pc updating components

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

what do you mean saying the exact same match ( could i opt for one slot with the same brand and same frequency or i need to buy all the 2 slot again?)

i would opt for this video card :VGA ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 Core 1046MHz Memory GDDR5 5010MHz 1024MB DVI HDMI because ist is auto alimented so i don't need alimentation

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

emapen Juliesse wrote:

what do you mean saying the exact same match ( could i opt for one slot with the same brand and same frequency or i need to buy all the 2 slot again?)

i would opt for this video card :
VGA ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 Core 1046MHz Memory GDDR5 5010MHz 1024MB DVI HDMI because ist is auto alimented so i don't need alimentation

From what Qie wrote, it sounds like they don't have to be bought together, as long as they're identical.

"For dual channel configuration, you always need to install two identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) memory modules in the DDR2 DIMM slots to activate Dual Channel Memory Technology. Otherwise, it will operate at single channel mode.

I honestly don't know if you can get by with a slightly different model by the same manufacturer and the same frequency. They're probably also testing the detailed timing specs, too (latencies, etc), so it's most likely to work if you can find the exact same model."

The cheap option is to make the computer a dual boot machine.  So, you have linux or Mac OSX on one partition and Windows 8 on the other partition. I recommend a Mac OSX, whichcost you $30 from Amazon.  You need Snow Leopard (Amazon), but then you can upgrade from Apple on the latest OS. There is a few Asrock asrock G31M-GS hackintosh on Youtube.  You need to check out the forums, but just google your motherboard and hackintosh.  I have used Mac Office 2011, which includes word. My employer gives me a great discount on that package, but most of your large organizations will offer that to their employees.

Apple requires at least 2 Gigs of ram.  I probably opt for the Nvidia 740GT than 640GT.   There is some cool features in the debug menu for MacOSx in Secondlife, which is listed on this website. http://www.blakopal.com/mac/

Your best option is to build a new computer, but this will work as well.

thank you for your advice. I don't have problems at the moment with win 8 is running normal(good)  and even with sl, i set up to low and i can do anything and write fast but basically as I said I would like to know if adding 2 more ram would be befenicial to my pc because i m going to still use this pc for  another 2 -5 years , i need it because  before I'm going  to buy a new laptop.

regarding sl i would like to know if i change my video card will i be able to move from low setiing video to any level upper like mid or between mide and low....?

thank you again and sorry for the requests and questions

The short answer is "yes", you will benefit by adding that extra 2 GB memory Again, I just don't know exactly how "identical" to your existing memory it needs to be to successfully trigger that dual channel performance, and that's a good result if you can get it, but even if you try and it fails to go dual-channel, you'll still have twice as much memory, so you'll be able to run more programs at the same time without causing the dreaded swapping to disk.

If you really are committed to keeping the machine for another two or more years, that additional RAM seems a worthwhile investment, even though it's all throw-away with the machine at the end.

A new graphics card, in theory, could move to a new machine when you scrap this one. In fact, however, that's likely to be throw-away at the end, too. Obviously, if you don't have a desktop machine at all, just a notebook, then you won't re-use that graphics card. But even if you get another desktop, if that happens more like five years from now, any graphics card you buy now will be quite obsolete by then.

Still, if you can afford that new graphics card, I think it will dramatically improve SL performance compared to what you have now.

(I don't know why all the fuss about operating systems in this thread. I admit, however, that if it were me, I'd probably take the free upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1, just because 8.1 is pretty nice and, hey, it's free.)

well probably i wil opt for a dual boot with linux for sl :  it requires  less cpu usage https://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/  1.5 mhz  and accorting to what wrote in sl official reccommended requirement it is good this video card sohttp://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt/specifications THAT IT IS STILL 512 MB AS MINE VIDEO CARD

what do you think is the reason why when i change the  sl  settings from low to mid in video graphic section  I have slowing in writing messages?  DOES IT DEDEND ON VIDEO CARD RAM OR CPU?

I will still use windows 8 and probably update the ram  so I can use  word office and ....

well it's kinda strange. I found out that my video card is very outdate, nvidia webpage says it is 256 mb http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt/specifications

but with cpu z software it recognizes  512 mbytes

in the reccomend sl specifications they talk about these  video cards

NVIDIA Graphics cards

9000 Series:

• 9600, 9800

Need I to upgrade my video card even using Linux ? 

what's your thoughts?

Why are we talking about this 9600 GT card now? It's really, really old, almost as ancient as the one you have currently. Back then, it required a tremendous amount of power to get much performance, so that card needs a minimum of 400W power supply. (That said, its 3D performance is about 6.5 times as fast as yours.)

You can certainly install Linux dual-boot if you want. I've used one or another Linux distro on the desktop for many years and it runs SL just fine (well... "fine", that is, with proprietary graphics drivers, a 32-bit install, and nVidia graphics, which is what you'd be doing). But in practice, I doubt you'll notice much performance difference between SL on Windows 8 and SL on Linux, even with this under-powered machine. 

so what do you think i need to do to have much graphic on sl? if i use sl with linux that uses less cpu and ram and with a new video card could I use more graphic level with no slowing in writing?

I was talking about the video card because I could split money: basically updating my video card now and using sl with linux

and buy later ram because actually wind 8 is not much in trouble for what i do

Qie Niangao wrote:

The short answer is "yes", you will benefit by adding that extra 2 GB memory Again, I just don't know exactly how "identical" to your existing memory it needs to be to successfully trigger that dual channel performance, and that's a good result if you can get it, but even if you try and it fails to go dual-channel, you'll still have twice as much memory, so you'll be able to run more programs at the same time without causing the dreaded swapping to disk.

If you really are committed to keeping the machine for another two or more years, that additional RAM seems a worthwhile investment, even though it's all throw-away with the machine at the end.

A new graphics card, in
theory
, could move to a new machine when you scrap this one. In
fact
, however, that's likely to be throw-away at the end, too. Obviously, if you don't have a desktop machine at all, just a notebook, then you won't re-use that graphics card. But even if you get another desktop, if that happens more like five years from now, any graphics card you buy now will be quite obsolete by then.

Still, if you can afford that new graphics card, I think it will dramatically improve SL performance compared to what you have now.

(I don't know why all the fuss about operating systems in this thread. I admit, however, that if it were me, I'd probably take
, just because 8.1 is pretty nice and, hey, it's free.)

All of Windows versions to date are resource hogs, so the only way that I know of getting around it is to use another OS.  I beta tested  Windows 2012 server for months, which is similar to your Windows 8.  Windows 2012 server you can beta test for free for 6 months from Microsoft, and it ran SL as well.    I refuse to upgrade to Windows 8 at all.   I recommend to someone to use Windows 7 64 bit version, but you need at least 8 gigs of ram to run the OS.  Windows 7 64 bit is much better OS than Windows 8.  I never have to do reinstalls on Windows 7. 

If I build a computer and my plans is to run Windows 7 64 bit, then it has 16GB of ram.  His motherboard is to old to update, but the only work around is to OS change and dual boot option.   Cheaper to buy a new motherboard and the latest ram.  There has been lot of changes to the motherboard in the past 7 years.  I bought new ram for older computers, but the cost is much higher.  

It cost him $70 to upgrade to 4GB ram from Newegg, based on his ram specs.  My last PC that I built used Corsair ram, but it cost for 16GB only $174.  If I chose 8GB ram, then the cost would have only been $90. 

As far as the video card is concerned, then if he buys a new video card.   This card will be using PCI-E 3.0.   His motherboard spec is PCI-E 2.0, but the video card that he buy would run at PCI-E 2.0 specs.   So your performance won't be that great.   The new spec is going to PCI-E 4.0, but not going to be released to about 2015 or 2016. 

The best option is to build a new PC, because you might not have to use a video card.  A motherboard will only cost you $84 on up.  Depends on the options.  Asrock is usually the cheapest motherboard on the market.   The new haswell cpu's have built in video, so you can try that in SL.  I ran one on IVY bridge on my HTPC, but a video card is the best option.    Just need a cpu, ram, motherboard, and you need a new powersupply.  I recommend buying an SSD, but the cost is not that much now.  I boot my PC in 2 secs, but the SSD is best thing out there.   Eventually OP powersupply will fail and it will be game over!

Linux is certainly not going to magically make SL tolerable on your machine without upgrading both memory and graphics card. In my opinion, once you add memory and replace the graphics card (with something like that 640 you mentioned before, or better), your SL experience will be much improved, whether you're on Windows or Linux.

I also suspect that you'll spend days getting dual-boot and a new Linux installation to work the way you want, only to discover that SL performance is nearly indistiguishable between Windows and Linux.

I don't know about the typing slowdown specifically.

yeah you said cheaper  And you need to add that i have to contact a pc expert for changing all... so motherboard + 8 ram + video card  + pc expert  hour to work on it.

i could add ram and video card by myself

What do you think of upgrading the ram to 4  and using sl with linux?  need i also to upgrade my video card?

i had a dual boot 10 years ago I remembered there was a software partition magic that it is very easy use to use...

i did it also using dos but I forgot how to do...

which is the best linux distribution?

Sparks Racecourse wrote:
 Cheaper to buy a new motherboard and the latest ram.  There has been lot of changes to the motherboard in the past 7 years.  I bought new ram for older computers, but the cost is much higher.  

Y'all can believe whatever magic you want about operating systems, but let's at least get the hardware facts straight. This motherboard takes stock DDR2 DIMMs, and they're cheap. (Well, memory prices in general are relatively high now, only gradually returning to the historic lows of a few years ago.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

Sparks Racecourse wrote:
 Cheaper to buy a new motherboard and the latest ram.  There has been lot of changes to the motherboard in the past 7 years.  I bought new ram for older computers, but the cost is much higher.  

Y'all can believe whatever magic you want about operating systems, but let's at least get the hardware facts straight. This motherboard takes stock DDR2 DIMMs, and they're cheap. (Well, memory prices in general are relatively high now, only gradually returning to the historic lows of a few years ago.)

I looked at Newegg prices, but the OP sounds like he is in Europe.   No Newegg!  A friend is from Germany and she says it is difficult to get some components and the costs are higher than we pay in the USA.   Yes, you can use cheap components, but it could fail too.   Upgrading that motherboard is not his best option.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006066&IsNodeId=1&Description=DDR2%20800&name=4GB%20%282%20x%202GB%29&Order=BESTMATCH

4GB requires 2 slots.   I used Gskill and Corsair, and had no issues.  I had issues with cheaper brands.  Those prices are in the USA. 

Mac OSX runs great in SL, because you have those settings.   Windows or Linux users don't get to use multiple cores.   A creator friend didn't know about those settings, but she is former Alpha mesh creator.  I showed her those settings, and she couldn't believe on how better SL worked on her Macbook Pro.  

emapen Juliesse wrote:

yeah you said cheaper  And you need to add that i have to contact a pc expert for changing all... so motherboard + 8 ram + video card  + pc expert  hour to work on it.

i could add ram and video card by myself

What do you think of upgrading the ram to 4  and using sl with linux?  need i also to upgrade my video card?

i had a dual boot 10 years ago I remembered there was a software partition magic that it is very easy use to use...

i did it also using dos but I forgot how to do...

which is the best linux distribution?

If you build a PC, it just takes a screwdriver.  You have to carefully align the cpu, but it is not that hard. Building pc's are rather easy, because it just plugs in now.  Building the first pc is a bit, but just take your time and read the instructions.   Need a static wrist strap. In the USA, we have a local company that will allow you to select out your components.  Then they will build your computer for only $80.  

Why upgrade an old motherboard, since the cost for new components is basically the same.  You are looking at $170 ram and video card for those to upgrades alone.   I am in the USA, but sounds like you are in Europe.   I used Newegg to get the prices.  Amazon sells components, but you need to create an estimate. Every component in your current PC has estimated life, and you are past the life of your pc now.    My first Dell PC that I bought in 1998,  and it lasted 10 years.  My Dell was upgraded, but it was more costly to do the upgrades.  I have been in computers since 1982, but most of them was pre-built pc's.  A friend talked me into building a PC in 2008, and I been doing since that time. I have built servers, Home Theater PC's, etc.         

I never ran Linux for SL, but I have made Hackintosh's in the past.  I had used Ubuntu in the past, but I prefer a better gui.   A friend ran Linux, but she said SL viewer didnt work that well on the Linux. 

Partition magic was sold years ago, but there is a Gparted Live.

yeah but even if i could read english easily  I could not understand all the meaning in the guideline.. thank you for your information.

I will probably opt to update only the ram and use sl in low graphic level until It will not be anymore possible

i think a 2g ram would cost 30 euro and i think i would benefict from the updating because as i saId i could not buy a pc now and my first buying will be a laptop.

I will try the same brand and the same frequent. there will be problems?

Qie Niangao wrote:

Sparks Racecourse wrote:

Unfortunately, DDR2 can be more expensive now than DDR3 because of its comparative rarity. 2x4GB for my box would be under £50; for the motherboard the OP uses, it's almost £110. (Newegg UK prices for the same brand, but I'm guessing mainland Europe isn't so much different).

eta: I checked, they don't ship to Germany 

DDR3 costs less thank ddr2 according to me. But i will opt to update only 2 gb of ddr2 and not run linux because another user said a friend of him had problems with sl compatibility

thank you for your help

what do you think? i have found a seller here where I'm liviing .I will pay 30 for 1 slot and 2 slot 60 and i will have the option to resend back to them if the ram will not work and be refunded

i will opt for 1 slot...  I don't know about html5 and future ... so I think that will be the best possibility to update a little my pc.

what do you think?

Seems a worthwhile way to proceed. Those prices (in Euros, I assume) are higher than what I see here (Newegg's Canadian site), but not outrageously so.

Here, the prices for 2GB memory modules are about the same for DDR2 and DDR3. That's completely different for 4GB modules, however, which were always slightly exotic, high-capacity components for DDR2, but very common in DDR3. (So yeah, if you needed to go to 8GB with only two slots of DDR2, that would be expensive.)

EDIT TO ADD: I do hope you're also able to do that graphics card upgrade, if you'll continue to use this machine for SL. Specifically for SL, that will make even more difference than the memory, I would guess, although both are needed. The memory, on the other hand, will be especially useful for non-SL uses. Also, incidentally, I know from personal experience that 64-bit Windows 8.1 works fine on a machine with only 4GB of memory: that's what's on this machine right now. (It used to have 8 GB and Linux, but... long boring story.) It's fine running SL and Blender and Gimp, although it will of course swap them out to disk when I change focus from one to the other. I have a big, fast SSD, so swapping isn't that painful on this machine.

• 6 months later...

This is a really old thread, but in case anybody's still interested I'd caution that the poster was talking of Linux dual-booting, and I really wouldn't wish an AMD card on anyone running Linux. I suffered through that for years, and although the AMD specs and raw benchmarks always look better for the price, it's just not worth the recurring misery every Linux update.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

I hate to tell you this, but Windows is a dead operating system

FIFY!

Which is a bit unfortunate, since I believe LL has said that Linux won't be supported in SL V2.

If you quote others, quote them correctly and not in a manipulative way by deleting  important statements.

jonhnnyroleplay actually wrote

"I hate to tell you this, but Windows 8/8.1 is a dead operating system" and referred to the upcoming windows 10 with this.

What was your plan when you eliminated the  8/8.1 from the quote?  Spreading hate  against Linux? Spreading general FUD?

J.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.