What are your opinions on this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would any of you wear this as a t-shirt (irl)?  It tells anyone who has a SL that you're open to make friends.  I plan on making more versions of this for other sites.  So, please tell me if you'd be interested and/or tell me what website/game you'd like in its place.  Any feedback is welcome.
 http://s220.photobucket.com/user/poppey40/media/preview_zps87e9ae7c.png.html?filters[user]=54574451&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

LadyEuropa wrote:

Would any of you wear this as a t-shirt (irl)?  It tells anyone who has a SL that you're open to make friends.  I plan on making more versions of this for other sites.  So, please tell me if you'd be interested and/or tell me what website/game you'd like in its place.  Any feedback is welcome.

personaly, I think it is a bad idea. Per the TOS and Trademark Guidelines, those graphics are protected to LL use only. I have no doubt that LL would have no problem filing a DMCA and or lawsuit against you.

Yeah, as above. The 'Eye in hand' logo and the word Second Life are protected Trademarks, reproducing them without permission is against the law. Using it for commercial gain would definitely attract their attention.

More importantly though, is that Comic motherfunking Sans? If so, jesus. Shut it dooooown.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Really?  Take a long hard look at the Teva logo..(brazilian beach footware)...in use loooong before SL.  It is virtually (sic) identical.

If anyone should be filing a lawsuit, it's Teva.

one is a left and one is a right..one has a spiral  in the palm and one has an eye in the palm..

ones fingers are together and the others is spread apart..

one the fingers are connected..the other they are not..

one is a hand for sure..the other could be an eye with long lashes..

plus they are in total different market areas..

pretty far from identical

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Really?  Take a long hard look at the Teva logo..(brazilian beach footware)...in use loooong before SL.  It is virtually (sic) identical.

If anyone should be filing a lawsuit, it's Teva.

one is a left and one is a right..one has a spiral  in the palm and one has an eye in the palm..

ones fingers are together and the others is spread apart..

one the fingers are connected..the other they are not..

one is a hand for sure..the other could be an eye with long lashes..

plus they are in total different market areas..

pretty far from identical

my guess is the Teva logo is a foot, them being a footwear company, but that's just me being logical.

And indeed, there can be no trademark infringement because not only are the logos clearly very dissimilar but they're not operating in the same market. Teva isn't selling virtual worlds, LL isn't selling very comfy if not all that fashionable footwear.

LadyEuropa wrote:

Would any of you wear this as a t-shirt (irl)?  

No....

I would not wear it on a boat.

I would not, could not, with a goat.

I would not wear it in the rain.

I would not wear it on a train.

I would not wear it in a box.

I would not wear it with a fox.

I would not wear it in the house.

I would not wear it with a mouse.

I would not wear it here or there.

I would not wear it ANYWHERE!

I would not wear that T-shirt, ma'am

I would not wear it, Tex I am....

(With apologies to Dr. Suess...):matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

sticky_001.jpg

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Kudos Tex!

@OP, for an alternate text on the shirt may I suggest:

"Typing With One Hand"

Until I read this I didn't think is was possible to LMAO, Groan & Gag at the same time.
:D

There is a companion to this.

I never wear a t-shirt.

But I would gladly promote SL and I do, I've 'come out of the closet' as a SL user to all my RL friends and frequently post SL pictures and stories on my RL facebook.

That has lured more then a few of my RL friends into SL and a few of them are now doomed.

Is that right?

Court cases have been one with logos varying considerably wider of the mark

From a distance, the logos are remarkably similar.....

This, for your information, is how Fender guitars successfully stopped Tokai way back in the late '80's who were using a 'similar' logo, despite the fact the Tokai one spelt 'Tokai' and not 'Fender'.

The judge ruled from a distance the Tokai logo could easily be taken for the Fender logo, as it used a similar font to give the impression it said Fender, which of course is what Tokai intended all along.

Show a Teva logo and SL logo to a neutral third party and see what they say.

Pointing out the differences did not help Tokai, and their differences were clealry readable.

podcastlogo1.jpgsl.jpgYep... those are so close its scary.

1. Tokai and Fender both make guitars.

2. Teva makes sandals. SL is a virtual world. 

3. The logos are very different.

Your argument is very flawed. Teva would have nothing to do with a DMCA in this case as the logo that is infringed is SecondLifes logo.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Is that right?

Court cases have been one with logos varying considerably wider of the mark

From a distance, the logos are remarkably similar.....

This, for your information, is how Fender guitars successfully stopped Tokai way back in the late '80's who were using a 'similar' logo, despite the fact the Tokai one spelt 'Tokai' and not 'Fender'.

The judge ruled from a distance the Tokai logo could easily be taken for the Fender logo, as it used a similar font to give the impression it said Fender, which of course is what Tokai intended all along.

Show a Teva logo and SL logo to a neutral third party and see what they say.

Pointing out the differences did not help Tokai, and their differences were clealry readable.

yes that's right..

see these two are actual ancient symbols with different meanings that have been around for centuries..

they show a history of being two different things..

that alone is enough to show they didn't get it from teva..let alone  to infringe on teva's property..

two different symbols..two different meanings and two different markets..

there are a lot closer ones than the SL logo to teva's..even almost exact..with the only difference being the thumb on the other side..

same logos are used in different markets all the time..

exact or similar and much closer than the two  we are talking about

Just as a bit of trivia - the UK's first registered trademark was the red triangle used by the Bass Brewery (see, for instance) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Brewery.  Something that simple must have had loads of people 'copying' it ^^

The current argument is moot anyway (in both senses of the word).  I doubt a Mexican footwear manufacturer has a problem with an similarities in logo with a virtual world but if they do it's up to their lawyers to argue the case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.