Skill game guessing game

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The skill game policy is in effect.  Probably there is lots I don't understand about it.  So I come here to put down what I think is happening.  The experts can show where I am confused.

It was a long time coming.  Okay, I admit it really wasn't a long time coming.  The timeline was surprsingly short.

• July 9 – LL blogs that a new skill game policy will be efffective Aug 1st\
  • July 29 – LL blogs that the implementation date has moved to Sept 1st.  LL says, among other things, that by moving the date they will be able to process a larger number of applications
  • Aug 21 – LL approves 7 skill game operators and 3 skill game creators
  • Aug 27 – LL blogs a reminder re:  Sept 1st effective date.  LL helpfully mentions that "*As noted in the FAQ, creators and operators whose applications are under review at the deadline may continue to operate skill games while their applications are reviewed, provided that they have submitted all required documentation and continue to promptly respond to any inquiries from Linden Lab. "
  • Sep 1 – Skill game policy in effect

By moving the deadline the LL was able to approve a total of 10 applications.   The number disapproved or pending of course is something we're left to guess at.

So now if you're not allowed to visit a skill game sim – that's automagically prevented?  Perhaps.  I mean there are the offcially designated skill game regions.  But then there are the operators/creators with pending approval stuff that they can continue to use.  Does the pending approval stuff that's continuing to operate need to be in an official skill game sim now?  Idk.  Perhaps.  I guess no.

Before going to a sim can you tell if it's an approved skill game region?  You can tell by visiting the list of approved skill regions and doing a manual scan.  This is not a quick process.  Once there you are able to check for text in the Type field of the About Land display.

skill region filtered.PNG

So if it's a skill game region then – are the games there skill games and do they comply?  If they were approved they should have special names and special approved creator names.  If they were disapproved... well those look the same as the approval pending items I guess.  So that's a problem not solved by extending both the application deadline and the implementation deadline to the same date.  I guess you could just trust that the game operator is complying with the TOS and you'll be fine.  To be safe run away.  Because you, the participant, are responsible for knowing .....

Well, how about you come across an apparent skill game in a non-skill game region.  Okay to play it there?  Hmmmm.... the blog note says if the creators/operators are pending approval they're okay to continue to do their thing.  So – can you continue to do your thing?   I guess you can.  Of course the pending approval skill games look the same as the violator/never applied for approval ones.  To be safe run away.

Reviewing where we are:

• In a skill game region and the game creator has those special names and approved creators – good to go (if you're old enough and not from a banned location)
  • In a skill game region and the game creator doesn't have the special name or creators things – your guess.
  • Not in a skill game region  ... I guess it's your guess there too.

This  little jingle about operator & creators might be helpful:

No need to comply
    If they apply
    And they try
    On the fly
    They get by

Of course it will get easier over time.   After awhile the secret list of applicants still waiting for a decision who also applied before Sept 1st will dwindle to nothing.

All of which gives me the opportunity to say that complying with the skill game policy is a game of chance.  

Thank you Linden Lab.

The only part of this that I can/will even try to make some sense of is this:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Well, how about you come across an apparent skill game in a non-skill game region.  Okay to play it there?  Hmmmm.... the blog note says if the creators/operators are pending approval they're okay to continue to do their thing. 
So – can you continue to do your thing?   I guess you can.
  Of course the pending approval skill games look the same as the violator/never applied for approval ones.  To be safe run away.

As someone who lives in a banned state, I wouldn't take the chance of playing one, even if it was there for me to be able to play.  It matters not that the creator may be in compliance with LL's policy by having the game available post-implementation/pre-approval... there is no such caveat in place for me as a player, therefore my playing it would immediately be a violation of the policy.  I simply wouldn't take the chance, even if I didn't think I'd get reported/caught.

...Dres

I understand Dres.  That reminded me of a RL incident.  I was visiting a traveling carnival in a small town.  The game operator there was very careful to be sure i was a visitor.  It seems the sheriff wouldn't allow local residents to play a certain game of chance.  However, not being from a banned location I was allowed to play. Special treatment for visitors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.