Second Life / Real Life Reporting?

EvaHarford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recall reading many years ago about a new program where SL residents can provide certain information so that in the event of a rl emergency where they are unable to log in-world, the program staff would contact their sl friends and fill them in.  Does anyone know anything about this?  What is/was it called?  Is it still around?

EvaHarford wrote:

I recall reading many years ago about a new program where SL residents can provide certain information so that in the event of a rl emergency where they are unable to log in-world, the program staff would contact their sl friends and fill them in.  Does anyone know anything about this?  What is/was it called?  Is it still around?

You may be thinking of this:

If I die in real life, can you let my Second Life friends know?

Maybe. Linden Lab can only act on instructions that are part of a legally-recognized document such as a valid will. You would have to specify in your will that you want this action performed (for example, notifying everyone in your friends list), and we would need a copy of the will and whatever other verifying documents we deem necessary.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Death_and_other_worries_outside_Second_Life

Outside of this I've never heard of a program like you described.

ETA: Dont you just love how this Forum software does "smiley faces" in URLs?

Pamela Galli wrote:

Why not have a friend designated to log in on your account if you get hit by a bus?

I actually had that for a while. A friend of mine, inworld who was also a friend on social media, had my password so that she could inform people if something were to happen to me and to allow her to have access to my vast sums of lindens :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I had changed my password when we had problems and haven't told her since then.

LL does have something in place where you can transfer your account information to someone else in the event of death, but it seems like a whole lot of work.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Death_and_other_worries_outside_Second_Life

ETA: Perrie beat me to it....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Although my answer doesn't specifically give you a product or service, it's remarkably easy to arrange.  All you need is a scripted prim inworld that monitors your login and resets the counter.  If no login, counter of however long you like, gets exceeded and the item sends a notecard/IM to those to be notified.

More complex methods could be used to do this for others by monitoring the logins of those who had subscribed.  It wouldn't need much in terms of complexity but probably wouldn't be too attractive as a database of peoples RL info and I can't see many wanting to subscribe.  What about those who just chose to leave for whatever reason, forgot that they'd sub'ed to such a service and then end up having their RL details spammed around?  Oh boy, the dramatainment that would fall out of THAT! :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

ETA:
Dont you just love how this Forum software does "smiley faces" in URLs?

FIFY  :matte-motes-nerdy:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official-Death_and_other_worries_outside_Second_Life

It's the colon and the letter following the colon causing the smiley to appear. I replaced the colon with a hyphen above so no smiley. Naturally you have to that in the "Text to display", not in the link itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

I just have a little note in my "upon death" paperwork, here at home.  It tells my password and other pertinent info, so a member of my family can come in and notify friends or make a statement
:)

Exactly perfect Kylie - I have several addendum's to my will that include Social Media Notification Instructions for my family and a few designated friends to complete. All parties are aware of these addendum's 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.