Suspicious teleport offers

DawnLoria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When getting a TP offer there's usually a region name and numerical coordinates allong with a TP button. I've ocasionally get TP offers from strangers that have only a TP button and no other info. I'm afraid to click these for obvious reasons. Has anyone encountered these types of TP offers? These have to be hacking scams, right?

Thanks in advance

Dawn

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Dawn

Hacking scams?

No.

TP offers I have had a-plenty, and when I have accepted them, I have realised why it is my mother advised me never to go to places or accept sweeties from strangers!

If you haven't chatted with someone beforehand, it is unwise to accept a random TP request. At best they are just trying to get you to visit their store or vote for them at a club contest. At worst - well, lets not go there.

DawnLoria wrote:

... These have to be hacking scams, right?  ...

Wrong.

The tp request is editable.

If you received one from me, it may very well say "Come to the party" or something similar.

Rather than a hacking scam, it's probably just a bot sendng out random requests in order to fill a club.   Not a hack, but annoying.

Just ignore, and/or mute the bot (avatar or group) sending the request.

offer tp.JPG

tp request 2.JPG

I just tested this with a friend trying sending and recieving with both the Official Viewer and Firestorm.

Both allow sending custom message but neither allows a way that I can see to remove the location when sending the request and the location is sent with the request.

I did glance through debug settings also for the Official Viewer and didn't see anything that would allow removing the location when sending a TP request.

I can't speak for other Viewers

Perrie Juran wrote:

offer tp.JPG

tp request 2.JPG

I just tested this with a friend trying sending and recieving with both the Official Viewer and Firestorm.

Both allow sending custom message but neither allows a way that I can see to remove the location when sending the request and the location is sent with the request.

I did glance through debug settings also for the Official Viewer and didn't see anything that would allow removing the location when sending a TP request.

Hmmmmm, that's interesting.  I was quite certain I was on solid ground with my previous statement.

I just repeated your experiment, with me on Singularity and my friend on Firestorm, and achieved the same results as you.

So, either something has changed, or I'm just plain wrong.  (Gosh, that's never happened before!  :matte-motes-silly:)

To the OP:   Ignore the lady behind the curtain, obviously she doesn't know what she's talking about!

Edit:  Corrected spelling error before Sister Sarah found her ruler!

Dana Dielli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

offer tp.JPG

tp request 2.JPG

Hmmmmm, that's interesting.  I was quite certain I was on solid ground with my previous statement.

I just repeated your experiment, with me on Singularity and my friend on Firestorm, and achieved the same results as you.

So, either something has changed, or I'm just plain wrong.  (Gosh, that's never happened before!  :matte-motes-silly:)

To the OP:   Ignore the lady behind the curtain, obviously she doesn't know what she's talking about!

Edit:  Corrected spelling error before Sister Sarah found her ruler!

Personally I can think of no way this can be done.  The coordinates have to be sent to you in order for the system to know where you want to go.  But there are other people who know lots more than me so we'll see if anyone else has input on this.

If the Dawn can provide a screen shot I'd love to see it.

DawnLoria wrote:

I found this in my conversation log. As you can see no address.

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 7.59.28 PM.png

I don't know why a location isn't showing, but I'd stick by my original advice, not to accept lifts or sweets from strangers.

Also, if thats the avatar thats sent you the TP request, please take a look at this:

https://my.secondlife.com/candybella1028

A known spam bot by all accounts!

I've muted a friend over this before...

There are numerous groups / clubs / shops out there that will "hire" people to be 'teleporters' or that will say "TP in your friends" with events.

I've had a friend get on this track... and become a teleport spammer. She was a 3 year old account at the time too - though she took year two off. We met as noobs, spend a lot of time together. She left, and then came back and got into an SL club-hopping community...

It happens.

But I suspect it also seems perfectly valid to a lot of newbies, who then get caught up in this and wonder why people are muting them and calling them out...

OP probably landed somewhere and got seen by a subscription thing, and as such added to a list to be sent teleport requests... Good luck getting your name removed from such a list. Usually just have to mute all the various 'teleport workers'...

If it was just a TP to a place then no biggie. I read somewhere that a girl excepted a TP like this and got her inventory and money stripped away . After the jerk ejected her from his location. I don't know how true that is but after that I'm afraid to exept suspicios TPs and any objects/folders.

DawnLoria wrote:

If it was just a TP to a place then no biggie. I read somewhere that a girl excepted a TP like this and got her inventory and money stripped away . After the jerk ejected her from his location. I don't know how true that is but after that I'm afraid to exept suspicios TPs and any objects/folders.

I'm not aware of any mechanisms in the viewer or grid that would allow what you've described. I'll call that a virtual urban myth.

You are wise not to accept objects/folders as they may contain nefarious scripted objects that can grief you and/or others if you rez/wear them.

DawnLoria wrote:

That's impossible. Though it sure makes a good story to tell around a particle fire while sitting on mesh logs. :P

The real reason people get annoyed with random TP offers is the intrusion of spam and the only danger is you might be forced to see blond avatars or furries or short people or tall people or whatever it is annoys you that day... :)

Or of course... bad music, gesture spam, hosts that do nothing but tip beg, a DJ that talks over the music (which can be a blessing if the music is bad enough...) and a crowd that spams how awesomely this tune so totally rocks it... while all using cheap poorly made common freebie dances because the venue couldn't even bother to TP to one of the many motion capture dance shops in SL and buy the easy to find and frankly not all that expensive amazing options there...

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

DawnLoria wrote:

I'm not aware of any mechanisms in the viewer or grid that would allow what you've described. I'll call that a virtual urban myth.

You are wise not to accept objects/folders as they may contain nefarious scripted objects that can grief you and/or others if you rez/wear them.

Sometimes I think we need a "Sl(n)opes.com" for SL.

Love all the myths.  ;)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

DawnLoria wrote:

That's impossible. Though it sure makes a good story to tell around a particle fire while sitting on mesh logs.
:P

The real reason people get annoyed with random TP offers is the intrusion of spam and the only danger is you might be forced to see blond avatars or furries or

The Furmasons are hiring TP bots to lure people to their get-togethers?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

DawnLoria wrote:

Sometimes I think we need a "Sl(n)opes.com" for SL.

Love all the myths. 
;)

(My highlighting in red) Perrie, that is one of the coolest ideas I've heard in a looong time!!! (I so love Snopes, lol)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.