curious neighbors

dogmouse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Just wondering...is there a way to make my little green dot that represents me on the mini map disappear?

I have nice neighbors, but sometimes when i get really busy, i dont want anyone to know that i am at home. Simply turning off my online status doesnt help, because they can still see me on my parcel. 

See what i mean?

Just curious.

Besides going in busy mode and setting an auto response message you also can make yourself invisble inworld for others*. 

In your parcel properties (About Land) go to the Options tab and there uncheck 'Allow other residents to see and chat with residents on this parcel'. Note though, the green dot will not disappear..but neighbours don't see you when they cam in or drop by.

*In the offical viewer you can anyway, not sure about 3rd party ones.

Unregistered scripted bots (TOS Violation) and camping will continue to be a problem as long as LL keeps the old 1.x search running  so obsolete third party viewers have the obsolete traffic driven search.

You can AR the suspected bots. But they might not be bots. They might be paid campers.

The thing to do is simply boycott operations that have traffic falsification. You can AR the owner for unfair use of region resources but I would not expect the resi team to do anything about it anytime soon. They won't even clean up piles of lsl scripted spy objects (old Conover style devices) or megaprims set white with full glow stuck in no object entry lines in regions.

You can alternatively begin publicly asking rodvik why the old search is still running. It should have been shuttered over a year ago and TPVs be forced to use the new search.

except the part where traffic driven search is also included in the new search (just not the default, but then neither is it in oldstyle ALL web search), or the other part where the "obsolete" viewers run with more stability, lower resource usage, and more features than the official client. And let's not forget that certain things are only available via old search (such as classified run by particular users) or that traffic is a useful metric for land owners to judge interest in their own location.

there should be a notation in profiles of scripted bot status, but there isn't, and that IS a problem.

PS
camping on search enabled parcels is also against ToS, but largely gotten around by things like "lucky chairs" which encourage the behavior of sitting around doing nothing without actually requiring it.

There are also those "sploder" things still running the old way. I see some places with loads of apparent sploder bots idling.

LL made the rules. They need to enforce them on everyone. Not allow some to get away with it while enforcing it on others.

(However i might just buy a parcel in front of one certain sploder palace just to leech off their rule breaking :P )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.