Who was Nightmare Dench?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been reading about SL's history and the name Nightmare Dench keeps coming up. I know he was some sort of bad news, but who was he? Did anyone here know him? Why did he get a bad rep? He has a website where he claims to have really been Plexus Linden, was this true? 

Obviously a well known griefer and scammer who got banned years ago. Wherever you may search, there is absolutely no evidence that he ever was a Linden, despite claiming he was a former LL employee who worked for the Emerald team. 

Just a bit of litterature to satisfy your curiosity... ;)

http://darlingbrody.blogspot.fr/2010/01/my-first-scammer-nightmare-dench.html

https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nightmare%20dench

Claiming to be a Linden is one of the oldest tricks in the book for griefers to avoid being AR'd.  Although there have been rumors for years that some early Lindens, who are no long Lindens, griefed on alts, there is no way to verify it, so I would pay no attention to that part of the story.

I've AR'd an actual Linden Mole.

It was the wrong call on my part. Back in 2009 I think.

BUT, I'm still here.

If you see someone doing something you think is wrong - file the AR. No matter what's on their name or group tag or whatever.

If you're wrong, you're wrong - and deal with that. If at the time you genuinely think something is up and something needs to be said about it - that's not a false or malicious AR, just an errant one.

Actually if someone CLAIMS to be a linden, but isn't on a linden avatar when they do it... I'd file the AR even if nearly everyone knew they were  a Linden - because I'm pretty sure that's against their own policy and they're supposed to be discreet about being Lindens when on their 'off work alts'.

But I'm even more sure that as the poster above me notes - false claims of being a linden is a very big offense.

We even lost one person who used to be a regular in these forums for using an avatar with a display name that was something like LlNDEN  (can you spot what I did there?)... And they were doing that to 'stop' something they thought was a griefer if I recall right. A lot of people thought they had good intentions, but they violated one of the 'big rules' and so... zap.

(I also used to AR Governor Linden almost daily... but that is because the support system more or less used to be... AR the governor to get your land issue into the queue... :D )

I knew him and he helped me many times. I knew him from Frisco and YES he worked at Linden Labs I had lunch with him three or four times. I was a driver for a company who was a vendor to Linden Labs PBL support DNR.

He was a great guy and slandered by the GUY, darling brody and many others after he wrote most of the scripts for her weapons huds etc.

This was in lieu of the money he owed PLEXUS. This brody is a real winner.

Anyway, this DENCH/PLEXUS now lives in islands somewhere on a large boat. (I saw at marina and had lunch on!!!!)

I would not believe the hype aboutn him.

FACE IT IF HE WAS NOT REAL, HE WOULD BE SUED OUT OF EXISTANCE AND HIS WEB SITE WOULD BE DOWN!

By the way he is still on and in world daily! I see him often...

DAN

Enjoy

• 5 years later...
Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was just reading the transcript . . . there was a "global list of criminals who are banned from all shops in secondlife"????

Seriously?

I think that is a reference to a certain "security system" that was shut down a long time ago. Name escapes me at the moment but you could get a person banned from every region that used the system even if you didn't own that region. Hence, the global ban. This was well before RedZone. I'm thinking it was the first one of its kind. It was very popular and well known.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now I remember where I saw that name... he got an "honorable mention" on the old fan wiki.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Grief

Some griefers are loners and others are part of a griefing organization. The Patriotic Nigras (PN) was an extremely active griefing group in past years but has become somewhat inactive today. Another group, Nebula Griefing had several active members at one time, but the leader quit griefing, joined Second Life under a new name and became a legitimate store owner in Second Life. Nightmare Dench is an active griefer whose objects are sometimes seen replicating in sandboxes. Because most griefers do not "sign" their work or claim responsibility for an organization, it is sometimes hard to tell newbie griefers from experienced offenders.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I think that is a reference to a certain "security system" that was shut down a long time ago. Name escapes me at the moment but you could get a person banned from every region that used the system even if you didn't own that region. Hence, the global ban. This was well before RedZone. I'm thinking it was the first one of its kind. It was very popular and well known.

Banlink

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.