The great SL DJ Question :-0

Cheesypuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Talking in-between (not over) the music and interacting with the crowd is fine with me. If you have a live DJ why not have them speak? It just makes sense and increases engagement (in the form of traffic to the club and tips for the DJ). If not for the interaction between the DJ and the club goers you might as well just run an internet radio stream.

A DJ that doesn't talk and interact with his or her crowd, isn't a DJ, merely someone who knows how to work a playlist, which requires very little human involvement to accomplish. 

Talking over the music, is often seen as taboo by most DJs, and is something I find annoying, personally. Talking between songs, or between sets of songs, is perfectly normal, and should be expected by both those who hire and those who listen to DJs. 

Then again, I'm not certain everyone in sl, or online in general, that claims to be a DJ ought to have the title in the first place(something most folks don't agree with me on...they have a right to their opinion too, of course), so take my opinion, like most, with a grain of salt.

like been said already if a DJ dont interact with the people present between songs then is not much point. A good DJ same as a good live artist will acknowledge people live over the stream

but yeah talking over the song is not good

is this one girl who actual turns down the volume on her rig so she can do this. Like in the middle of songs even. Is really annoying. Sometimes I just wanna orbit her. Her screaming be way better I think. But I cant bc nobuild. and is not good to orbit people anymore these days apparently. Even when they be way better off  q (: 

Talking between each song, or between most songs, is essential, imo, because it brings people into it.

Talking over songs is a no-no, also imo.

Taling too much between songs is bad, imo. I came across that with a DJ friend.

The music is the thing. Talking too much between songs makes the DJ also the thing, and is bad. Talking a little between songs involves the people, and is good. Not talking at all means that having a DJ is superfluous.

It all just depends on the DJ and the audience.

DJ's build up followings depending on how they interact with their audience.

So it all comes down to the preferences of their followers/listeners.

So there is really no right way or wrong way here.

Each of us have what we like and dislike so we go where we enjoy 'the show' and avoid the places we don't.

The club owners are really interested in only one thing, can the DJ hold an audience. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Each of us have what we like and dislike so we go where we enjoy 'the show' and avoid the places we don't.

The club owners are really interested in only one thing, can the DJ hold an audience. 

yes thats all true. So I shouldnt moan really

irihapeti wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

yes thats all true. So I shouldnt moan really

That's a matter of preference also.  ;)

I've come across really good DJ's in Second Life - including some who don't do any talking but you know their music choice is going to be good.  

But there are DJ's who, to put it kindly, are not so good!  Ones who talk over songs, even sometimes sing or rap along - nobody wants to hear that!  Then there's all the cliches like 'Show some Linden lovin' or 'Jump into my naughty box' or 'C'mon party people'.  And then there's mash-ups, when the DJ thinks two tunes sound good played at the same time - in most cases they don't sound good!  And worst of all is when DJ's aren't getting enough entries for contests and so start playing tunes frome Sesame Street or something until more people vote.   

Surely there's a difference between 'doesn't voice' and 'doesn't interact with audience'? I'm fine with a DJ who communicates with the audience in chat, who responds by playing more of the kind of music the crowd are reacting to, and who actively greets newcomers with more than a canned response. I'd rather have that kind of DJ than any voice-using DJ, especially one who crashes the intros, interrupts music, begs for tips or spouts clichés.

(Not that voicing DJs are a bad thing, just to say that non-voicing can be as communicative, if done properly).

Gimpeline Dabney wrote:

If its a playlist dj that don't talk4,. I most likley leave after a cupple of songs since I can have the same experience sitting in my skybox listening to the radio.

I'm thinking about good non-talk DJ's where the club surroundings are good and the other people there make it a nice place to be.  Then the whole thing can work very well.

Cheesypuff wrote:

Should SL DJs use voice? Do you like DJs in SL clubs to talk on mic between and over songs?

I don't like it and think they shouldn't! But it seems every club owner in Inworld Employment disagrees :smileysurprised:

Well maybe you do not like it but I do. Speaking for myself if a DJ didn't talk at all I would not even go to see him/her. MIght as well toss up a stream and be done with it if you think that way.   I find the interaction between sets of songs great and I have learned a lot from some DJ's about certain genres of music, particularly The Blues.

Saraya Starr wrote:

Speaking for myself if a DJ didn't talk at all I would not even go to see him/her.

I find this to be a very strange attitude.  I simply don't understand why anyone would think that, on a platform such as SL, using voice is the only acceptable way of interacting with an audience.

I'm in agreement with Kelli, in that local chat can also be used to great effect in that regard.  Personally, I prefer this approach, simply because there's absolutely no chance for a DJ to encroach upon the main reason why I go to such events... to enjoy the music and interaction with others who are attending for the same purpose.

Now, I don't mind DJs who voice between tracks, as long as the emphasis is on the music and not the personality of the DJ.  Talking over songs, especially the lame attempts some DJs make at inserting supposedly witty comments over the music right in the middle of a track, I find to be extremely irritating, making it highly unlikely that I would ever seek out those who do such things in the future.  But I don't necessarily, actively avoid them either... as long as the music is good and I'm in pleasant company, I can deal with it.

...Dres

Coming from a club owner and a Second Life Broadcaster...(I don't really consider myself a DJ, as I don't mix music, I am a on air personality, unfortunately I am not that talented)....when I broadcast music, my rule of thumb is in between two songs (a segue) I will talk, announcing the song that just aired, next song and to stay tuned for a song request from whom ever, this is normally timed at about 25-20 seconds when the song is ending and that way it leads into the next song smoothly, keeps people engaged and wanting to stick around. I haven't DJd a club where there is contest board in a long time, but when I did, it was normally every 3 songs I would have a small 30 second break, enough time to talk about the club, VIP tags, stores if there are any, don't forget to show some appreciation to the host and some info about the contest board. It's always good to show personality, talk to the VIPs personally, like "Hey how are you, hope your having a fantastic weekend!", shows you appreciate the people there and spending time with you and there host, and coming out of there own time to listen to you and to hang out. By making announcements about the club, the host and what ever is going on, show's support to the club that allows you to Broadcast there, as well as promote the venue so they can keep running for second life and the people.

As for people not talking, depends on the DJ and what they do, if they are a live mixer some can't talk allot and depends on the mixer, and depends on there software that they are running. Each person has there reasons for not talking, and I have respect for those no matter what, that's there personal choice. My choice as a on air personality, I feel naked with out my mic, with out it I feel useless as a broadcaster. 

Being a club owner, my venue that I have all DJs must use a Mic, as that is what the venue requires, I have hired DJs before who have RL disabilities and some who choose not use a Mic because of there RL and SL choice (being there sexuality), and they have always been very successful DJs, because they remained social in local chat and made a presence to people who are there, and it can be done if you have the personality for it. 

Would I personally go actively go to a club to listen to someone DJ and not talk, depends on how active they are in local chat and there music choice, but that is me personally. 

Talking should be normal for a DJ. Otherwise, unless its a house or techno type music (among others) where they are doing real live mixing, I can see why they wouldnt be talking.

Like VivaLaTease described, in today's world, a DJ is a live-mixing DJ.  Radio style DJ's are more "on air Personalities".

I see many saying they dont like DJ's talking over the music.  Let's be clear about that.  Talking over music where singing is happening, is a terrible thing for a DJ to be doing. However, talking over the outro or intro of a song is perfectly normal. Once singing starts, they need to not talk. Additionally,  there are some songs that you just never talk over during the intro out of respect for the song itself. Couple of songs come to mind where you should never talk over the intro are Eagles "Hotel California" and Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven". There are many others. But again for the most part talking over outro's and intros is perfectly normal. The good DJ (or on air personality) knows how to hit a "post" (the moment just before the singing starts). If they can do that while keeping you informed and engaged, you have a winner.

I've heard dj's talking between songs for lengthy periods of time. While I don't mind a DJ that talks, keep it short and simple. As a friend of mine tells me "that was", "club announcement" or "comment about what others are talking about" , "tip host (or venue), "coming up next is... (or request information)". You can do all that in 10-15 seconds. Going on and on for 5 minutes is a bit much.

I've been to clubs where they DJs are encouraged to talk over most of the songs to engage the crowd.  That's a horrible practice and probably why when the club had about 60 people in it, only 24 were listening.

I did encounter a DJ once who didn't talk, but then again he also didnt take requests. Why? He was using autoDJ to work his gig. When he told me (I asked him why he wasnt taking requests), I just left. Why bother calling yourself a DJ at that point. 

• 2 weeks later...

At most places I go to and places I DJ at, DJs don't talk on the mic. Many Djs text chat to the crowd, they have a conversation going with lots of people, that seems to be expected standard at those places, the idea is to create a good conversational atmosphere. The music is often lovingly compiled, sometimes live mixed, always segued to flow, it's not simply compiling a playlist. I don't really like DJs who talk on the mic, but the two I do like have lovely voices and say very little, just very occasional humorous interjections.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.