You've Got Till November 1st...........................

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only skimmed through all the flap threads (FLAP, I said) about this whole topic because games I have to pay to play really don't interest me any more in SL than they do in RL. But I did click the 'meet certain qualifications' link in the Linden blog post you linked. One item puzzles me.

I own a region and would like it to be converted to a Skill Gaming Region. What do I need to do?

• Submit a support ticket and pay the applicable maintenance fee.
  • Skill Gaming Regions will begin rolling out in late July, 2014.
  • Once your region has been designated a Skill Gaming Region, you will need to become an approved operator if you would like to operate games of skill on that region. For more details, please review the Skill Gaming Policy and application.
  • Note: Skill Gaming Regions cannot be located adjacent to non-Skill Gaming Regions.

The bolded line. What does that mean, exactly? Are all skill gaming regions on one continent?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I have only skimmed through all the flap threads (FLAP, I said) about this whole topic because games I have to pay to play really don't interest me any more in SL than they do in RL. But I did click the 'meet certain qualifications' link in the Linden blog post you linked. One item puzzles me.

I own a region and would like it to be converted to a Skill Gaming Region. What do I need to do?
  • and pay the applicable maintenance fee.
  • Skill Gaming Regions will begin rolling out in late July, 2014.
  • Once your region has been designated a Skill Gaming Region, you will need to become an approved operator if you would like to operate games of skill on that region. For more details, please review the
    and
  • Note: Skill Gaming Regions cannot be located adjacent to non-Skill Gaming Regions.

The bolded line. What does that mean, exactly? Are all skill gaming regions on one continent?

Well, I am prohibited from accessing due to my state but from what I have seen they are all on private/estate SIMs.   I don't think there is an official LL SIM or Region.

The reason for the adjacentcy rule is to keep people from camming into and playing from a non skill SIM.

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

Will LL just take out the games or shut down or take over the land the games are on? That is the question. Been seeing more and more Estates/mainland places popping up thinking they can bypass the rule, even offering 1 or 2 freeplay games to attract traffic.

Right now that post says they are only going to take down.

I'd guess that any one putting something up after they had it taken down would risk further censorship.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Skill game regions may not be on the mainland
.  They must be on private sims that do no connect to a non skill game sim.  However they may be connected to another private region that is a skill game sim.

I think that "...may not be on the mainland..." was the clue I needed, so thanks. I've been seeing it all from a mainlander's point of view, and from there that restriction doesn't make sense. Having just now read up a bit on how Private Regions work and what they are, I get it completely.

I've never paid any attention to the rules for and the workings of private regions, because owning one has never been in my plans. I just knew there was such a thing but had no idea of the way they worked.

Callum Meriman wrote:

All to protect a small handfull of two bit, backwater provinces in the USA.

• Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee

No actually they are following Federal US laws concerning gambling.  The states listed above have additional laws that prohibit on line gaming.  If they find out a country or other states passed a law prohibiting it they'll be added to the list too.

Like it or not, LL is a US company and must follow the law in the US.  You agreed to that when you agreed to the TOS.

BTW: These are states not provinces.  A state is a sovereign entity and all powers of government reside in the states unless the constitution says something falls under the authority of the Federal Government.  Many of the states on the list are larger than some countries in area, population, and the size of their economy.  They are hardly 2 bit backwaters.

"Two bit, backwater Provinces"??????? REALLY?? Here's information on the economy of Florida, alone!!

Economy Strengths:

• International Trade (40% of all U.S. exports to Latin and South America pass through Florida)
  • Tourism - with 87.3 million visitors in 2011 (a record number), Florida is the top travel destination in the world. The tourism industry has an economic impact of $67 billion on Florida’s economy. Click here for additional tourism facts and statistics.
  • Space Industry - The space industry represents $4.1 billion of the state's economy. The average annual wage of aerospace workers is approximately $67,000. The number employed at Kennedy Space Center (KSC) alone is 13,000 and Florida ranks 4th among the states in overall aerospace employment with 33,000 jobs.
  • Agriculture - Florida leads the southeast in farm income. Florida produces about 67% of the U.S. oranges and accounts for about 40% of the world's orange juice supply.
  • Construction - This industry's strength results from the steady stream of new residents and visitors who are welcomed to Florida each year.
  • Services - growth in high tech, financial & back office operations
  • Software - many small, entrepreneurial companies
  • Health Technology (medical, biotech, laboratories)
  • University Research - more than $500 million per year in sponsored research at Florida universities
  • (Click Here) for more information on Florida's economy

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Callum Meriman wrote:

All to protect a small handfull of two bit, backwater provinces in the USA.

If any of you ever visit Rhinelander, WI...

Backwaters.jpg

I had to go look that up (if for no other reason than it looks like a neat place to visit, in a different season). It's of course called Backwaters because it's on what's apparently called 'the backwaters' of the Wisconsin River. Once I was there in Google Maps I just kept following the river downstream, on and on. I was in Wisconsin a couple of times and wondered if I'd ever met that river. I had the zoom in fairly close.

Wow, you people have a lot of water. For a Californian (especially right now, in the midst of one or our worse droughts ever), it was almost too much to take in. Water everywhere! As it turns out I never got to the Wisconsin; my southernmost visit had me turning west back toward Minnesota north of the junction with the Mississippi and my northernmost visit didn't get me far enough east.

In California, as in most of the west, we tend to call the collection of springs and creeks and lesser rivers and such that come together to form the first parts of our rivers the headwaters. Apparently in Wisconsin they call it the backwaters.

Probably a Wisconsin thing.

/quote
If they find out a country or other states passed a law prohibiting it they'll be added to the list too.
/unquote

I think it's highly unlikely LL will examine the laws of 200 or so countries. Much more likely seems that LL will include more jurisdictions to their exclusion list only when pressed hard by such jurisdictions. Such pressure is most likely the source of the new games policy also, I don't believe for a second that LL just discovered 2 months ago that some states in the USA have "no online gaming" laws.

If LL would approach the issue proactively, for example Italy would have been included in the "no access" list already.
Italy requires a permit issued by the Italian State Agency for all providers of online skill games who service Italian citizens.
Italian law is apparently deemed a "good guideline" by other european lawmakers, so further down the road this could very well result in another experience similar to the VAT-thing some years ago.

kind regards,
Marishka 

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wow, you people have a lot of water. 

Minnesota license plates carry the slogan "Land of 10,000 Lakes". They actually have 11,842.

Wisconsin has 15,074 lakes and our license plates say "America's Dairyland".

California's diary production far exceeds Wisconsin's, so you're actually America's dairyland, although your license plates say "The Golden State" when it's a mix of green and, increasingly, brown.

I think there must be a law that license plate slogans be wrong.

Wisconsin is like Michigan, in that you are never more than 4 miles or so from a lake wherever you are! Our stupid license plates say different things depending on the version you pick. I HATE the slogan "Pure Michigan"...just dumb to me...lol!  I prefer the ones that say "Great Lakes Splendor" with a view of the Mackinac bridge.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wow, you people have a lot of water. 

Minnesota license plates carry the slogan "Land of 10,000 Lakes". They actually have 11,842.

Wisconsin has 15,074 lakes and our license plates say "America's Dairyland".

California's diary production far exceeds Wisconsin's, so you're actually America's dairyland, although
your license plates say "The Golden State" when it's a mix of green and, increasingly, brown.

I think there must be a law that license plate slogans be wrong.

We call that green and gold, actually. The original 'gold' in the description was driven by the incredible amount of gold the state produced from 1849 on, but we've seem to let it also mean the color of tall dry grass a month or two after the rains stop.

I'll come around a turn and see a vista of rolling hills in, say, late May or early June. By then the live oaks have all refreshed with leaves as green as can be, and the grass is dry as toast and pale to downriight glossy yellow, depending. Someone from a place that gets a normal amount of precipitation would probably think, "Man. Kinda dry around here.". I think, "Wow, that's beautiful.".

It's all about what you're used to.

We sure could use just a bit more rain this year, though. Another one like the last couple and we'll be hurtin' for certain.

live-oak.jpg

Dillon Levenque wrote:

It's all about what you're used to.

We sure could use just a bit more rain this year, though. Another one like the last couple and we'll be hurtin' for certain.

live-oak.jpg

Where I come from, you're green and brown. I will say that the drive from SF Bay to Monterey/Carmel is one of my favorites. And Sequoia National Forest is, and I'm using this word quite correctly... awesome.

I hope you Californ-i-a folks get some rain as well.

And Sequoia National Forest is, and I'm using this word quite correctly...
awesome

I hope you Californ-i-a folks get some rain as well.

Yeah. We used to camp each summer in a state park along what's called "The Avenue of the Giants": a two-lane road that goes for miles through old-growth redwood groves. It used to be the main north-south highway (US 101) on the coastal side of Northern California. They built a four-lane freeway that by-passed it. Lots of people were against it, because it required cutting down a hell of lot of old growth trees, but the end result is that people in a hurry can stay on the freeway and admire the trees at speed, while those who turn off and take the Avenue can putter along to their heart's content.

We'd usually take the first Avenue turn-off. You don't really get into the trees until after you go through the little town of Miranda (we were coming from the south). Just north of Miranda the road goes straight into the center of a grove. You are suddenly right up against those awesome trees. I loved that. A dozen or more trips and it got me every time. There was a place just past the first turn with nice flat open space to park. There were ALWAYS cars parked there, facing north. ALWAYS. I just knew they'd come around that corner and had an OMG moment. Pull over, get out, and walk.

The pic is just one that's representative of the Avenue of the Giants; I did not learn where it was taken. Doesn't really matter; miles and miles of that road look like this.Avenue.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.