Why do skin/hair makers delete their products?

Cheesypuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just got some shapes and reading the style cards, the skins and hair featured no longer exist :matte-motes-angry:

Why do creators withdraw skins and hair?? I can understand doing it inworld, but not from Marketplace?? :matte-motes-sour:

Why get rid of old products and make them unavailable? They must be losing out on money...from customers like me.

Sometimes they leave for good and shut down..

Some don't wish to keep things up without support..

For instance,What if you had a bad transaction and could not get ahold of the creator?

There can be lots of reasons though why they shut down..

Getting out of the business to do somethign else and stopping support IM's and notecards from coming in all the time, can be a pretty good one really..

Cheesypuff wrote:

Just got some shapes and reading the style cards, the skins and hair featured no longer exist :matte-motes-angry:

Why do creators withdraw skins and hair?? I can understand doing it inworld, but not from Marketplace?? :matte-motes-sour:

Why get rid of old products and make them unavailable? They must be losing out on money...from customers like me.

Currently many skin buyers want appliers for mesh bodies/body parts and it's a lot of work for a skin maker if they have a large number of skin tones available. Discontinuing older skins makes this process easier and they don't risk having buyers getting an old skin and then complaining about not being able to get appliers for it.

As far as hair, I think some of the makers just get tired of their old styles and feel they don't reflect well on them anymore.

They may be older sculpt or prim hair and discontinued..

That happens a lot.

Sometimes before they discontinue an item they may throw on a sale of them and then are gone for good..

If you can't find them anywhere,i would say something to the person that made the notecard so they can update their add..

ETA: You can also try in the "Your avatar" section of the forums and ask if anyone knows where you can get similar styles you are looking for..

There could be some good styles that were inspired by the ones you are looking for..

From Magika's website (link from the owner's profile):

Magika hair release 2014-08-17

I remade my store :D

The sculpted hair retirement sale is still going on, but you have to use the teleportal at the landing point to get there.

So, looks like it's probably been retired. Why not IM the owner to ask if it is still available? It can't hurt to try.

I'm not a skin or hair designer, but I pull some of my older products for multiple reasons:

1. It's outdated and I feel it no longer reflects my skill as a designer

2. I've run out of ideas for group gifts/lucky chair prizes.

3. I want to phase out items that never really sold well in the first place.  They tend to sell a lot better when they're on closeout.

yes, main reasons are:

1) people'd complain about how bad it is because technology has moved on (think what you'd think if a store were still selling 2005 style system hair...)

2) ditto because the creator's skill has greatly improved

3) limited floorspace in the shop. If you've room for 20 items to sell, and aren't selling enough to warrant getting a bigger parcel, you want to offer the 20 best items you have (best selling, but that's likely to be the highest quality as well).

Some creators will leave stuff up on the marketplace for a while that's been retired from in world shops, sometimes under an alt account. Others may no longer offer it in their main store but have affiliate vendors that still have it out there (afaik Magika doesn't do that).

But yes, contact them. They may be happy to help you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.