Phil Deakins
Topics: 97

Re: The future of SecondLife

[ Edited ]

Reply to JeanneAnne - view message

The correct quotation was, "I don't have any desire to respond to the rubbish you wrote in those two posts though".

See the difference? The bit you cherry-picked to quote implied that I've no desire to respond at all and you asked a question based on that contrived understanding. But what I actually wrote was that I've no wish to respond to the rubbish you wrote those two posts, which is quite different, as I'm sure you realise now that I've pointed it out.

That's the second time in this thread that you've cherry-picked and quoted a bit of something I wrote to give it it completely different meaning. Dresden wrote very well about you.

JeanneAnne
Topics: 24

Reply to Phil Deakins - view message

Phil Deakins wrote:

The correct quotation was, "I don't have any desire to respond to the rubbish you wrote in those two posts though".

See the difference? The bit you cherry-picked to quote implied that I've no desire to respond at all and you asked a question based on that contrived understanding. But what I actually wrote was that I've no wish to respond to the rubbish you wrote those two posts, which is quite different, as I'm sure you realise now that I've pointed it out.

That's the second time in this thread that you've cherry-picked and quoted a bit of something I wrote to give it it completely different meaning. Dresden wrote very well about you.

Sheesh! Just drop it already, why don'tcha??

What are you, obsessed or something...??

Jeanne

Phil Deakins

As you wish :smileyhappy:

Deltango Vale
Topics: 38

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is precisely what everyone is saying about you. In a previous thread, I offered you a clear and helpful explanation of Marxism, which you promptly ignored. Instead of showing any interest in learning about the very philosophy you preach, you continue to spout nonsense, much to the annoyance of everyone on the forum.

JeanneAnne

[ Edited ]

Reply to Deltango Vale - view message

Deltango Vale wrote:

That is precisely what everyone is saying about you. In a previous thread, I offered you a clear and helpful explanation of Marxism, which you promptly ignored. Instead of showing any interest in learning about the very philosophy you preach, you continue to spout nonsense, much to the annoyance of everyone on the forum.

Del, you cannot debate, with one who is steeped in ignorance, and has a HUGE chip on their shoulder.  The ignorance prevents clearing understanding, and the shoulder-chip stymies what *could* be an opportunity to learn.

JeanneAnne

Reply to Celestiall Nightfire - view message

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

Del, you cannot debate, with one who is steeped in ignorance, and has a HUGE chip on their shoulder.  The ignorance prevents clearing understanding, and the shoulder-chip stymies what *could* be an opportunity to learn.

Does the hypocrisy even register?

Are you looking into a mirror when you warn others of  "... your views-small, weak, & unexamined." How much did the patriarchy pay for your soul?

Jeanne

Phil Deakins

[ Edited ]

Reply to Celestiall Nightfire - view message

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

That's the exact impression that I've got during the latter part of this thread. I was away from the SL forums for a long time so I wasn't aware of it.

Phil Deakins

[ Edited ]

Deltango Vale wrote:

In a previous thread, I offered you a clear and helpful explanation of Marxism, which you promptly ignored.

That's precisely the tactic of people who don't have any sensible answers to sensible/valid points in a 'debate'. They just ignore the points they don't have answers for and press on regardless - very much like politicains being interviewed. And they often get away with it because the other side gets caught up in what the person does say in response, and forgets about the unanswerable points.

Phil Deakins

[ Edited ]

Reply to MasterJedi Nayar - view message

Getting back to the first post (the topic) of this thread...

I don't see any future for Second Life other than the continuation of what it is now, which is almost totally what it was when I arrived very late in 2006. I don't think it's changed significantly since then, apart from the addition of land, which is just the same land as it always was, and the addition of a few features, such as sculpties. I don't envisage SL growing significantly and, if I left today and came back in a year or three, I'd expect it to be almost exactly the same as it is now - perhaps with a few new features, and maybe even higher concurrency, but not much higher.

The reason for such a pessimistic outlook is that LL simply isn't a company that is likely to make SL grow, or change it enough to make it grow. They don't have the personel with the ability to do it. They never have had such personel. There are many examples I could cite but I'll use just one - the marketplace. How long has that been going now? and they still can't make it deliver items consistently. How long is it since LL announced Direct Delivery? A year? It still hasn't been launched after all that time. The way that LL works is so sluggish that a smail would appear to move like Jesse owens. So I don't see a rosey future for Second Life, simply because of who it is that runs it.

On the other hand, I can still envisage a good future for the SL type of system. Years ago I posted that I can see tiny SL-like systems where companies/businesses use the system for display purposes. Take a campsite or holiday park, for instance, and imagine being able to visit it in an SL-like system before deciding whether or not to book, and maybe even choosing the chalet or caravan that you want. Or imagine a proposed building development, where the decision-makers can walk around it in an SL-like system, perhaps suggesting changes or seeing things that wouldn't work.

That's the sort of future I can envisage for SL, or SL-like systems, to be precise, but it won't have anything to do with Linden Lab. In fact, I think it's already being done. The OpenSim project, which reverse-engineered the SL sim server, is free, and nothing stands in the way. If I had a caravan park or a campsite, I'd definitely promote it to potential customers that way. It took what seemed like a very long time for companies and businesses to embrace the web for doing business, and it will take an even longer time for the sort of SL-like future I described to be embraced. I may be completely wrong, but I can see it happening in the years to come.

That's the future I see for SL - SL stagnant and SL-based business systems growing.