The difference between trolling and harassing other members.

Shadowfox394

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have been founding videos of other members being *harassed* not trolled trolling is having a fun time or being an ass troll other known as verbal harassment towards other members in the TOS. Now I know this is a strict violation of Second Life services and I don't think this is actually upheld. They got ALL kinds of players including furries who play Second Life who have earned the right to be a furry by paying for stuff and subscriptions. I can't stand having a TOS that is never upheld there is this user on Youtube recording other people proving he is harassing these people which violates section 6 (iv) I am not a lawyer and I'm not sure if he is allowed to do this but he is posting up videos as his proof of Harassing or (trolling) also links bellow for the TOS and his videos. I don't know how active this user is but you guys also got a law that says you can't be sexually harassing other users which he also has a video of that as well.

http://www.lindenlab.com/tos#tos6

I think users like this need to be strictly monitored if they're gonna start harassing others and the law is not going to be upheld. I don't how ever know if there is a law on trespassing in peoples space regarding glitches I know glitches are fun to a point but is it possible that Second Life should run off something similar to Playstation Homes engine so people can't enter there houses land what ever uninvited? I am not here to testify against someone I am just here to seek knowledge in the Second Life terms of services it's ashamed people get trolled including furries which I think are cute I am one too XD I am a man yeah I shouldn't use those words rofl. If Second Life really isn't upholding rules though should some be changed regarding furry rights the right to be furry :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEDZM0T13k8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkXd_siaF9A (invading land owner privacy)

Shadowfox394 wrote:

So I have been founding videos of other members being *harassed* not trolled trolling is having a fun time or being an ass troll other known as verbal harassment towards other members in the TOS. Now I know this is a strict violation of Second Life services and I don't think this is actually upheld. They got ALL kinds of players including furries who play Second Life who have earned the right to be a furry by paying for stuff and subscriptions. I can't stand having a TOS that is never upheld there is this user on Youtube recording other people proving he is harassing these people which violates section 6 (iv) I am not a lawyer and I'm not sure if he is allowed to do this but he is posting up videos as his proof of Harassing or (trolling) also links bellow for the TOS and his videos. I don't know how active this user is but you guys also got a law that says you can't be sexually harassing other users which he also has a video of that as well.

I think users like this need to be strictly monitored if they're gonna start harassing others and the law is not going to be upheld. I don't how ever know if there is a law on trespassing in peoples space regarding glitches I know glitches are fun to a point but is it possible that Second Life should run off something similar to Playstation Homes engine so people can't enter there houses land what ever uninvited? I am not here to testify against someone I am just here to seek knowledge in the Second Life terms of services it's ashamed people get trolled including furries which I think are cute I am one too
xD
I am a man yeah I shouldn't use those words rofl. If Second Life really isn't upholding rules though should some be changed regarding furry rights the right to be furry
:)

(invading land owner privacy)

Well, I watched both videos and honestly I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Yes, they guy is the consumate troll.

But you know, to expect LL to play baby sitter for all of us is neither reasonable or practical.

And simply put, you aren't going to stop the trolls.

The moment the guy started in on her she should have AR'd, blocked and ignored.  Sorry to say but that's her fault.  She allowed it to escalate.

You could still AR the guy and include links to the videos.  And maybe LL will ban the account.  But you know, he'll just come back with a different account. 

So the real thing is that we need to take responsibility for how we respond, or actually refuse to respond.

Really, if we don't use the tools LL has given us, that's our fault.

How To Deal With Abuse And Griefing

Filing An Abuse Report

Blocking (Another Avatar)

Not that I disagree on any point you have made but where exactly is the extra LL staff hours going to come from to monitor these serial harassers beyond the current Abuse Reporting mechanism that is already in place?

I agree with you in that I'd love for

1)  the defaults to be "Group Only" access to purchased parcels & Object creation & entry permissions on transfer to the new Group then the Owner "Buys for Group or "Deeds to Group"" Owner.

2)  the defaults to be "Owner Only" access to purchased parcels & Object creation & entry permissions on transfer to the new Owner.

This one security settings policy change would eliminate a huge percentage of the griefing attacks that take advantage of the current wide open permissions model.

Of course, chatting-off / mouthing-off behaviour is not solved by this change but changing boorish Avatar Owner behavior can be fixed one step at a time.  

• Like 1

Shadowfox394 wrote:

I think users like this need to be strictly monitored if they're gonna start harassing others and the law is not going to be upheld. I don't how ever know if there is a law on trespassing in peoples space regarding glitches I know glitches are fun to a point but is it possible that Second Life should run off something similar to Playstation Homes engine so people can't enter there houses land what ever uninvited? I am not here to testify against someone I am just here to seek knowledge in the Second Life terms of services it's ashamed people get trolled including furries which I think are cute I am one too
xD
I am a man yeah I shouldn't use those words rofl. If Second Life really isn't upholding rules though should some be changed regarding furry rights the right to be furry
:)

(invading land owner privacy)

Whatever happened to just blocking/muting, instead of "feeding the troll"?

The woman in the first video obviously has some major issues of her own going on, getting so unreasonably screechy with someone for "INVADING *MY* HOME".  If its her home, couldn't she just have quietly ejected him, muted him and blocked him?

Imagine, Linden Lab get bombarded with abuse reports about this pathetic childish stuff. They are not going to deal with it, because we all of us have tools with which to deal with it ourselves - eject/ban/mute/block. But Linden Lab would prefer it, I am sure, if we'd all just learn to get along.

For sure it is unrealistic to expect users like this to be strictly monitored. They are best simply ignored. Ignored. Blocked. Muted. Ejected. Banned.

And Second Life does have within it devices and land options (similar it sounds to what Playstation Homes has) to prevent people entering uninvited. Land can be set to group, or to refuse entry to certain people, and there are ejector orbs. All kinds of things.

• Like 1

I took the time to glance at a few more of the person's videos and over and over and over and over again people make the same mistake, responding to him, engaging in conversation with him.

Every one has the ability to block and ignore.  And some Viewers give you the added ability to derender them so they are out of sight / out of mind.

If people would just use the tools they've been given, a lot of this stuff would go away.

Certainly I'd love to see LL more aggresive dealing with this stuff but we don't help them by feeding the trolls.

I've seen vids like this before and I always have to wonder why people stand around and argue like that when all they have to do is block and TP out and in the case of the second one, eject/ban/block.  I figure they love the drama or it is a set up to make the vid.

Yes harrassing is against the TOS, but adults handle this type of stuff themselves with the tools we have and only call on LL in extreme cases.  LL is not a babysitter.

As I said on another recent thread about trolling, and probably numerous others over the years...often times those being "trolled" are actually in on it. Why? Because it makes for awesome, ummm..drama, I suppose. People enjoy an audience, people who troll enjoy the biggest audience possible. Often times trolls work together, one playing the victim, one playing the troll. Some people are really good at playing the victim. It's not unusual to find groups of folks that troll together in the same manner. In fact, it's really, really common.

That said, even in the cases when it's not folks simply playing to an audience, one can very easily not be the victim, and not play the victim, by using the tools we've been given. We can block, ban, mute, leave, simply choose to ignore and not engage...the possibilities are endless. When you give trolls and folks who enjoy causing problems precisely what they want, you cannot, should not, be surprised by the results. That's like giving a hyper 3 year old extra sugar for dinner and expecting that he isn't going to act like a brat when he comes down from his high. You fed it to him, you deal with the consequences.

Shadowfox394 wrote:

So I have been founding videos of other members being *harassed* not trolled trolling is having a fun time or being an ass troll other known as verbal harassment towards other members in the TOS.

There is no difference between trolling and harrassing except in the mind of the perp - the troll feels justified in making others feel bad because they find harming people funny, and the harrasser feels power in making others feel bad.

Part of the problem is that many landowners have no idea how to deal with intruders. They don't have a clue on how to use the land tools they have. They are also the ones that when one of the various schools offers a class on how to use the tools and how to deal with griefers...don't go. It would be nice if, when someone purchases land on the mainland, they get a notecard or notice with basic landowner information or have to have read and understood before they can purchase, much like those that want to upload mesh have to read an prove they understand what they read before they are allowed to upload mesh to the grid.....but that's just a dream.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Shadowfox394 wrote:

So I have been founding videos of other members being *harassed* not trolled trolling is having a fun time or being an ass troll other known as verbal harassment towards other members in the TOS.

There is no difference between trolling and harrassing except in the mind of the perp - the troll feels justified in making others feel bad because they find harming people funny, and the harrasser feels power in making others feel bad.

Well, that's not true at all. With trolling, you put it out there and let your victims come to you. Like fishing. See who takes the bait. Harrassing is targeted and specific. Bad trolls sometimes can become harrassers, but that doesn't make them the same thing.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

paying attention to the dates on topics that are dead and 6 years old that do not need bumped.

must have ignored the bit where it said this just above the reply box

"You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for xxxx days.
Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping."

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.