Loki Eliot
Topics: 122
Blog Posts: 0

Any ideas on encouraging visitors to spend?

I own a private island and I'm pleased that I get a nice amount of traffic at the moment, but I'm wondering if other private land owners have any good ideas or models for encouraging visitors to spend while on my island?
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."."
— Mark Twain
Bree Giffen

Re: Any ideas on encouraging visitors to spend?

Reply to Loki Eliot - view message

I don't have a private island or any venue for that matter but I do visit places. How about a gift shop like in real life? You could sell souvenir clothing like hats or maybe some tchotkes, things for decorating one's house or interesting attachments to show to others. If you can manage it be sure that people end up at the gift shop at the end of the visit.
Please visit my store on the SL Marketplace ~ Heliconia
Rolig Loon

[ Edited ]

People will drop some loose L$ in tip jars, but usually only small amounts, so it's tough to earn much that way.  If you sponsor live musical events, some people will tip the venue, but most people prefer to tip performers instead, so even there tips don;t earn much for you.  Also, people can always cam around and see what's in your sim (unless it's completely surrounded by water), so it's hard to charge admission.  You can script some things so that they only work if people pay, although I don't know of any successful business models like that in SL.  That really just leaves selling tangible goods, or renting space to creators who sell their tangible goods.  I don't know what's appropriate to your sim -- clothing, artwork, toys, vehicles..... -- but you ought to be able to work out a marketing scheme that is compatible with your sim's theme.

Not as dumb as I look
Advisor
Ishtara Rothschild

Most places add a little shopping area at the landing point and rent out vendor space. If your traffic numbers look good, it should be no problem to find interested merchants.

Loki Eliot

Thanks for the ideas. Obviously land rental is still the best way to make tier for the land But I'm curious to know if anyone has successfully Encouraged spending from visitors. People will not need shops once LL release direct delivery from inventory so I'm reluctant to rely on shopping areas.

Paying for an experience is interesting idea that needs testing. would you mind visiting a place shown on destination guide to then have to pay L$100 to go inside the haunted house or enchanted forest? Has anyone got an example of this sort of thing working in SL?

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."."
— Mark Twain
Rolig Loon

Loki Eliot wrote:
People will not need shops once LL release direct delivery from inventory so I'm reluctant to rely on shopping areas.

I can't see why that is likely.  Direct delivery from inventory will just affect the way a merchant's items are sent from Marketplace to the buyer.  As far as the buyer is concerned, it shouldn't look any different than it does now.  There will always be people (like me!) who prefer to shop in world instead of using Marketplace. 

Not as dumb as I look
Darren Oates

Well if you seem to be getting a fair amount of foot traffic your half way there like other have said depending on your Sim theme, rental spaces (even wall space rentals vendor type) Sky box rental (min 1 day cheap priced)   mini shop spaces in each corner of Simi get them walking around a bit.   A few games machines 10 would even do it.  Basically you have to collect all the aspects of SL that users have come into contact with to increase possible spending habits and therefore providing different kinds of entertainment that will appeal to different users.  Although shopping inworld has been blown out of the water by the web marketplace you may still find a decent inworld shop will do well just run with some ideas and build on that if it doesn't work just keep plugging away until you find one that does.  Go on a rekkie in SL with each idea and see how others are using that idea and see if their is room for improvement.   That's the fun part of setting up a profitable Sim good luck.

Advisor
Ishtara Rothschild

Loki Eliot wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. Obviously land rental is still the best way to make tier for the land But I'm curious to know if anyone has successfully Encouraged spending from visitors. People will not need shops once LL release direct delivery from inventory so I'm reluctant to rely on shopping areas.

Paying for an experience is interesting idea that needs testing. would you mind visiting a place shown on destination guide to then have to pay L$100 to go inside the haunted house or enchanted forest? Has anyone got an example of this sort of thing working in SL?

While I make most of my sales on the Marketplace nowadays, I still make sales inworld too. There are enough people who prefer to shop inworld with friends that I would never consider closing my inworld store. I also rent vendor space in some high traffic places, mostly for product placement. It's cheap advertising, I don't really need to make sales there.

Other stores seem to use the same strategy. I run into the same logos of some larger adult brands in every sim that I visit, and I really can't imagine that they earn their rent back in all these locations. Like myself, they will probably make 70-80% of their sales on the Marketplace and the remaining 20-30% at their main store location. The rest is product placement meant to keep their brand logos in the back of everyone's heads. There is no reason why sim owners shouldn't cash in on that.

As for pay-per-visit... I don't know really. It's a very unusual concept for SL. People are used to buy content and visit locations for free. I doubt that anybody would pay for a ticket if they can just as well tp elsewhere.

Bree Giffen

It's been a while but the Rezzable sims went to a pay per visit design. The amazing Greenies sim I believe was part of that. I wonder how that has worked out.
Please visit my store on the SL Marketplace ~ Heliconia
Loki Eliot

Reply to Bree Giffen - view message

Well they left, so i guess not very well. Although they may have left because they were perusing greater ideas that they could not do in SL Grid.

— Mark Twain