Streaming issues?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Keep in mind that in some cases, when a change to about land is made (i.e. description or name change, banning or unbanning someone, etc), it can cause the stream to fade out and and back in. When you change about land settings, you are in essence resetting "about land" which incluides yoru stream UR, meaning it is basically stoppign the stream and restarting it. This has been happening now for about 2 years and it seems to be intermittent... but when i happens it continues for a while.

Maybe someone was changing something in about land?

By the way, if you were connected when all this happened, the best way to see if it was truly the stream is to listen on a player outside of SL, like Winamp.

The separatiion of SL servers and Streams server is already mentioned above by others.

• 4 months later...

i agree with you minsc tearfall  i have found the same issue in only the last week, i have a shoutcast stream and use winamp and have had no problems up till now. my url works fine in a browser pasted in or through my phone browser, and now the same url unchanged will not work when its places in the sound option on land, all i get is silence now.

i have contacted wavestream who i get my stream from and they have confirmed that there is no issues at their end, friends can also hear it when pasting it to a browser.  wavestream say the fault must be with second life, i have just sent a ticket to LL, but as yet no repsponce to it :(((

With LL viewer I have noticed that if I change the media URL that it will occasionally pause the stream.  Look up at the very top right.  If the icon next to the speaker is the "Play" triangle, the stream is paused.  Click the triangle to start it again or hover over the icon, then click More to get a list of all available streams.  Click on the one you want and then click Play.

It is not just for my land when this happens. Whenever I TP somewhere there is a random chance the player will pause again.  For me it starts when I change the media stream and a fresh re-log clears it.

• 1 year later...

Recently several In World Radio stations have upgraded to shoutcast v2 servers, v1 no longer being supported by the most common and popular browsers (Chrome, ID, Edge etc).  For some reason the viewers don't like shoutcast v2.

The most common behavior is as follows

When you toggle your music player (or enter a new region or parcel ) there is a 5 second delay before stream begins playing.  (This happens regardless of your 'fade' setting in preferences)

About 30 seconds after start there is another 5 second drop out.

Random reconnects occur afterward with the same 5 second drops.  

When in large multi-sim areas using the same streaming audio source, or crossing parcel lines the initial behavior repeats itself.  

If you turn on the same stream in an external browser there is no dead air or restarts.  The problem does not occur with older (obsolete and unsupported)  v1 stream sources.

I have contacted both LL and Firestorm regarding this.   

Please let LL know if you experience the same issue.  It seems to only happen with streams using Shoucast v2.

Trader1 Whiplash
T1Radio.com

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.