Ghosty Kips

Re: The Rodvik Review

Reply to Porky Gorky - view message

I made my case way back in April.

http://addh.blogspot.com/2012/04/its-time-for-rodvik-to-go.html

Since nothing has changed, my opinion stays the same.

Porky Gorky

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ghosty Kips - view message

An interesting read and I can find nothing in there that I really disagree with. On reading the last paragraph I can only conclude that Torley should be made the new CEO.

Member 16

Porky Gorky wrote:

An interesting read and I can find nothing in there that I really disagree with. On reading the last paragraph I can only conclude that Torley should be made the new CEO.

i would vote for Robin Linden if we could vote for our favourite Linden. for the CEO. I think she got us as a community better than anyone

I put Torley Linden in charge of new stuff. so that nothing new for SL gets made without his express say so. he knows more about the whatfors that should be in the world and how we want to use it

and make Andrew Linden to be in overall charge of all the tech and dev. he forgotten more stuff about SL dev than everyone else knows put together

+

I be quite happy if Linden Research spin off SL into a standalone. maybe Rodvik and the board will do. like set up SL as a separate division in the company. and dig out all the codeys and marketeers he got that dont get SL and put them into the other game division

get one or two of the older lindens back for the management side.of the SL division. then he not have to personal worry about SL anymore. just cash the tier checks. SL will be better in the longrun I think this way. us as well

Ossian
Topics: 8

First off, M Linden was a very easy act to follow. And Phillip's return was a non-event. But I thought Rodvik started off well. It was pretty amazing to actually be able to communicate with a Linden.

One day some clown bought $2000 US worth of lindens with my credit card, and customer service didn't seem to be doing a thing about it. I waited for weeks. I called and sent emails. It was impossible to find out if they were taking any action or whether they'd forgotten me. I mean, I would talk to someone on the phone, but they would have NO IDEA what the status of my issue was. So I asked Rodvik (via twitter) about it, and IMMEDIATELY they canceled the charge.

It was an enormous relief, but now that Rodvik has gone silent, and his interest has passed from Second Life to making games, I'm afraid that if I had an issue like that again, I would simply be screwed.

When I talk to friends or family about Second Life, I know that it's very difficult for them to understand it, so it must be very difficult to find someone who is qualified to be a CEO and at the same time has a clear idea of what Second Life is. I hope that whoever follows Rodvik "gets" Second Life - that they understand what it is, and have an idea of what it could be.

Qie Niangao

Reply to 16 - view message

i would vote for Robin Linden if we could vote for our favourite Linden. for the CEO. I think she got us as a community better than anyone

I put Torley Linden in charge of new stuff. so that nothing new for SL gets made without his express say so. he knows more about the whatfors that should be in the world and how we want to use it

and make Andrew Linden to be in overall charge of all the tech and dev. he forgotten more stuff about SL dev than everyone else knows put together

+

I be quite happy if Linden Research spin off SL into a standalone. maybe Rodvik and the board will do. like set up SL as a separate division in the company. and dig out all the codeys and marketeers he got that dont get SL and put them into the other game division

get one or two of the older lindens back for the management side.of the SL division. then he not have to personal worry about SL anymore. just cash the tier checks. SL will be better in the longrun I think this way. us as well

I agree with almost all of this, wholeheartedly. I'd spare Andrew the aggravation of actually running Engineering, but otherwise it's a formula that could would succeed.

A Second Life division of Linden Research Inc, lead by Robin, with Torley as "Chief Vision Officer", and retaining Andrew as the one who knows where all the bones are buried in the code... this place would turn around fast.

Practically speaking, though, I'm not sure Rod (nor anybody, even) has the charm to lure Robin back. But yeah, it would be better for us, SL's future -- and Rod's sanity.

Honored Member
Ciaran Laval

Reply to Qie Niangao - view message

Qie Niangao wrote:

Practically speaking, though, I'm not sure Rod (nor anybody, even) has the charm to lure Robin back. But yeah, it would be better for us, SL's future -- and Rod's sanity.

Robin would have came back in a heartbeat at one point but the ship may well have sailed now.

Ceka Cianci

[ Edited ]

i miss torley and his awesome fun videos..

those and him were a big part of making sl feel legit for me..

i would watch those and they would make me want to get out there and do whatever was in the video..that or just get out and explore or make stuffs..

he has such a great personality that just showed off SL

“Praise and blame, gain and loss, pleasure and sorrow come and go like the wind. To be happy, rest like a giant tree in the midst of them all”― Siddhartha Gautama
My Flickr
Czari Zenovka

Reply to Ghosty Kips - view message

Ghosty Kips wrote:

I made my case way back in April.

http://addh.blogspot.com/2012/04/its-time-for-rodvik-to-go.html

Since nothing has changed, my opinion stays the same.

Excellent post.

And...Hi Ghosty!!!!! /waves wildly

"I'm not building a game, I'm building a new country."
~Philip Linden (Second Life: The Official Guide, p. 274)

Member 16

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ciaran Laval - view message

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Robin would have came back in a heartbeat at one point but the ship may well have sailed now.

if SL was a separate autonomous division in the company. then can change the governance culture and the way stuff gets done. or not done

i think Robin would come back to be the Governor Linden of SL. like a real one. she will come back for us. bc Robin is our Mum in lots of ways. we her family. she will put us first in her thoughts when make decisions. she always done that way

and if people like Torley and Andrew and some others can be her Ministers in Charge of Stuff. bc they know us. like how we think and what we want. and why we want it. and why we think the way we do

is the understanding of us that is the secret to SL

Rodvik a good person I think and in terms of getting things done like technicals then he done a good job. he did try hard to understand us. so I am credit him for that. but like M and even Philip before he dont get us. he get the world and the concept. same like M and Philip did. but not us

Philip I think gave up and went away bc he had a concept for SL. and he tried to make SL according to his concept. but then we came and changed it. we had/have a different concept to his. lots of them. each individual to us. but he and M and now Rodvik. while they understand the concept of multi-facet simultaneous concepts in the same spacetime. they try to put their own concept to the forefront

people like Robin dont do that. they just manage and govern it. so can foster and help the multi-facets to grow and multiply. bc that the fundamental basic to the secret to SL. the multi-facet concepts and how as residents we think about them

Member 16

Reply to 16 - view message

ps

i just add some more about this

in my RL culture is this thing we call kawanatanga

in the pakeha (english) it end up transliterate to governorship. kawana = governor. tanga = ship. so the Empire worked on the basis of Governor in the regal royal sense. bc it was a monarchy

for us tho is different. kawana = Steward. tanga = of

if was a regal governor then rangatiratanga. rangatira = chief. tanga = of. Kawana Hobson is the Chief of Aotearoa (New Zealand)

but that not what we signed up to in the Treaty of Waitangi. we signed to kawanatanga. Kawana Hobson is the Steward of Aotearoa (New Zealand)

+

so Kawana Linden is the Steward of SL. stewardship is quite a bit different to governorship. in the approach and how you go about it

stewardship is based on respect for the whenua (environment) and the tangata (people). tangatawhenua. people and environment indivisible. one together

when apply kawanatanga to tangatawhenua then can see that we all stewards in SL. and from this our mana (respect/honour) comes

mana is a state of grace. you cant earn mana. you either have it or you dont. like cant think/say i will give you respect but only if you earn it. grace/mana is not a commodity. we cant sell this to the Kawana Linden or each other as kawana of our own lands in SL. nor can the Kawana Linden. or we ourselves. demand it from anyone. bc if we do then it puts us outside the kawanatanga and we have no mana

mana just comes when we fulfil our duty and obligations under kawanatanga and so to the tangatawhenua