Perrie Juran

Study: Virtual Women Show Twice as Much 'Skin' as Men

[ Edited ]

"The human tendency to reveal or cover naked skin reflects a competition between the individual propensity for social interactions related to sexual appeal and interpersonal touch versus climatic, environmental, physical, and cultural constraints. However, due to the ubiquitous nature of these constraints, isolating on a large scale the spontaneous human tendency to reveal naked skin has remained impossible. Using the online 3-dimensional virtual world of Second Life, we examined spontaneous human skin-covering behavior unhindered by real-world climatic, environmental, and physical variables. Analysis of hundreds of avatars revealed that virtual females disclose substantially more naked skin than virtual males. This phenomenon was not related to avatar hypersexualization as evaluated by measurement of sexually dimorphic body proportions. Furthermore, analysis of skin-covering behavior of a population of culturally homogeneous avatars indicated that the propensity of female avatars to reveal naked skin persisted despite explicit cultural norms promoting less revealing attire. These findings have implications for further understanding how sex-specific aspects of skin disclosure influence human social interactions in both virtual and real settings."

Virtually Naked: Virtual Environment Reveals Sex-Dependent Nature of Skin Disclosure

ETA:  DISCLAIMER:  This study does not reflect my personal views nor do I necessarily agree with everything in this study.  I posted it because I thought it would be of interest to every one here.

Re: Study: Virtual Women Show Twice as Much 'Skin' as Men

Reply to Perrie Juran - view message

Yes they do.  I can't speak for all women but i have a couple of ideas about why that is the case. 

1) Virtual Women do not have to fear that they will be raped no matter how scantily dressed they are.

2) Virtual Women can make their shapes look exactly as they want them to appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------
a legend in my own mind
Contributor
Theresa Tennyson

[ Edited ]

In completely unrelated news:

Study: Scientists Discover Women Wear Skirts and Tank Tops

I'd put in a link to it but all it says is, "Well, chah..."

Honored Resident
angiewolf

1) did you include sims like kop, where its virtually written into the rules that women can't dress normally, whereas men can dress however? 2) in virtual world we don't have to worry about skin problems... It's all perfect so we FINALLY get to live up to your standards. 3) some of us come here to dress like that because though we'd like to in rl, omg never! So it's freedom to dress like those ***** on the magazines, rail thin, xcept boobs n butts, perfect skin and more admiration than judgement. And to think, i usually overthink stuff. 8D
Perrie Juran

Reply to kattatonia Wickentower - view message

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

Yes they do.  I can't speak for all women but i have a couple of ideas about why that is the case. 

1) Virtual Women do not have to fear that they will be raped no matter how scantily dressed they are.

2) Virtual Women can make their shapes look exactly as they want them to appear.

I'm curious if you read the study. 

I'm also surprised that you would bring up what is the penultimate in the objectification of women here.  We could bring up the whole issue of emotional abuse that can and does happen in SL.  But I hope this thread does not side track to focus on just this issue.

I guess I'd have to ask around all the women I know in SL to find out if it is really the freedom from this fear that is a or the primary reason they dress so scantily.   I seriously doubt that is it though.

Coby Foden

Perrie Juran wrote:

I guess I'd have to ask around all the women I know in SL to find out if it is really the freedom from this fear that is a or the primary reason they dress so scantily.

Sometimes I do enjoy walking in SL beaches in tiny bikinis and admire the nicely tanned skin on my avatar. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Not having to be afraid of anything bad happening is also a factor.

And there is also the possibility - occasionally - to hear some nice comments from the other gender, feeding one's vanity. :smileytongue:  :smileywink:

desismileys_2131.gif

Syo Emerald
Topics: 26

You never have to worry about your skin or the weather in a virtual world. Also there is no difference here in comfort between a short skirt or jeans. I think most people want to dress up into something pretty, and most women would think a flirty red dress with a deep cut out is more beautiful than some normal everyday clothes they also wear in RL every day.

The study could also be about that virtual people tend to dress up more often in fairy costumes than people in RL.

On the internet nobody knows you are a dog.
Honored Member
Ciaran Laval

Thaks Perrie, I'd only seen tongue in cheek reports about this survey and had been looking for the full report to get more context on what they were really looking into.

Tex Monday
Topics: 36

I may be wrong, but I think you're all missing a couple of things:

In SL, you can make your body appear however you want...and the sexuality is VERY VERY loose here. Plus, a lot of the fashions, I think, are designed that way. I don't know of many shops that sell pants and long tops. Most sell really short skins, stockings and low cut tops...again, all my opinion.

Also, a good percentage (and I have no numbers only my personal research) of females in SL are played by men. What guy wouldn't want their girl to be dressed all sexy, showing off lots of skin??? So, of course, they dress that way too.

Again..just my opinion...:matte-motes-sunglasses-2:

I am but a leaf in the whirlwind of my life.....
Nuhai Ling

Interesting study about showing skin...

Hmm, I have to say I am interested in reading this and will do so very soon. My immediate thoughts though revolve around three important differences between Real Life and Virtual Life and their impacts or considerations in this study:

1. Did they confirm the Real Life gender of all the Virtual Life avatars they observed and their respective ages?

2. How can they make Real Life deductions from Virtual Life behaviors if things like body image, personal grooming, perfect weather, face lights, etc. are all instantaneous, consistent, and available in one social setting and not the other?

3. Did they consider personal self-image as the only factor for wearing less or did they somehow incorporate other Real Life factors such as social expectations, personal safety, etc.?

All of these things came to mind because I see the point of the synopsis but at the same time can't see how they might make Real Life claims. For instance, as a Real Life woman in my mid-20s, I wear cloths that fit the occasion, location, and personal intent. For example, I would not wear a business suit to the beach or my bikini in some city slum. On the other hand, my avi is much more liberal in dressing because I can TP, use my ignore button, or ban people from my house if I feel uncomfortable in the setting or threatened by someone else.

Sooo.... those are my immediate thoughts before reading it. I could be missing the whole point of the study too but it was fun to think about it in this way too. I will keep my fingers crossed for a good read!