make a river

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there. You can make a large prim or several large prims to fill the depression you make in the ground. amoung the items you get for free in your library from LL, are some water textures with will give an ocean look. you can also get different types of scripts for flowwing water. you shoud also have one of these amongst your freebie textures kindly supplied by LL. experiment coz it will take a little time to get it how you really want it. good luck

There are two ways to do this.  It depends on how high your land is from sea level and if you can terraform  and how active you want the water to appear.

You can dig at trench out deep enough so the the water around a sim comes up through the ground.  The bottom of the trench should have be at 18 meters at least.  It may need to be deeper depending on the boat you use.    If you have enough land you can make the river wide and add rocks and islands.  Unless you also want a canyon effect your land needs to be only a meter or two higher than the water level of 20m,  You can boat on this water, but the water will look somewhat placid unless you add phantom prims of animated foam and/or particle splashes.

If your land is more than 22-23 meter elevation, and you don't want a canyon effect, you will need to dig a trench out as deep as you want and place prims with an animated water texture in the trench near the top of the trench.  You can also add rocks, animated foam prims and particle splashes for a more rapids effect.

If you can't terraform your land you can create or buy sculpted river beds to lay on top of the land.

If you don't know how to create what you need can find complete river kits with the things you need to create the look you want on Marketplace and inworld..  Since realism is important I would go and look at rivers constructed by the kits in world. The creator should be able to give you landmarks to examples.

See also a jira asking for a way to "build" a surface that renders as Linden / Windlight water.

The "anti-water" part of that jira is becoming urgent with increased use of deferred rendering, breaking invisiprims, which was the only way to stop Linden water from rendering for entry to underwater tunnels, below-the-waterline spaces in boats, etc.

Qie Niangao wrote:

See also

The "anti-water" part of that jira is becoming urgent with increased use of deferred rendering, breaking invisiprims, which was the only way to stop Linden water from rendering for entry to underwater tunnels, below-the-waterline spaces in boats, etc.

Qie, as you may know LL colosed the Jira on the broken invisiprims so I started a new one requesting hiding water as a new feature. 

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-29340

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

Good morning

I want to have a river on my land,now i know the landscaping but how do I make the river with moving water and currents?

I want to have a boat on it so should look realistic,please help :-)

For prims water I like to use 2 layers of textures one moving slightly slower then the other and or using a different water texture.  All so using Torus and spheres can make swirling water currents which can help break up a large flat straight flowing water currents.

Here's the script you need, it's really simple I all so included a link to the function description to help you edit it if your new to LSL

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetTextureAnim

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetTextureAnim(ANIM_ON | SMOOTH | LOOP , ALL_SIDES, 1, 1, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    }
}

The cheap and crappy way is to use a mega prim with a water texture, and just terraform the land unevenly around it, so that it appears to have 'jagged' edges as a real stream might. 

If you want to get a bit fancier, you can animate the texture, which would require a script.

There are also many merchants which sell beautiful rivers and streams ready-made.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.