The dangers of gaming

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Please people, don't feed the troll.

Your attitude might be likened to that of a blind man with his eyes shut in a darkened room - locked in with a hungry black panther.

If you are unprepared to acknowledge the potential dangers of online gaming to those with addictive/compulsive personality traits - of whom I have met very many inworld and in these forums - then you are stifling and censoring a debate which, as alluded to in the OP, can have fatal consequences. Not just to the players themselves, but also to young dependents.

You personally might feel better with your individual case of struthitis, but it is impertinent of you to presume to instruct others who might wish to offer an opinion upon something which must be of grave concern to LL and many of its customers.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

<snip>

If you are unprepared to acknowledge the potential dangers of online gaming to those with addictive/compulsive personality traits.....then you are stifling and censoring a debate which, as alluded to in the OP, can have fatal consequences.

</snip>

You're right, it can be a dangerous cocktail.

So also can be many other things.**

But what are we debating?  Whether or not it's a potentially dangerous cocktail?  Or if it is what can or should be done?

I see no bullet points in your OP for discussion other than an allusion to LL stifling critics.

**I know someone who would 'lose' himself in the public libraries here.  Rather than job hunting they would spend their day in the library reading anything and everything. They were even seen after hours standing outside the library staring at it.  So should Libraries be considered 'dangerous' when combined with these compulsive traits?  Should books be considered dangerous?

And those "gamer deaths" are not caused by gameing itself, but by sitting constantly for too long. Maybe in combination with dehydration and a bad health. On flights as short as six hours you are already asked to stand up and walk a bit at least once during the flight. Now imagine a non-stop 72 hour flight without standing up or changing your position.

The shocking part is, that he sat in a public place the whole time and nobody cared.

Perrie Juran wrote:

**I know someone who would 'lose' himself in the public libraries here.  Rather than job hunting they would spend their day in the library reading anything and everything. They were even seen after hours standing outside the library staring at it.  So should Libraries be considered 'dangerous' when combined with these compulsive traits?  Should books be considered dangerous?

Yeah, the press is full of stories of people reading themselves to death . . .

Syo Emerald wrote:

And those "gamer deaths" are not caused by gameing itself, but by sitting constantly for too long. Maybe in combination with dehydration and a bad health. On flights as short as six hours you are already asked to stand up and walk a bit at least once during the flight. Now imagine a non-stop 72 hour flight without standing up or changing your position.

The shocking part is, that he sat in a public place the whole time and nobody cared.

Right, that's like saying someone wasn't shot by a religious lunatic, he accidentally walked into the path of six or seven bullets.

While video games have taken the spotlight for this sort of thing lately, addictions have killed people since the beginning of time.

Nobody ever wants to take responsibility, or place it where it's due. It's always Call of Duty's fault, or World of Warcraft, or sometimes it was Marylin Manson, he did it. Nobody ever says "Here's a person that had problems and should have sought help, or whose friends/family should have intervened." Instead they say "Dungeons and Dragons is witchcraft!"

It's both mentally soothing and provides confirmation and reinforcement to internal ideasthat are agreeable, making it substantially easier to blame things we don't like (or don't understand) than accept personal responsibility for their own place as part of the problem.

Depending on the social construct attacked - in Columbine it was a case of blaming the institutional bullying and poor handling of mental health issues within the public school system, OR computer games and rock music - it can be very hard for a 'newcomer' or 'unfamiliar' to seem innocent when it's fighting entrenched concepts and systems. This is especially true where the true cause has the ability to deflect to faulty individuals (victim-blaming) or is 'familiar' in having a positive effect in peoples' memories (e.g. childrens' entertainers, whom a lot of people grew up watching but are now being accused of various sexual assaults).

It's very hard to accuse a system itself as being faulty, once it's infiltrated society and people have come to believe that it's 'safe' or 'functional'. The starting point is detecting bias, both within the posts (and linked news articles) that we read and within ourselves.

I'd say that as well as addictions having killed people throughout history, it's also evident that people have been playing games for a long time, too, and these two paths haven't crossed often before (how many people died from over-playing cup-and-ball?). Addiction is more a coping mechanism (or method of expressing struggling) than a cause - Doug Stanhope (comedian) defines addiction simply as "something we enjoy more than life", and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are deeper, systemic issues behind this case, as there have been in past ones.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

It's very easy - and justified - to accuse a system which allows access to guns to unbalanced individuals.

If that's a reference going back to my mentioning Columbine (I was referring back to Gadget's mention of Marilyn Manson), my memory claims most the weapons were purchased by friends of the perps. Unsure of their "balance" when selling to Harris/Klebold, but it's easily argued that gun availability is a clear determinator in reducing death by guns. Fewer guns = fewer deaths by guns is entirely causal.

Other determining factors include the media coverage it received and the fear generated within the school system as a result. I'm sure there's more - given that the style of attack remains frequent since 1999 through to today, it's clear enough that the root cause is burrowed deep into the American psyche. Problems that have difficult-to-see or hard-to-understand causes are particularly difficult for brains to contextualise - an evolutionary drawback that's constantly being exploited in law, politics and economics.

Holding a system to account is also substantially easier than effecting change to that system. There are many sad statistics about gun crime that don't 'stick' to the issue in peoples' minds simply because they don't compliment the things that people want to believe to be true. The same is essentially true for astrology - which has been around longer than gun crime, and is even easier to discredit - yet many people read daily horoscopes even today.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Right, that's like saying someone wasn't shot by a religious lunatic, he accidentally walked into the path of six or seven bullets.

You disvalidate your own argument. I'm not even going on to explain how being murdered by another human is not compareable to dying from lack of care for your own body. And also not to mention how some people die pretty randomly during a typical shooting, expecially if the armed attacker is no professional or has the only goal to randomly shoot as many people as possible.

Blameing the game for his death is like blameing the gun. If both wasn't there he wouldn't have died. But both are objects and objects do not have an intent, especially not in the case of games, who are just by themselves not able to hurt and kill someone.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Don't even get me started on "gun crime" (guns don't commit crimes), there's so much wrong with those statistics and how people use them...

Well, firstly my definition of gun crime is the more common "crime commited using a firearm", but mostly I was avoiding talking on specific cases as off-topic. My point has always been how bad statistics and bias of various kinds can make evil things seem benign and casual things seem evil.

Well, it's not as black as white as "is gaming lethal or not?". Not many people are so addicted to gaming that theyd spend days glued to the screen until they cork out, but games do eat up lots of time and give a fake feeling of achievement that can get you hooked and keep you from having a more fulfilling rl. That's why these days I mostly stick to mobile game and set a quota on how much I can download per week, lest it gets out of control. Even then, some of the games are close calls - I got hella ducked into MedievalBattle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.