Deltango Vale
Topics: 38

Should CCP buy Second Life?

I was looking around at MMORPGs and stumbled upon the following:

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html

Well, I sure hope EA doesn't buy SL.

Then I stumbled upon EVE Online. Should CCP Games buy Second Life? If so, should SL be maintained as a separate world or merged in some way into the EVE universe?

Helper
Knowl Paine

Re: Should CCP buy Second Life?

Reply to Deltango Vale - view message

Wouldn't LL have to want to sell?

Coby Foden

Deltango Vale wrote:

Should CCP Games buy Second Life?

Why should they?
question.gif

Ayesha Askham

I might be wrong about this (I usually am) but, didn't Rod Humble work for EA? Somehow it would seem appropriate.:smileywink:

Ay

I used to be indecisive...now I'm not so sure.
Medhue Simoni
Topics: 93

[ Edited ]

Wow! Pretty dang interesting stuff considering LL's employees relationship with EA. Looks like they all got out just in time. Now, they have to deal with us, lol.

@Ayesha - I think Rod and Will Wright(board member) both worked for EA, as well as a bunch more Lindens.

Ann Otoole
Topics: 16

CCP is building World of Darkness. That will likely soak a vast portion of revenue out of SL when it is done.Maybe. Depends on how it turns out.

Oh, and to the naysayers, yes the work is continuing. WoD was never canceled. Re: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_xGH0v93U

So no. Why should CCP buy SL?

☥☠☥Unique Needs! on SLM☥☠☥

Peggy Paperdoll

Reply to Knowl Paine - view message

Yeah, LL would have to want to sell before SL would be sold.  But that's irrelevant in a rumor (or an attempt to get a rumor started).

Deltango Vale wrote:

I was looking around at MMORPGs and stumbled upon the following:

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html

Well, I sure hope EA doesn't buy SL.

Then I stumbled upon EVE Online. Should CCP Games buy Second Life? If so, should SL be maintained as a separate world or merged in some way into the EVE universe?

The following story about CCP will sound eerily familiar, I think...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-10-19-ccp-to-reduce-headcount-by-20-percent-to-concentrat...

And for some perspective on troubles for the console gaming industry in general...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/23/3-ways-the-video-game-business-could-bounce-back/

Note in particular TIm Cook's comments in bullet #2 of that article.

I enabled anti-aliasing. Why is Snugs still here?
Please give generously to the McMasters Institute for the Advancement of Harmless Flirtation™.
PudgyPaddy

methinks LL should buy EA. 

Using LL, SL, AE, I would rename the company as LaLESS.

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.
Medhue Simoni
Topics: 93

[ Edited ]

Reply to Madelaine McMasters - view message

I called it years ago. Not cause I'm some gameguru, cause I would hardly be called a gamer. The console is a 1985 product and still runs the same way. It had some advantages early on when competing with a PC, mainly because nobody wanted to pay 2000 for a PC good enough to equal the console. Personally, I was never a console player. I've always hated using a controller and once I started playing PC First Person Shooters, the difference was incredible, besides the fact that PC games generally have alot more content, and levels to their games. The PC made games epic. It's just too bad that most of the world didn't see that. The gaming companies are like teenager wanting to follow the trendy people instead of being the ones to make the trends.

We see the same thing now with handhelds. Now, game companies are mainly throwing epic out the window for simple games. It is an extremely bad move for any major gaming company, and very short sighted. It's ridiculous to think a large game company can support itself on those business models. OMG, and touch screen, how much more limiting can you get?

The other side of the coin is exactly what Ann pointed to with WOD. Now, I have no experience at all with CCP, but look how they are running the company. LL did the same thing. You get popular, you make some money, then you spend all that money on expanding. We see this with brick and mortar franchises all the time. 1 year you see 20 of the same stores open on every corner, and 3 years down the road, more than half are gone. With WOD, they been working on it for almost 5 years, and they have 50 people working on it. WTF are all those people doing? I mean really. How many people does it take to make a f---ing game. At the max, you need 10-15 talented people, not 50. To give them some credit, they mentioned that they needed to created alot of different system that they didn't have in the EVE engine, or something like that.

This brings me to my final point. How the hell do you pay for all those people when they work for you for 5 years and never produce an actual product? It's almost like there is no1 actually running the place and making those big decisions.