"Buying" clothing isn't working right!

JoeMax93

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new to SL, and went to Help Island and tried to "purchase" some freebie clothes. It seemed like I was buying clothing - jacket, shoes, pants, etc. - but they ended up not listed as clothes but as "objects" in my inventory. And when I tried to wear them, they weren't clothes at all, but the SIGNS that advertized the clothes in the shop. It was like I had a big square sign sticking through my body!

So what have I done wrong? Is there a way to "convert" these sign-objects to clothes? If not, how do I get rid of them (they are kind of useless.) How do I buy the clothes being displayed on the signs in the shop, and not buy the sign?

Thank you!

Welcome to SL.

Clothes are often packed into a single object item for several reasons, but this you will easily solve by going to any place where you're allowed to putting objects on the ground (“rezzing” them), as distinguished by the fact that in the upper side of your Second Life viewer's window you won't see the symbol of a blocked cube anymore; such public places where anyone can rezz objects are often called “sandboxes”, so you only need to look, ask around to people, or search (Ctrl + F to open the search function) for one. Once there, drag the object item from your inventory and drop it onto the ground; then right-click on the ground rezzed object and choose “Open” from the menu that will appear: this will give you a folder (with the same name as the object) containing all the unpacked items you wanted to wear. After doing this, you better right-click again on the rezzed object and this time choose “Delete” (since you will often still have a copy of this object in your inventory, in case you need to do this again later... if you don't, because the object wasn't copyable, then choose “Take” instead of “Delete”), since sandbox owners will almost invariably expect you not to leave any clutter behind.

JoeMax93 wrote:

And when I tried to wear them, they weren't clothes at all, but the SIGNS that advertized the clothes in the shop. It was like I had a big square sign sticking through my body!

it will be a sad day when newbies skip the experience of wearing a box on their heads (extra points for doing it naked).

Pamela Galli wrote:

it will be a sad day when newbies skip the experience of wearing a box on their heads (extra points for doing it naked).

(:

+

Joe if you still reading here

Go to the Sandbox on Help Island. You can rez (drag-drop from Inventory) in the sandbox like others said already

Directions to sandbox:

out the door of the Freebie shop. Turn right. Over the little bridge. Past the big green Exit sign. Straight ahead for a bit then turn right and stop under the big blue rotating sign that says Press F1 for Help. And you in the middle of the Help Island sandbox

irihapeti wrote:

Go to the Sandbox on Help Island. You can rez (drag-drop from Inventory) in the sandbox like others said already

Directions to sandbox:

out the door of the Freebie shop. Turn right. Over the little bridge. Past the big green Exit sign. Straight ahead for a bit then turn right and stop under the big blue rotating sign that says Press F1 for Help. And you in the middle of the Help Island sandbox

Map  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Help Island Public Sandbox_001.jpg

And taxi: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Help%20Island%20Public/193/188/22

:smileyhappy:

irihapeti wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

(:

+

Directions to sandbox:

lol. I thought you were winding him up. I expected you to include "and straight on until morning" or something similar. But I was wrong. Well done for posting those helpful directions.

Phil Deakins wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

(:

+

Directions to sandbox:

lol. I thought you were winding him up. I expected you to include "
and straight on until morning
" or something similar. But I was wrong. Well done for posting those helpful directions.

straight on to morning

if follow Coby's map then that maybe might be true.

is optical illusion the way the arrows is pointing

if a new person tried that then end up maybe doing a backflip onto the roof of the freebie shop to start with. And being new and if somehow they do that then maybe will end up straight on til morning. after turn left at OIP for Pooley that is. Right again for Waterhead. and screaming the whole way

jejejeje (:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.