pc updating components

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a dual core 2.0 mhz cpu, 2gb ram and a nvidia ge force 8400 gs... I'm using right now sl wiht a low level graphich settings I would like to have more graphich option and to change it to med level but when i do it  i have slowind in writing ont the chat box.

I would like to update my pc even if it is a old one. WOULD i benefit if i add 2 more ram?

and if i update my video card?

or sl depend more on cpu usage and if i  change from low to med level i  will also use more processor and it would be a lot slow...

what do you think about it?
at moment I'm at  60 70 usage cpu from task manager.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best guess is that you'd get the most bang for your buck by upgrading to a new graphics card. More RAM wouldn't hurt, but I doubt it'd give much of an improvement compared to a new GPU. The 8400GS wasn't that impressive a card even when new, and it's probably 6 or 7 years old now.

Clearly it depends on what you are willing to spend, but a GTX 750 Ti is $125-150 and would make a huge difference.

That always assumes that your current power supply can handle it, of course.

emapen Juliesse wrote:

are you saying that i will be more fast in writing messages? even if my cpu is so old?

because i tried to change from low to med level quality... but i found out that it was using also more cpu ...

what do you think? could it be stand a cpu so old ?

Short answer: I can't be sure.

Longer answer: It sounded like you wanted to upgrade rather than replace your PC. The first thing I'd change is the GPU, because it's *likely* to give the best improvement for the least work and expense. I don't know what CPU you have, but replacing it might also involve a new motherboard, and then you're getting into replacing the whole machine. If you have a more complete set of specs it'd help (exact CPU, details on the motherboard, and PSU). Also, there are more people here who have more knowledge on the subject than me, so you'll probably get more opinions. They're likely to want more details, too.

eta: If you go to Help --> About Second Life in the viewwer menu (or Help --> About <whatever viewer>  in a thrid-party viewer) it'll list some of your system specifications in more detail. Just copy-paste them here like so:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 560 Processor (3315.1 MHz)

Memory: 4096 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.4052

OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz (1994.99 MHz)
Memory: 2048 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 32-bit 
Graphics Card: GeForce 8400 GS/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3788
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

i don't want to spend money at the moment I don't game  I only use sl for english improvement.

do you think my pc would benefit from adding 2 more ram even not considering (apart from) sl?

I don't have problems using sl with the lowest graphic level, but I would like to have more graphic because I will use it even in the future as second computer.

Max out your memory. With Win8, you need that. 2g is just barely enough to run your OS, forget about anything else. If you have the money, also upgrade your graphics card to the best your motherboard will support. Those specs should be with your motherboard documentation. It probably uses a PCI rather than a PCI-e slot, so you're going to have to go searching the web at places like Pricewatch.com that do the legwork for you.

Good luck.

emapen Juliesse wrote:

i don't want to spend money at the moment I don't game  I only use sl for english improvement.

do you think my pc would benefit from adding 2 more ram even not considering (apart from) sl?

Depends what else you're doing with the machine. If it's routinely swapping to disk, then yeah, more memory would help. And as Sassy suggests, one might expect Windows 8.1 to want to swap quite a bit with only 2 GB of physical memory.

The problem is, your motherboard has just two DDR2 memory slots, so to increase to 4 GB, you'd need to remove the two 1 GB sticks that are in there now, and replace them with two new 2 GB sticks. Unless you have that new memory already, it will cost maybe US$60, and you will not be able to re-use it when you eventually replace this machine (because a new computer will not use DDR2 memory).

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

It probably uses a PCI rather than a PCI-e slot, ...

I worried about that, too, but this machine is not quite that old. That old geforce card is actually PCI-e. First generation, but still a lot better than AGP or non-express PCI.

Looks like you can upgrade some on your video card and you can install up to 8 gig of memory on it.

What is meant by swapping is if your machine doesn't have enough memory, and 2 gigs really isn't enough for Win8, your computer will reserve a part of your hard drive as temporary memory as needed. It's a lot slower than actual physical memory.

Hope that helps

Wow. So, the way memory works in those machines is that a single slot runs much slower than two slots both with identical memory installed. Speed of memory access may not be the main bottleneck for your machine, but nonetheless, if you can find another 2GB DIMM that's identical to the one you already have (preferably exact same model, but definitely all the exact same timing values), it is very likely to make a real difference for general use of the machine.

This is what the manual says:

For dual channel configuration, you always need to install two identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) memory modules in the DDR2 DIMM slots to activate Dual Channel Memory Technology. Otherwise, it will operate at single channel mode.

I honestly don't know if you can get by with a slightly different model by the same manufacturer and the same frequency. They're probably also testing the detailed timing specs, too (latencies, etc), so it's most likely to work if you can find the exact same model.

Incidentally, that graphics card ("Asus" rather than "AUSS", I assume), looks reasonable to me. I mean, it's not exactly top-of-the-line, but it only draws 75W, and it doesn't require a separate power connection, so it looks likely to work for your application. It benchmarks 3D about ten times as fast as the graphics card you have now.

emapen Juliesse wrote:

CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz (1994.99 MHz)

Memory: 2048 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 32-bit 

Graphics Card: GeForce 8400 GS/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3788

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

Win 8 on a weakling dinosaur of a machine. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. No wonder you're lagging so badly.

Let's get real now. This is my suggestion:

- get rid of fukn Win8 and reinstall Win7. I'd would even say XP but the support for XP has just ended definately so it's open for all sorts of malware and virae. 

- feel a bit adventurous and are open for a  bit of learning and a new experience? Cool, install a nice and easy Linux OS, such as Linux Mint. This will give your zombie computer a new lease on life. And no fear, Linux isn't the geeky stuff it used to be anymore, it's even recommended for kiddies and the elderly nowadays.

- you PC is probably 8 - 9 years old now. That has given you 8 - 9 years time to save for a new one. So do it. Buy a new one. Now! All update attempts on your old one are nothing but wasted money and bad compromises. Let's not forget PCs are much cheaper today than back in the day. 800 - 1000 US$ should get you some decent machinery. Look at Newegg or Tiger Direct if you're in the States, or similar shops when you are elsewhere in the world. See it like that: you only need the big box since you already have keyboard, mouse and screen. Cool thing, eh?

1 win 7 was very worse it requires a lot of more ram, it is so much better win 8. http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+is+Using+Less+Memory+Than+Windows+7/article22986.htm

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brunoterkaly/archive/2013/01/14/windows-8-is-definitely-faster-than-windows-7.aspx

sorry this is what i read and what i noted  but I'm not an expert

2 I can't use linux because I need my dictionaries i need word files and compatibility.

3 unfortunately I can't buy a new one, i need also to buy a new laptop. so even it is old i would not like to put aside.

i have no problem with win 8 at the moment i would only like to know if i will have a better solution updating ram firstly. and secondly video card for using it on second life...

actually i m using second life ans writing the message my ram isat  73 - 70 75 % from the task manager. now my cpu at 90 but was 70 85 max the last time. I have closed all the icon in the taskbar so for example skype and others software to maximize the usage of the ram.

Do you think i will gerenally befefit from addding 2 more ram? it is worth the price? I would like to use the pc for  other 3 5  years but as second pc and for surfing if sl will not work in the future.

Thank you

If all you're using Second life for is English, use a text viewer instead.  If you have the option, use a different operating system other than Windows 8.  Either Windows XP or Linux if that's an option for you.  That wa you won't waste near half your memory in operating system alone.

There is also a debug setting for the viewer to limit MaxHeapSize I think it is from memory, try setting that to something like 0.5 to constrain a gui viewer from consuming all memory and causing swapping.  Sometimes this doesn't work, i'm not sure if all the viewers honour this setting.

(Yes I know Windows XP is out of support but that doesn't automatically consign it to the scrap heap).

i have no problem at the moment with sl in setted up to low graphic  but i would like to know if would be benefecial to my all computer to add 2 more ram and if changing the video card will be i able to move from low to med or between low to med .

i m not facing problem with win 8 so i would like to not change os

what do you guys think?

Given the extra info I think adding the extra RAM would help, particularly if you can get an exact match (if your budget stretches to it, getting 2 new sticks would guarantee a match). From Qie's post, it sounds like that would be a significant improvement to overall performance.

Specific to SL, a better graphics card would be a real boost. Depending on how long it is before you can replace your machine, it could be something that you could transfer to a new PC. The one I suggested (a GTX 750 Ti) would need at least a 300W PSU, however. Given the age and low spec of your PC, it's quite possible the one it has wouldn't be enough. So check the power requirement of any card you consider. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.