Ugly feet.

Teagan Tobias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is going on with invisi-prims, thought they were gone. I ask because I see a lot of ugly feet sticking out of shoes. Do a lot of people not look at their feet, and just don't know their feet are sticking out of their shoes.

Or do invisi-prims still work with some viewers? Like a V1 viewer.

I have gone to a lot of stores and got a lot of Demo shoes to get the alpha that is with them and added an alpha to all my old shoes and they look great now. I have even added two different alphas to some shoes to make them look right. And no, it does not work on all shoes.

My old shoes with “a new alpha added” look good in LLV3 and Nirans viewer.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

What is going on with invisi-prims, thought they were gone. I ask because I see a lot of ugly feet sticking out of shoes. Do a lot of people not look at their feet, and just don't know their feet are sticking out of their shoes.

Or do invisi-prims still work with some viewers? Like a V1 viewer.

I have gone to a lot of stores and got a lot of Demo shoes to get the alpha that is with them and added an alpha to all my old shoes and they look great now. I have even added two different alphas to some shoes to make them look right. And no, it does not work on all shoes.

My old shoes with “a new alpha added” look good in LLV3 and Nirans viewer.

Some folks don't understand still the difference and / or effects between invisiprims and alpha masks.

I have also noticed a few shoe stores who moved thier old invisprim shoes to their 'sales' area and also Merchants selling complete out fits (includes shoes) that they have not updated the foot wear in them.

Invisiprims are broken for me with Firestorm 'Lighting & Shadows' active. I assume this goes for advanced lighting & shadows in comparably viewers, although I haven't tested it. They still work if I deactivate this feature, but obviously only to my view. I guess people who still wear invisiprims are using a V1 based viewer, or a lower graphics setting.

Kelli May wrote:

Invisiprims are broken for me with Firestorm 'Lighting & Shadows' active. I assume this goes for advanced lighting & shadows in comparably viewers, although I haven't tested it. They still work if I deactivate this feature, but obviously only to my view. I guess people who still wear invisiprims are using a V1 based viewer, or a lower graphics setting.

it's broke in the base code

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Why-did-LL-break-invisi-prims/m-p/1016645/highlight/true#M8159

There was a now unviewable JIRA about this because it broke other content.

For instance, you can (to my knowledge) no longer make a 'dry dock' for a boat.

Essentially the JIRA was closed with "we aint going back" type comment.

Not everyone has updated to a mesh viewer, or can view mesh, or can view mesh all of the time, or cares about mesh; some also realize that since many fit into the previous categories, much of Second Life will see them as missing body parts and wearing odd shapes and boxes, instead of clothes.

I still wear invisiprims and if someone doesn't like it they do not have to keep looking.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Wow, still selling invisi-prims is just wrong.

Why?

You have the option to use alphas which is your preference. Why not allow others the same option? I am very pleased that some stores still offer the invisiprim option for those who fit into the categories I named, above.

Not everyone can keep updating their computer just to run Second Life.

Why?

Because, from what I can see the alpha is not offered or even referenced as being needed. They can be added (to some shoes but not even all of them) but you need to do some looking and testing to get the right one, and someone that is not aware of that, will not do that. They will just use the shoes, and from what I have seen, a lot of people don't know or don't care, that is why the name of the thread is Ugly feet.

It took me a lot of time looking for the same style of shoe on the marketplace, for each shoe that I wanted to add alphas to, and getting the demo to get the alpha.

That is why.

What's really wrong is selling no-mod shoes. I know that doesn't help with adding an alpha layer, but at least it allows people to add or remove invisiprims.

Besides their no-mod superstition, many SL cobblers--especially including some well-known brands--are astonishingly clueless. Most of the grid is now too young to even remember the "efficient scripting" revolution, but there are still certain models of shoes from big brands with a resizer script in every prim, without even an option to delete them. No-mod, of course, so they can't be fixed. It's embarrassing.

Qie Niangao wrote:

What's
really wrong
is selling no-mod shoes. I know that doesn't help with adding an alpha layer, but at least it allows people to add or remove invisiprims.

Besides their no-mod superstition, many SL cobblers--especially including some well-known brands--are astonishingly clueless. Most of the grid is now too young to even remember the "efficient scripting" revolution, but there are still certain models of shoes from big brands with a resizer script in every prim, without even an option to delete them. No-mod, of course, so they can't be fixed. It's embarrassing.

This ^

Qie Niangao wrote:

What's
really wrong
is selling no-mod shoes. I know that doesn't help with adding an alpha layer, but at least it allows people to add or remove invisiprims.

It's a shame we can't name and shame on the Forums some time.

But at $700L a pair, you'd think they'd fix it.

Most shoe stores now only sell alpha shoes if the shoes need an invisible part. It's harder to find the invisiprim shoes. Some places will put both an alpha and an invisiprim with the shoe. Some will offer one or the other separately for the customer to choose.

I haven't yet found any invisiprim shoes that did not also offer alpha layer. (ETA: If you have) It's possible the creator did not learn how to make an alpha layer yet.

The feet are the same, though; it's just the issue of the alpha glitch with other textures around it. But they use the same sculpt feet model and shoe model, from what I have seen. Maybe it is different in your experience or with the male shoes.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Why?

Because, from what I can see the alpha is not offered or even referenced as being needed. They can be added (to some shoes but not even all of them) but you need to do some looking and testing to get the right one, and someone that is not aware of that, will not do that. They will just use the shoes, and from what I have seen, a lot of people don't know or don't care, that is why the name of the thread is Ugly feet.

It took me a lot of time looking for the same style of shoe on the marketplace, for each shoe that I wanted to add alphas to, and getting the demo to get the alpha.

That is why.

Melita Magic wrote:

Not everyone can keep updating their computer just to run Second Life.

Thank you, Melita.  I have been saying this for close to a year and keep getting told to leave SL or find a new hobby.  I totally understand that technology constantly advances and would not wish it otherwise. 

I went to a small, family type (as in "everyone knows your name") club last night on invitation from a new friend who is newish to SL.  Interestingly, I knew the owner of the club from years ago as we were both regulars at a similar style club.  It was a lot of fun reminiscing.  Anyway, back on point...

...Most of the people were wearing mesh in some manner - clothing, hair, etc. so my view of the patrons was a mixture of moving boxes, avatars missing half their bodies, etc.  Then a person named ABC would enter.  While I was greeting ABC - the others were greeting someone named XYZ.  I'm looking around to find XYZ and don't see her, to discover XYZ is the display name of ABC - which I can't see.  Fortunately it was a small group so I could remember that ABC is really called XYZ and that the moving box is a female avatar.

For years, my "normal" SL has been not seeing much beyond my nose until I move again (I have to make a choice between walking or seeing objects in the distance), keeping most settings on low, realizing if I go to a busy dance venue, I need to wait for about 15 minutes for the gray people to rez in and the best way to accept a dance is for the gentleman to rez the pose balls, then tp me there, rather than me attempting to gracefully walk across the dance floor and instead be akin to the ball in a pinball machine.  "Pardon me.  Oh, sorry, didn't mean to bump into you."  Before adapting my new "please tp me to the pose ball" arrangement, I used to make an announcement in general chat prior to moving in a crowded venue: "I apologize in advance if I run over you.  It is not intentional." 

Over the years the severity of the above has gradually increased, but you know what...I enjoy/ed SL.  I was willing to deal with the minor annoyances because I gained so much from SL in so many ways.  Many people with similar "graphics issues" would have left SL.  I have met quite a few people lately who tried SL in 2007, 2008, etc. and even back then the lag was so bad for them that they left, to return years later after acquiring a new PC.  Even when I could have easily afforded to buy a new PC every year (I did update the MB, graphics card, etc. over the years) the one I had worked perfectly on everything except SL.  As Melita said, I am not going to keep updating PCs for just one program.

Last night, however, I sat at the club thinking how my SL "view" is "shrinking" and has been over the years but has become infinitely more noticeable now with the introduction of mesh and new viewers.  I'm finding myself unable to perform certain common functions (such as setting a home point) broken on the Phoenix viewer.  Some of my favorite shoes now look broken.  I am able and will purchase a new PC fairly soon (I've been saying this for about three months as well...lol....just other "issues" involved), but it just irks me that I feel I'm being forced to buy a new PC so I can continue to enjoy SL instead of purchasing when I *choose* to.

I am not whining nor complaining.  I used to teach application software at a Jr. College years ago.  Please don't bother lecturing me on "keeping up with technology" - I get it.  By the same token, those of you who have rudely told me to "get another hobby" - at least allow me to continue using my "outdated" avatar hair, skin, clothing, etc. without snarky comments.

(Edited for grammar/clarification)

Qie Niangao wrote:

What's
really wrong

THIS^^^^^

Once I realized invisiprim scripts could be removed, I spent hours a year or so ago going through my shoe collection and removing all scripts possible - "possible" meaning the shoes and/or scripts were mod.  I found something like 70 scripts in ONE shoe!!!!! (This was a brand that was very well known back in the day.  This merchant offered shoes with a gazillion changeable textures, varying amount of shine, ability to turn the heel walk sound on or off (always hated that - really stupid to hear someone's high heels clicking along in sand...lol) - one could select to leave "shoe prints" behind as they walked (that used to be very popular) - and of course the variation of prints was sizeable, etc.  I LOVED these shoes.  One pair of pumps could work with most any of my outfits...but at a high script price.

Anyway, I 100% agree, Qie.  I did some shoe weeding last night and tossed a bunch of no-mod shoes that are now broken on my viewer.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

By the same token, those of you who have rudely told me to "get another hobby" - at least allow me to continue using my "outdated" avatar hair, skin, clothing, etc. without snarky comments.

This.

Personal taste is fine, but people have a reason for choosing the look or wearables they have chosen. It might be their taste, which should be as valid as anyone else's. Or it might be their computer, their budget, or their lack of time or interest in keeping up with SL fashion trends. 

Personally I feel like I put forth a respectable appearance, and it should be enough. 

Scripts in shoes and such, are another reason to go old school at times. I find myself hunting for good prim shoes that need no alpha or invisible layer or prim, and no scripts. I still wear sandals with my basic avatar feet at times. It just is not all that serious to me.

I also do not wish to use Mesh on my land until everyone can see it. It has a long way to go before that is the case. At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, which I am not, I think its debut was a tad premature. I think the foundation of SL needed to be fixed before 'improving' it. Until things like land cost are fixed with mesh, or until clothing fits better, and anyone can run a mesh viewer, I think it was still too early. JMO.

I'd also miss the way a mesh skirt twirls when the av moves...even if it's in strips.  :)

Melita Magic wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

By the same token, those of you who have rudely told me to "get another hobby" - at least allow me to continue using my "outdated" avatar hair, skin, clothing, etc. without snarky comments.

This.

I also do not wish to use Mesh on my land until everyone can see it. It has a long way to go before that is the case. At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, which I am not, I think its debut was a tad premature. I think the foundation of SL needed to be fixed before 'improving' it. Until things like land cost are fixed with mesh, or until clothing fits better, and anyone can run a mesh viewer, I think it was still too early. JMO.

Interestingly, you are the second person I've run into who *can* use/see mesh but chooses not to for similar reasons.  The other person is a hostess at an established jazz dance venue.  She turns mesh off in her viewer (I'm glad there is that option when I do upgrade) to cut down on her lag, thus she sees the same box-heads, half-bodies, etc.  I didn't realize, however, that sometimes people in non-mesh viewers see someone wearing mesh as naked in that area.  Something to do with wearing or not wearing the alphas.  Apparently not a few number of women have appeared at that club appearing topless to non-mesh viewers.  The owner of the club made a decision to not allow mesh clothing due to the dress code and since not everyone can see the mesh.  Some might think that is drastic (especially the people who love mesh clothing) but I have to applaud him on a gutsy move.

Back to the hostess - she is what I would term a "fashionista," so I was quite surprised that she stated she will personally not wear mesh until everyone can see it.  This could be influenced by the fact that she can't wear mesh clothes at work, but she doesn't spend 100% of her time there so she could certainly wear mesh elsewhere if she chose.

Something I forgot to mention about the small club I went to the other night: When the other patrons realized I couldn't see mesh the changed out of it...on their own!!  No one suggested it.  I was blown away by that courtesy.

I do agree mesh was released before it was ready for prime time.  Kind of like Direct Deliver. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.