what is slgo?

mayiknow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In itself it is an online service that lets you play a viewer (LL’s official one, and now Firestorm too) in a remote machine which then video-streams the screen back to you; therefore you need a pretty decent Internet connection (to be able to download the stream in its currently moderately high quality), but not a powerful machine... the remote one that you connect to does all the hard 3D real-time rendering work. It is thus ideally suite for relatively low-end devices such as old laptops (or desktops), or tablets... as long as you have a good connection, you’re good to go.

The client program (the one through which you control the remote computer, and therefore its running viewer) can be installed in normal Windows computers, and also on iPads & Android devices; perhaps some other platforms too. On launching it and connecting to the OnLive service, it will offer you the LL viewer or Firestorm to connect to SL.

The main advantage is as described: you can run SL on low-end machines and yet, since the remote ones are quite powerful, you get a high-quality visualization of SL: big draw distance, Ultra quality, shadows, etc., with almost no lag (either loading lag, or graphical) and so very fluid. For portable devices this is especially true because, even if they’re high-end models, they will usually still lack the graphics power to run SL natively (and fluidly) in anything resembling Ultra quality; in this sense they’re far better than, for example, Lumiya for Android.

The disadvantages are several: it’s streamed at 720p (which means something around 1280 x 720, relatively low especially for devices with much higher resolutions), there are many “caps” (no personal viewer preferences saved, extremely limited photographic capture options, some other advanced options such as Debug Settings disabled)... and it comes at a cost, either in one-time uses or monthly fees, that not all deem affordable.

To summarise the summaries:

• SL Go is a third-party service provided by OnLive Games (it is not an LL-provisioned service).
  • It streams Second Life (including the viewer) to your computer or tablet device, using a version of either the SL viewer or Firestorm.
  • As a streamed service, it should provide high FPS rates, even with all the graphics in the viewer turned up.
  • If you use the SL Viewer version, you can connect to SL via PC, Mac, Android device or iPad.
  • If you user Firestorm you can (currently) only connect using a PC or Mac BUT you can also use the service to log-in OpenSim grids.
  • The service costs US$9.95 (£6.95) a month for unlimited access.
  • It is not something aimed at people with very good computers and good internet connectivity.
  • It is aimed towards users who either want the feature / graphical rich environment of the viewer on their tablet device (SL viewer) or who have a lower-end PC and Mac with limited graphics & who wish to enjoy the visual richness of SL.
  • Official details here.

I have a full review of the original release of SL Go, and a look at it running Firestorm on my blog.

Edited for typo.

• 1 month later...

I uses SLGO with my PC.  It works wonderfully.  I don't have the best graphics card, but with SLGO I am able to see graphics at the Ultra level.  It rocks.  I don't crash half as much and when other are experiencing lag, normally I'm not. 

No I do not work for SLGO but I am very happy to have it.  Things are so much more beautiful in SL. 

All you do is log into the program, it connects to the cloud, then log into the SL or Firestorm viewer and you're set.  If you need your chat logs, you have to retrieve them from the cloud.  That is the one thing I noticed.  One drawback I am trying to figure out is how to view movie streams.  This does not look possible due to using the viewer on the cloud versus the one on your computer.  Anyway, it still has been advantageous for me to use. 

Phoenix

I have been using SLGO for about 4 months.  I'm happy with the graphics.  At first, I didn't have the ability to see mesh, but now I can improve my female avatar with all mesh items, etc.  I am happy they've the option of Firestorm viewer b/c it offers more preferences.

I don't have the ability to upload a picture, but my disappointment is that they do not offer voice chat for SLGO on PC yet.  

They do have a very good support team if there is a problem with the viewer or a certain update is damaged.  If this happens to those who use it, first re-install Onlive to your computer.  It should fix the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Me too.

I'm not one of these idiots that goes otu and pays top dollar every time a graphics card comes out.  I have to wait for the idiot to alpha test the card while Big Electronica takes their hard earned money to figure out how to cut down the transistor densities and make the card without generating 10,000 btus of heat and needing a graphics card that's depleting the ozone layer.

So keep up the good work wih putting ALL games on the cloud and let IT do the hard compu-crushing and I'll be more than happy to sit back with my dumbass terminal and enjoy the game at max settings and min monies.

THEY CAN'T MAKE MORE CLOUD-RESIDENT PROGRAMS FAST ENOUGH!!!

...JD

John Duke wrote:

I'm not one of these idiots that goes otu and pays top dollar every time a graphics card comes out.  I have to wait for the idiot to alpha test the card while Big Electronica takes their hard earned money to figure out how to cut down the transistor densities and make the card without generating 10,000 btus of heat and needing a graphics card that's depleting the ozone layer.

Neither am I.   However,  SL works perfectly well with my GeForce GTX 660 (released 2012).  

Fortunately, at least with Nvidia GPUs, it's the GPU's specification, not how new it is, that's important, along with how much available RAM your machine has.  I am not familiar with the naming systems for other cards, but with Nvidia, the first of the 3 digits indicates the year the card was released (higher is newer; we're now on 9nn cards).  The second two numbers indicate the model type (higher is better, and run SL with high or ultra graphics you really need n50 or higher).  

I'm not disagreeing with you about SLGO.   It's just that a lot of people get very confused about GPUs and SL, and I wouldn't want people to go away with the idea that they need a very new, top of range, GPU for SL.    

• 5 years later...

There's a game streaming service called Shadow that you could look into. It's 15 bucks a month. According to reviews it works best when used with a regular laptop or desktop computer. It doesn't work great on tablets because tablets don't have a keyboard and mouse. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.