Signing in madness

Emma Krokus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

If you log into your dashboard first then use the menu to go to the Forum and/or Marketplace you will be already logged in to those two places.

That's what you'd think is supposed to happen but many of us randomly experience what Emma reports.

In fact just now I was logged in to my Dashboard and opened Market in a separate tab and was asked to sign in. 

login 1.JPG

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

If you log into your dashboard first then use the menu to go to the Forum and/or Marketplace you will be already logged in to those two places.

This has never been the case for me. Dashboard/Feed/Forum/Marketplace are four different independent sign-ins. I noodled with this a long ago because it seemed remarkably incompetent. I just played with it again, nothing has changed.

ETA: I suspect cookie handling is responsible for people having different experiences with log-in. I do not allow cookies from third-party sites.

Emma Krokus wrote:

What's up with this??

Go to transactions page in dashboard - log in

immediately after

Go to Marketplace - log in again

immediate
ly
after

go to Forum - log in yet again

ARGGGGGGGHHHHH!

Makes me want to save my password on the computer - and that isn't safe!!

Emma, all of those systems were implemented by LL. Surely you needn't a more compelling explanation for why it is the way it is!

;-).

What happens to me always is:

1. First I log into my dashboard.

After that:
2. I go to the Markeplace, I'm logged in there too.
3. I go to My Seconf Life, I'm logged in there too.
4. I go to the forums, I'm not logged in. It always needs a separate log in.

Today, just for an experiment I did this:

I was logged into my dashboard and into the forums.
Then I logged out from the forums.
I went to look at my dashboard. I was logged out from there too!  :smileysurprised:

Aaargghhh...  the login system seems to be broken in some strange way. :smileyfrustrated:

Way back when shortly after LL switched to Lithium based drugs I did this thread about the log-in AND MORE IMPORTANTLY the LOG OUT problems with the website.

So this is not a new thing.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Security-Flaw-In-The-Second-Life-Web-Site/m-p/1279015

I probably should have started a JIRA way back then but at that time I was boycotting the JIRA's.

The log in and log out functions are very poorly implemented.

Hi Everyone!

Doing a reply to myself to respond to you all.

Thank you for your participation:)

@ Alwin: I thought with it all being Second Life maybe that wouldn't be necessary - so tempting to just save passwords.

@ Amethyst: I'm sure it used to work that way for me too!

@ Perrie: YES!! and wow that thread - maybe this is meant to make it more secure now

@ Madelaine: Hmmm wonder how long ago I disabled 3rd party cookies - not worth having them back tho!

@ Coby: That's is odd! I It never worked for me in the first place though when I was logged into Dashboard...

@ Perrie: wow that thread - maybe this is meant to make it more secure now?? 

@ Cheri: DO you happen to know whether you have 3rd party cookies disabled?

Emma Krokus wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Doing a reply to myself to respond to you all.

Thank you for your participation:)

@ Perrie: YES!! and wow that thread - maybe this is meant to make it more secure now

@ Perrie: wow that thread - maybe this is meant to make it more secure now?? 

Actually it's never changed.   :(

Same as ever. Cold start on machine, fired up sing, logged to erm another place, out, logged back inworld to pay a bill, out, fired up firefox and opened forum, read this, signed in to check transactions (dashboard?) opened tab to MP, checked listings..and came back and answered this.

So LL wise only signed in once and my box is set to not ever remember anything...which is why i have my trusty pen and pad nearby.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.