Should I close my SL account or keep it alive, but without logging in and switching to other games?

gusbenedito

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everybody,

I'm an user of SL for 4 years. I need your counsels.

But since my best friend's death, this year, I became increasingly alone and lonely. My best friend was the one who always talked with me and gave me counsels. We had never sex or never kissed. It was our pure friendship. We were going to commemorate 4th year of friendship.

Since then, I don't find a smilar "best friend". The "best friend" is that who never has sex or kisses with me, always gives me counsels, encourages me and helps me, but also always talks with me. 

Of course I have friends in my list, but not many. But I don't consider them "friends", so they don't talk with me and forget me. When I always talk with everybody, nobody answers me or everybody says they're busy with sex. So I can't disturb them. I don't have anyone to talk with me. I feel very lonely. 

I don't want to make new friends, so they're interested only in sex. When I talk with new friends, they're always busy with sex and don't answer me. 

When I log in everytime, I see nobody answers me and early I log out. Since it happened, I stopped logging in SL for some weeks. 

SL becomes increasingly worse and useless for me when it becomes well-known for virtual sex. Before, it was the best for making friendship with the foreigners and learning the cultures and the languages. Good time of SL is gone. 

Should I close my SL account or keep it alive, without logging in and switch to other games?

gusbenedito wrote: [...] Should I close my SL account or keep it alive, without logging in and switch to other games?

That depends on whether you will ever change your mind about Second Life or not, and I think it's a fair answer that if you don't know that, we're even less in a position to know. Logically, though, if in a doubt you should keep your options open, which means not closing it.

I am sorry you lost your best friend but don't close your account.  If you want to leave just leave.  But if you decide to come back your account will be there.  Just be sure to write down your email, username and password and make sure your email address is up to date too.  Many people forget these things and then have to jump through a lot of hoops to get their account back.

But why leave?  If all you are doing is IM'ing people who don't respond, it's time to clean out your friends list then get out there and find new friends who will talk to you.  If everyone wants sex that you meet, you just aren't going to the right places.  Not everyone is into that.  Go to different places than you've been going to.  Better yet, put it in your profile so people know up front.

Realize too that not everyone is available every time you IM or want to do something and it could be reasons that have nothing to do with sex.  So no one is going to always talk to you and you are being unrealistic to expect that.  Try to make a few good friends so if one isn't available, another may be.

Lastly if this is really true "SL becomes increasingly worse and useless for me when it becomes well-known for virtual sex." then you are going about your SL the wrong way.  There are tons of people here that don't want that.  If you try, you can go a long time without ever seeing or hearing about it.

Wait! "twisted" me? :P

In all seriousness, two things. I've always loved helping newbs, it reminds me of the time I was new when everything was shiny and fresh, so giving back and doing the simpler things for a break is not such a silly suggestion.

Second thing, I was once told by someone far more worthy than I, "Do what makes you happy". It's not always easy but harsh though I may sound at times, I won't always sugar coat an answer. If SL is making you unhappy, don't be in SL.

Hold on to your account. Don't make any decisions right now. If you never use it again...shrugs. But if you close it...3 months from now you may feel better and want to come back. It's not like it's going anywhere or costing you anything if you have a free account. If you have a paid account, I'd switch it to a free account for now unless you have land you want to keep.

Sassy Romano wrote:

If SL is making you unhappy, don't be in SL.

Which is different than closing the account.

I closed my first SL account to decrease the chances I'd come back. Oops. (Though I did win a bet with Brenda Connolly by staying away five weeks. She bet I couldn't stay away three.)

Last year I gave up drinking diet soda and switched back to drinking my tap water. I keep some soda in the pantry just to tempt myself. I'm perverse that way.

And "twisted" you?

Mmm hmm.

;-).

I've been through two rounds of chemo since joining SL several years ago and I made the mistake of cancel/restarting my account again and I just learned to keep it active ..   LL makes the transition easy, but it's the process of calling, waiting, resetting.

My advice is to keep it active and perhaps put a message "Away for a few months, etc", or whatever.

Deepest sympathy to you.

There's lots of communities not revolving around sex.

Try the goldtokens fish hunt community for example.........all they do is fish and make freinds.....

Or learn something creative like building and meet freinds through contests and other such things.....

Sounds like you just ended up in the wrong sex-obsessed clique to me....:smileywink:

(not that I have anthing against the sex-obsessed)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.