Single Quotes or Double Quotes?

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm pretty inconsistent, I think. I have one rule I follow most of the time but it's strictly my own rule. If I'm referencing the title of a movie or book in its full form I'll use double quotes, as in "The Bridge on the River Kwai", but if I'm talking about the subject later in the discussion and want to use a shortened version I'll use singles as in 'Bridge'.

The rest of the time I probably use doubles when it's something I really think is important and singles if not so much. Like I said. Inconsistent.

For all ESL'ers (i.e. English as a second language) it might be good practice to follow a simple rule:

1. British practice

British practice is normally to enclose quoted matter between single quotation marks, and to use double quotation marks for a quotation within a quotation:

'Have you any idea', he said, 'what "dillygrout" is?'

(Note: The order is often reversed in newspapers.)

2. US practice

US practice is uniformly to enclose quoted matter between double quotation marks, and to use single quotation marks for a quotation within a quotation:

"Have you any idea", he said, "what 'dillygrout' is?"

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm pretty inconsistent, I think. I have one rule I follow most of the time but it's strictly my own rule. If I'm referencing the title of a movie or book in its full form I'll use double quotes, as in "The Bridge on the River Kwai", but if I'm talking about the subject later in the discussion and want to use a shortened version I'll use singles as in 'Bridge'.

The rest of the time I probably use doubles when it's something I really think is important and singles if not so much. Like I said. Inconsistent.

I never use double quotes for referencing things like that. i reserve for quoting what's been said or written, and I use single quotes for referencing stuff.

Just a note here: grammar is very flexible. It's used to make thing clear and, as long as something is clear, it's good grammar.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I never use double quotes for referencing things like that. i reserve for quoting what's been said or written, and I use single quotes for referencing stuff.

Just a note here: grammar is very flexible. It's used to make thing clear and, as long as something is clear, it's good grammar.

I got my ownself curious here now because I've been using 'single' or "double" quotation marks for emphasis.

I'm not even sure when I started doing this, though I've been fairly consistent with it.

It's generally accepted on the Internet that THIS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING and it is bad form to shout at people.  In days of old when we wrote by hand or used simple typewriters we would underline in order to emphasise but I have just learned that when you sent a manuscript to a typesetter it told them to italicise the words.  And now underlining is used for hyperlinks on the Internet. And then we also have bolding.

Lots of fun.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I think we should start using { for asides written by kinky people } and [ for asides written by straight-laced people ].

And I clearly need to find the right punctuation to keep from having my expletives deleted.

You need to remember to write in excremental terms.

(yes, we noticed what happened)

Perrie Juran wrote:

I think we should start using { for asides written by kinky people } and [ for asides written by straight-laced people ].

And I clearly need to find the right punctuation to keep from having my expletives deleted.

I didn't know it was cool to use foul language (expletives) on the this forum.  Should responses now be written in 133t so that ONLYMadelaine may produce her excremental and hypocriy laced posts? Is it what's good for the forum is not good enough for Madelaine? If so, since when?  I find her words foul and filled with hypocrisy, don't you?  

we should start using ... aside

here is aside |

and here is aotherside |

here is aangle || bc it has 2 sides

and obviously here is atriangle ||| and here is asquare |||| bc they have 3 and 4 sides each

now this |||||||| might be considered aoctogon bc it has 8 sides. However is not. Is 2 squares. It has to be that way otherwise people might get confused

irihapeti wrote:

here is aside |

and here is aotherside |

and obviously here is atriangle ||| and here is asquare |||| bc they have 3 and 4 sides each

now this |||||||| might be considered aoctogon bc it has 8 sides. However is not. Is 2 squares. It has to be that way otherwise people might get confused

|||||||| //////// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I should have used glue.

DejaHo wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I didn't know it was cool to use foul language (expletives) on the this forum.  Should responses now be written in 133t so that ONLYMadelaine may produce her excremental and hypocriy laced posts? Is it what's good for the forum is not good enough for Madelaine? If so, since when?  I find her words foul and filled with hypocrisy, don't you?  

Maybe I am a hypocrite for allowing her to get away with it.

Or maybe I was being sarcastic.

Regardless, I have no real control over what anyone does in this Forum, only control over my own words.

irihapeti wrote:

here is aside |

and here is aotherside |

||||||||

//////// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

well done!! as aside you aexpert already. What you showed is aoperation of aside

aside have 4 aoperators|aoperands. aside |. aleft \. aright /. arepose _

like for example:  / \ = |. aleftside followed by arightside result in aside (sometimes called avertical)

which is the same result as \ /. Is not the same avertical tho. Even tho the result maybe looks the same. bc /\ != \/. They not same (like not equal) bc they dont look the same. Therefore the result cant be the same either. Even when it looks the same

other example: // = _. is not the same as \\ = _.  or how is usual written: _\\ //_

How did it get to arepose? It fell over. The placement of arepose show that it did fall over and also how. Which is not the same as falling over the other way

(:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Maybe I am a hypocrite for allowing her to get away with it. Or maybe I was being sarcastic.

Perrie Juran wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Maybe I am a hypocrite
for allowing her to get away with it.

Or maybe I was being sarcastic.

Regardless, I have no real control over what anyone does in this Forum, only control over my own words.

You are what you ̶e̶a̶t̶  post, I took notice.  Are you proud to be a hypocrite, or are you just sayin? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.