked for many things, but I've never heard of "a blowback script", whether in the context of griefing or anything else.   If someone asked me for one, I'd ask them to explain what they wanted the script to do.

How do griefers use "blowback scripts"?

As to "plebs," I think how offensive it is depends on where you're from.   Allegations that he'd used the the term in
(apparently the allegation was false) were sufficient , a couple of years ago, to force quite a senior member of our government here in the UK to resign.

Going from the sound of it I assumed it was a script to "blowback" people or push them. I will freely admit i have no idea how to script anything more complex than simple stuff. 

Plebs is not used in the US, at all as far as i know. Perhaps why I don't consider it an insult as we are all poor welfare rednecks here, right? :)

I'm from the UK where 'pleb' is an established insult, more taboo than a certain word I won't say, and for him to use such a culturally specific word, I think he knew the implications. As for not providing the context, rather unimportant to his unprovoked aggressions, there wasn't much except the fact I was building?

I don't see why you're incesantly looking for faults, whether it's details on the context to the connotations of 'pleb'? I provided this as an experience, relatively random compared to others, and I simply want reassurance:

1) This isn't a community standard,

2) It's in no way endorsed for certain people to feel superior as a human over such facts,

3) People don't support antagonism from entitlement over how much they're supposedly contributed.

Certain people here have restored my faith, nevertheless. Thank you.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Going from the sound of it I assumed it was a script to "blowback" people or push them. I will freely admit i have no idea how to script anything more complex than simple stuff. 

Plebs is not used in the US, at all as far as i know. Perhaps why I don't consider it an insult as we are all poor welfare rednecks here, right?
:)

I'd just never heard of "a blowback script," that's all.  I mean, if someone asked you for an orbiter script or a deformer, you'd know what they wanted even if you didn't know how exactly it worked, let alone how to make one.    I was wondering if this was some odd exploit I'd not heard of before, but it seems not.   Thanks.

As to the linguistic and social minefield that is SL, with people here from so many countries and backgrounds, because I'm a Brit, I try to avoid causing unintentional offence.    Normally, I try to take care to avoid possible misunderstandings, and also I try to make sure that, if I want to offend someone, he'll certainly know about it, even if he doesn't speak a word of English.   

EtherealTruth wrote:

I'm from the UK where 'pleb' is an established insult, more taboo than a certain word I won't say, and for him to use such a culturally specific word, I think he knew the implications. As for not providing the context, rather unimportant to his unprovoked aggressions, there wasn't much except the fact I was building?

I don't see why you're incesantly looking for faults, whether it's details on the context to the connotations of 'pleb'? I provided this as an experience, relatively random compared to others, and I simply want reassurance:

1) This isn't a community standard,

2) It's in no way endorsed for certain people to feel superior as a human over such facts,

3) People don't support antagonism from entitlement over how much they're supposedly contributed.

Certain people here have restored my faith, nevertheless. Thank you.

You need to calm down.. I have no idea where you are from. In the states it isn't a much used word. sorry. Context is very important in any discussion. You didn't say he approached you. from what  you wrote it sounded like you approached him. That is all.

I am not looking for faults or casting blame. You want reassurance in a virtual world online?!? Welcome to the internet, grow a thicker skin. You are taking this way too seriously.

1. it's fairly common on pubic sandboxes to be the target of A$$hats.

2. LL doesn't get involved in user to user disputes, at all. The neither endorse or ban this behaviour. The SIM owner may have a different viewpoint though.

3. Most people do not support antagonism at all in SL. there are a few jerks though, you seem to have bumped into one.

The conversation you pasted indicates that you just came across a jerk; and while there are lots of them in SL, I don't put that against SL as a whole -mostly because there are also millions of jerks in RL.

However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say 'yes' to your thread's title: while nowhere near as obnoxiously as that, I have indeed observed a certain tendency in quite a few residents to have newcomers in low regard, sometimes even a step short of an annoyance (mostly because people who think that way are too afraid that the newbie will hammer them with questions about SL and generally discomfort them with their inevitable clumsiness).

SL has a large population that is a cross section of the RL population.  That includes people like you ran into.  You are likely to run into more, as we all have.  Don't take it personally, just ignore them and block them.

The word pleb (sometimes spelled plebe) in the US it is used as a term in the military schools for freshmen and isn't an insult, just an indication of newness.  I do understand that in other countries it is an insult.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.