security orb

cherry Ravinelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SWA security is great, i have been using it for over 18 months, it work, its serious security, created by Sweetnwild magic. . it does a serious job......easy to use, easy to set up.......she also has products that take care of memory users that cause lag on your simm, it doesnt do anything over the boundaries of your land 

Lee Ponzu wrote:

Protect it??  From what?  It isn't like real property.  Nobody can steal it, or mess it up, or leave a wet spot on your sheets.

ponzu

In my case it stops people from getting onto my building platform when I'm not there and fiddling round with half-finished scripted  toys and furniture I'm making, sometimes causing damage it takes me ages to put right.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for reply :-)

and for that someone who wonders why i need private space: no, nothing can be stolen or messed with, i have a shop on my land, i need a place private to change clothes and such without customers walking in on me :-)

Although i read on many posts that it is easier just to leave everything open, if you close something people will get curious even more, that seems true also.

And I already got a solution! A close friend said I can use his skybox for changing clothes and such as he is hardly ever in sl anymore, problem solved. If I need to I go to his place :-)

thanks everyone!

cherry

• 3 years later...

Yes. Devices scan up to a certain range in all directions. The range being settable by the user. When it's in the middle of the area that you want covered, it covers the area, provided that you set the range far enough. That, of course, also covers parts of neighboring land but, although the devices see the avatars that are not on your land, they don't do anything about them. So stick it somewhere near the middle and set the range so that it covers the corners of your land, if that's what you want cover.

Some newer devices may do it a little differently, by getting all the avatars in the sim and only dealing with those that are actually on or above your land. In that case, you may not need to set the range or place it in a central position.

It's probable that you got instructions with it, so reading them will be illuminating.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yes. Devices scan up to a certain range in all directions. The range being settable by the user. When it's in the middle of the area that you want covered, it covers the area, provided that you set the range far enough. That, of course, also covers parts of neighboring land but, although the devices see the avatars that are not on your land, they
don't do anything about them.
they are limited in what they can do.
  So stick it somewhere near the middle and set the range so that it covers the corners of your land, if that's what you want cover.

Some newer devices may do it a little differently, by getting all the avatars in the sim and only dealing with those that are actually on or above your land. In that case, you may not need to set the range or place it in a central position.

It's probable that you got instructions with it, so reading them will be illuminating.

Fixed that.  ;)

I has a neighbor who put up a new device with too large a radius.  It added me to it's ban list without me entering the parcel.

And then there's the 'spam.'

No decent security devices do that.

Absolutely true. However, not all security devices out there are decent. I have a neighbour with one that threatens anyone on my land within 40 m of the common border, including myself, every 5 seconds. Something like "Phil Deakins. You are not allowed on this parcel. If you don't leave in 5 seconds you will be ejected." It also threatens anyone within 40m in the adjacent region. Of course it can't carry out the threat, and I can mute it, but that doesn't help any visitors.

I use Hippo's brand of orb for the reason of letting me have precision in the range.

Whatever you have, make sure it can do what I describe here, and if not replace it.

I can place my orb in a spot, and then edit a note card to say how far it protects in the +X and -X, +Y and -Y, and +Z and -Z

- Six coordinates. Even to decimal places

So what I do, is I rez a prim just under the floor, and then stretch it in each individual direction to the EXACT spot I want to cover. Then I write down the size of each dimension (X, Y, Z).

I place my orb in the middle bottom but on a whole number (so its under the floor and not visible), and then use the distance from there to each edge as the + or - value for each coordinate.

So if my orb ends up at coordinates 100,100,100... and my prim goes 5.53m north of that, and 3.27m south of that... My +y is 5.53, my -y is 3.27...

This lets me end the orb inside of walls... so you can bounce your avatar against the wall on one side and not notice it, cross the wall and get zapped.

Being the precise lets me place it to be exactly inside a building and not bother people outside. Which means I feel no guilt with having a 0 second no warning orb setting.

Make sure your orb's notecards let you be very precise. I've noticed orbs included in a lot of prefab houses that will zap people 20m over the roof, and yet fail to cover the left half of the living room...

• Like 1

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yes. Devices scan up to a certain range in all directions. The range being settable by the user. When it's in the middle of the area that you want covered, it covers the area, provided that you set the range far enough. That, of course, also covers parts of neighboring land but, although the devices see the avatars that are not on your land, they
  So stick it somewhere near the middle and set the range so that it covers the corners of your land, if that's what you want cover.

Fixed that. 
;)

I has a neighbor who put up a new device with too large a radius.  It added me to it's ban list without me entering the parcel.

I did say "No decent security devices" :)

Your neighbor's device might be old even though he got it recently, or he might have had in his inventory for a lot of years.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Fixed that. 
;)

I did say "No
decent
security devices
"
:)

Your neighbor's device might be old even though he got it recently, or he might have had in his inventory for a lot of years.

Because you didn't use the word "decent" in the post I quoted I thought you were speaking inclusively of all devices.

You also need to have it somewhere convenient for you to reach in order to turn it on and off, allow friends to enter the house, and so on.

Some months ago, Psyke Phaeton made his widely-used PDS security orb free and OS.   You might want to consider that, since it's very easily configurable.   I've used it for years, well before he made it free.

• 4 years later...

Hello not sure if anyone can help me i am renting land and i have an security orb every now and again i will come on to check the vistor log because i had ppl trying to enter withoiut permission ..now the rental place i'm renting from does have access ..what i want to know is does the security ball reset itself periodiocally or is someone from the rental place resetting it because they been on my property ...can someone please help because one day it was reset 4 times ... seriously concerned 

16 hours ago, LadyPhoenixK said:

Hello not sure if anyone can help me i am renting land and i have an security orb every now and again i will come on to check the vistor log because i had ppl trying to enter withoiut permission ..now the rental place i'm renting from does have access ..what i want to know is does the security ball reset itself periodiocally or is someone from the rental place resetting it because they been on my property ...can someone please help because one day it was reset 4 times ... seriously concerned 

This would be a question for your landlord - the person you rent from, especially if they are providing the security orb. If it's your own security orb then only you can reset it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.