What's going on in here?

Ima Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was reading a discussion elsewhere regarding the SLF.  It reminded me of my first encounter with the old GDF.  I had been away from SL for nearly a year attending to family matters, and when I returned, very few of my original friends were still active in SL.  I ventured over to the SL forums when I saw what appeared to be an interesting topic on my dashboard.  I read for a long time, became familiar with some of the more prolific posters, and was delighted with the vast array of personalities.  For those that know me, they know that my toe dip into the forum did not exactly proceed in the manner I had hoped.  Ah well.  Such is life.  It takes a while to learn your forum manners when you are as blunt a personality as I am.

Despite the love/hate relationship many came to have with Ima Rang, there was a very real sense of community.  There were plenty of heated discussions, some pretty darn funny flaming, and some excellent parodies that produced many hours of interactive entertainment.  Mostly what it provided was a desire to go inworld and seek out some of these personalities and to get to know them outside of the cause/argument/discussion that was underway on the forums.  I met and came to look forward to my time inworld because I felt as though I knew them in some sense.  Some of them I learned are even more dynamic than I would have imagined from forum posts alone.  One had a gift for deceitfulness and I learned a valuable lesson.  A few are people I consider close friends and we now engage in communication outside of SL. 

IMHO, the old GDF was representative of what actually lies beyond the SL viewer login screen.  I am an eccentric individual.  I have eclectic taste in music, art, food and I love to engage with many different personality types.  SL, because it serves a personality such as mine so well, was a very comfortable hobby fit for me. 

I have made this tl;dr post because I miss that community and I feel that the new SLF for some reason is squashing my desire to go inworld.  Where are the lively posts, the colorful subjects, the display of various and wonderfully diverse personalities?  Why does it feel so bland and unwelcoming and so filled with nothing but  Polly want a cracker posts?  Is this the new welcome mat for the SL experience?  Stepford Residents?  It feels so far removed from the true essence of the SL experience.   

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon or was I just unnaturally attached to the personality of the old GDF?  

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more Ima. I was a regular poster and thoroughly enjoyed the banter, the arguments and the friendliness displayed by so many. I was also somewhat bothered by some of the flaming and griefing and the intense dishonesty of many of the posters, but learned to live with it. Then came the indiscriminate policing, the meaningless shutting down of some excellent threads, the obsessive posters and, finally, the shutdown of the forums to introduce new software.

When the forums closed down for the new format, I looked forward to their return. What returned, though, was a dull, soulless dirge, and I pretty well withdrew, as did many others. Now I seldom look into the forums, apart from a friendly thread started by one of my favourite forumites.

So I've mainly moved on. There is still one forum poster who is regularly unpleasant to me, but I've learned just to ignore that person.

And there's still some sensible forumites posting. I'm looking at one right now.

you dont find many of personalities of the past because they banned themselves.

at first i felt like the forums lacked their presence but now that they are mostly forgotten i feel the forums to be a way better place.

the old forums was a playground for griefers, and returning to what it was it would be like getting all criminals out of jail and let them roam around your house.

maybe you dont find many topics that interest you, how about starting ones of your interest and see how the conversation develops?

I believe a lot of effort has been put in by LL to "shaping" the forums into what they wanted them to be.  Some people like the sterile feel of it. I am with you though, the old rough and rowdy GDF was more interesting. I guess it is changing times?  I also liked the old "wild west" anything goes SL.  Being shocked or surprised by what I might see next.  Seems a lot of that has gone too.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I came from Usenet way back in the day.  Talk about the wild west.  Welcome to sweeter, gentler times.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I believe a lot of effort has been put in by LL to "shaping" the forums into what they wanted them to be.  Some people like the sterile feel of it. I am with you though, the old rough and rowdy GDF was more interesting. I guess it is changing times?  I also liked the old "wild west" anything goes SL.  Being shocked or surprised by what I might see next.  Seems a lot of that has gone too.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I came from Usenet way back in the day.  Talk about the wild west.  Welcome to sweeter, gentler times.

Perhaps it is just a element of my personality, but I always thought the old GDF had a good balance of the sweet and gentle and the wild west.  I suppose we all hold a different perspective on what is considered wild though, eh?  Sweet and gentle has it's place, provides much need balance, but it should not be so much the focus the personality is literally pruned out of the forums, IMHO.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

Clearly rhetorical questions however, I do see your point.  On behalf of everyone here, we will try to be more accommodating to your forum needs and perhaps you will want to stick around more to perhaps post a few compelling post to show us how its done.  :matte-motes-big-grin-wink::matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

:matte-motes-big-grin: Well, as you can see, I have limited "interesting thread" starting abilities. LOL!  I'm not so sure that the flat lining of the forum heart beat is actually a result of the posters.  I see interesting posts come up, but by the time I can respond, they are no more.  The majority of the ninja'd threads I am often unable to determine what the violation was.  It makes me hesitant to post. 

And badgering, (which passes for personality now), is all you will find here unforunately. A *contribution is to taint well meaning threads, trash others with snarky & derogatory comments, then blame everyone else when the mods do the required work. In that respect it's eerily similar to the old GD. Same old characters doing the same old things o.0 

WilhiamMeshTest wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

.... was I just unnaturally attached to the personality of the old GDF?  

What kept you attached is dead.

Rejoice.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be a premature celebration. :D

Lia Abbot wrote:

I couldn't agree more Ima. I was a regular poster and thoroughly enjoyed the banter, the arguments and the friendliness displayed by so many. I was also somewhat bothered by some of the flaming and griefing and the intense dishonesty of many of the posters, but learned to live with it. Then came the indiscriminate policing, the meaningless shutting down of some excellent threads, the obsessive posters and, finally, the shutdown of the forums to introduce new software.

When the forums closed down for the new format, I looked forward to their return. What returned, though, was a dull, soulless dirge, and I pretty well withdrew, as did many others. Now I seldom look into the forums, apart from a friendly thread started by one of my favourite forumites.

So I've mainly moved on. There is still one forum poster who is regularly unpleasant to me, but I've learned just to ignore that person.

And there's still some sensible forumites posting. I'm looking at one right now.

Hi!  Wow, it has been so long! 

Yeah, I feel the days getting shorter again and know that it will be fall and then winter before too long and have fond memories of spending cold evenings with a nice cocktail, blanket and laptop, the GDF, laughing and generally contented with the sense of spending the evening with my forum community.  Good times...good times.

I hope you are well! 

Chris Norse wrote:

/me waves to Ima  :matte-motes-sunglasses-2:

I have started lurking again, posted a few times. 

You are right, the place now has all the spice and taste of a cold bowl of grits.

/me waves back, wildly, as if I have no sense :D

Ick. 

We need lots of butter! And salt!  And bacon! 

Venus Petrov wrote:

/me waves to Ima

I am glad to see you post this.  Some in the LWL wonder if their type of camaraderie exists anywhere but within the confines of their group. 

/me waves to Venus.

Really?  Why do you think that?  I apologize if it should be obvious, I have not been following the forum activities very closely, and I have not been inworld much in the last few months. 

Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

/me waves to Ima

I am glad to see you post this.  Some in the LWL wonder if their type of camaraderie exists anywhere but within the confines of their group. 

/me waves to Venus.

Really?  Why do you think that?  I apologize if it should be obvious, I have not been following the forum activities very closely, and I have not been inworld much in the last few months. 

It is written!  Check out the Friends thread that Lillie OP'ed.  That specific question is asked.  You should hobble over when you have a few and take a look.

MaryAnne - The Guidelines do not have anything in them about posts needing to be of a certain degree of sensitivity which seems to be the critical criterion for not being deleted without any explanation and when occassionally an explanation of sorts is offered it does not relate to either the post or any part of the Guidelines or TOS. One womans snarky and derogatory comment is another womans accurate and clearly stated opinion of a murky and formally unsubstantiated paradigm which matches the outdated morality of the Mary Tyler Moore Show or maybe I would quote The Golden Girls except they were at least funny in their ridiculous attempts to get laid. The question is are the mods members of the LWL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.