Second Life 2.0: Can We Build a Virtual Utopia?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the answer is a resounding "Yes"!!

Particularly if we begin with these very modest additions to the new virtual world:

• A built-in viewer “Hug Hud” for all avatars, featuring at least 5 different hug animations.

• A ToS requirement for 15-minute looping “pillow talk and cuddling” animations back-ended on all sex animations.

• A built-in chat autocorrect feature for male avatars that changes the words “sex,” “seks,” and “sekksies” to the words “a nice walk in the garden so that I can tell you how much your opinions matter to me.”

• An additional section of the Community Standards document, entitled “Hurt Feelings.”

• A weekly allowance of flower bouquets and knee-length boots to accompany the weekly L$ payout for premium members.

• All male avatars on a 28-day cycle; for a five-day period during this cycle, built-in scripts that have the resident doubled over in pain or bursting into tears at random intervals.

• A choice of 58 varieties of gender identity for your avatar.

• A ban of all straight male avatars from malls and large shopping areas. Because lag, and they just get underfoot anyway.

• Polyamorous options under “Partnering.” Available for female avatars. Only.

• Fitted mesh sports bras built into the viewer for when avatar physics are enabled.

• A 25% reduction of the maximum settings for chest, upper arms, and thighs on male avatars. Because, srsly, who do you think you’re fooling?

• Maximum size established in the Community Standards document for male genital attachments. Anything larger than a standard English cucumber can be ARed.

• A five-minute “Warning Period” for rendering de-rezzed male genitals, with accompanying flashing lights and sirens. Because, no, you don’t just spring that on a girl.

• A permaban on glitch pants. Because ew.

• A ban on pierced male genital attachments of any kind. Because ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

• A re-organization of the Market Place, with two overall categories: “Footwear,” and “Everything Else.”

I think if we work together, we can realize a virtual ideal in Linden Lab's new virtual world that will be a ringing example for all the ages to come!

My first thought before even reading your post was it won't work,  they tried building a Virtual Utopia for humans in the Matrix and the human mind rejected it.

But after reading what you wrote it's obvious that the machines were not thinking like you, may be there is hope for a Virtual Utopia .  I'd like to take your approach one step further I'd like the option to render all other avatars as female.

I think you're onto something here, though I think you're a li'l too tough on the fellas. They're not the only of the 58 genders to suffer slider-itis.

Mr. Wigglies should not be attachments, they should be a part of the avatar mesh. And like "our girls", they should be subject to avatar physics. Nothing would lift my mood during those five RL days of my 28 like zooming the "Wiggliness", "Gravity" and "Attention" sliders around.

I want a marketplace category for "Thoughfully Silly" stuff.

Neither flowers nor knee length boots... propane and sandals.

I suppose I won't miss glitch pants in SL, but I'm keeping them in RL. Nothing sets the mood for a summer party faster than squealing "Look, I'm wearing big-girl pants!" while hiking my sundress over my head to reveal jean shorts.

I want the ability to ban anyone, anytime, anywhere, for any reason. I also want the ability prevent them from logging out.

I'll think of more. Give me time.

ETA: I want the Cornfield back, and I want to live there.

ETA2: I missed the fine print in your post - "I think if we work together". That's a non-starter.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

• Maximum size established in the Community Standards document for male genital attachments. Anything larger than a standard English cucumber can be ARed.

How very generous of you...

...Dres

Yikes. :-o

We clearly do not patronize the same green grocers!

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

My first thought before even reading your post was it won't work,  they tried building a Virtual Utopia for humans in the Matrix and the human mind rejected it.

But after reading what you wrote it's obvious that the machines were not thinking like you, may be there is hope for a Virtual Utopia .  I'd like to take your approach one step further I'd like the option to render all other avatars as female.

This is an excellent idea.

With an optional "Auto-Mute" feature.

;-)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Particularly if we begin with these
very
modest additions to the new virtual world:

• A built-in viewer “Hug Hud” for all avatars, featuring at least 5 different hug animations.

• A ToS requirement for 15-minute looping “pillow talk and cuddling” animations back-ended on all sex animations.

• A built-in chat autocorrect feature for male avatars that changes the words “sex,” “seks,” and “sekksies” to the words “a nice walk in the garden so that I can tell you how much your opinions matter to me.”

• An additional section of the Community Standards document, entitled “Hurt Feelings.”

• A weekly allowance of flower bouquets and knee-length boots to accompany the weekly L$ payout for premium members.

• All male avatars on a 28-day cycle; for a five-day period during this cycle, built-in scripts that have the resident doubled over in pain or bursting into tears at random intervals.

• A ban of all straight male avatars from malls and large shopping areas. Because lag, and they just get underfoot anyway.

• Fitted mesh sports bras built into the viewer for when avatar physics are enabled.

• A 25% reduction of the maximum settings for chest, upper arms, and thighs on male avatars. Because, srsly,
    who do you think you’re fooling?

• A five-minute “Warning Period” for rendering de-rezzed male genitals, with accompanying flashing lights and sirens. Because, no, you don’t just spring that on a girl.

• A ban on pierced male genital attachments of any kind. Because ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

• A re-organization of the Market Place, with two overall categories: “Footwear,” and “Everything Else.”

I think if we work together, we can 
realize
 a virtual ideal in Linden Lab's new virtual world that will be a ringing example for all the ages to come!

Yes

Okay. Fifteen minutes seems a bit of a stretch.

Okay

Pfft

Lingerie and thigh-high boots

Should be some chocolate on offer here

Sure

How do you know they're really straight? IM is your friend.

Sexist, aren't you?

Not Applicable

Yes

Well, okay

Only if the partner to be responds with 'Yes' to a prior prompt.

I can't wear my one and only formal gown (Nicky Ree!) without glitch pants.

Well yeah.

Still too granular.

edited for spelling

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I think you're onto something here, though I think you're a li'l too tough on the fellas. They're not the only of the 58 genders to suffer slider-itis.

True. But any restrictions on females would have to take in mesh and prim boobs as well. The subsequent collapse of that market would lead to a run on the $L, panic in the virtual streets, and a probable end to the SL economy. Do 
you
want to be responsible for that?

Mr. Wigglies should not be attachments, they should be a part of the avatar mesh. And like "our girls", they should be subject to avatar physics. Nothing would lift my mood during those five RL days of my 28 like zooming the "Wiggliness", "Gravity" and "Attention" sliders around.

This is a brilliant idea, and would result in endless entertainment for nearly everyone. In fact, I see a small cottage industry being built around it, with "wet brief" contests and jello wrestling.

I'd further like to suggest, on the basis of your suggestion, that they be officially designated "Mr. Wigglies" hereafter in all official and unofficial SL communications.

I want a marketplace category for "Thoughfully Silly" stuff.

Done!

Neither flowers nor knee length boots... propane and sandals.

I concur entirely with the sandals. Perhaps we can have a checkbox in which we choose our weekly footwear bonus.

I'm a little bemused, however, about this "propane" thing. What is it 
for
? I've heard dark rumours on occasion of primitive rituals involving the preparation of food in exposed, outdoor environments, far from the fridge and the drawer that contains the corkscrew; could it be to this that you are alluding? It's all quite incomprehensible to me, to be honest, and I won't pretend to understand how you run a microwave using propane, but if this is something you want . . .

I suppose I won't miss glitch pants in SL, but I'm keeping them in RL. Nothing sets the mood for a summer party faster than squealing "Look, I'm wearing big-girl pants!" while hiking my sundress over my head to reveal jean shorts.

Why am I never invited to parties like this????

I want the ability to ban anyone, anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

Done!

I also want the ability prevent them from logging out.

You are a very wicked person.

I'll think of more. Give me time.

I'm very patient. Usually.

ETA: I want the Cornfield back, and I want to live there.

Ah, the good old cornfield. Much as I always imagined the Catholic "Limbo": the place where all the really interesting and fun people end up!

ETA2: I missed the fine print in your post - "
I think if we work together". That's a non-starter.

It might have been better had I not left unsaid the most important part: "if we all work together 
under my direction
"

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

I want to be able to bump in to avatars on my land that are AFK and knock them over.

I think we can add an interesting elaboration upon this excellent idea by enabling land owners and renters to affix silly hats to AFK avatars. This would also be excellent for the economy, as it would create an entirely new and potentially lucrative category of apparel.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

Stop banning and suspending greifers, instead create a virtual hell sim where they are forced to hag out with each other, and give all non banned and suspended accounts, anonymous accounts with god level powers on that sim, so we can mess with them.

See Maddy's suggestion, above, about being able to prevent people from logging out,

Can we extend this to include also certain select forum posters?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Particularly if we begin with these
very
modest additions to the new virtual world:

• A 25% reduction of the maximum settings for chest, upper arms, and thighs on male avatars. Because, srsly,
    who do you think you’re fooling?

I think if we work together, we can 
realize
 a virtual ideal in Linden Lab's new virtual world that will be a ringing example for all the ages to come!

Yes

Good.

Okay. Fifteen minutes seems a bit of a stretch.

There's always the mute button, for when they start droning on about their performance and stuff.

Okay

Of course, this would mean actually having to build a garden at Ahern.

Pfft

RIC'ed, under "Insensitivity" in the new Section 7 of the Community Standards.

(*sniff*)

Lingerie and thigh-high boots

Yes, but only for those who can handle the chafing.

Should be some chocolate on offer here

As I am in a generous mood, I'll consider that as an addition.

Sure

Good.

How do you know they're really straight? IM is your friend.

In a mall? Oh. You can tell. Believe me, you can tell..

Sexist, aren't you?

ADDENDUM:

• Only males can be referred to as "sexist."

Not Applicable

Really, I think this is for the good of all. Try to be more civic minded.

Yes

Good.

Well, okay

This is still negotiable: see Dres's comment, above.

Only if the partner to be responds with 'Yes' to a prior prompt.

Agreed. I'm all about consent.

I can't wear my one and only formal gown (Nicky Ree!) without glitch pants.

We can always make exceptions for friends. :-)

Well yeah.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww. Again.

Still too granular.

Ok, how about this: Two categories, "Stuff Laskya Likes," and "Other Stuff."

edited for spelling

Ok, so basically what you would get is....

- A giant shopping mall filled with shoes, lola's and phat azzes

- lots of big hips, fish face avi's

- Women dating eachothers's male avis (believe me you won't find any real males in that world).

- Drama, drama, drama, and oh yeah...drama

Utopia? Nah! :P

Restless Graves wrote:

Ok, so basically what you would get is....

- A giant shopping mall filled with shoes, lola's and phat azzes

- lots of big hips, fish face avi's

- Women dating eachothers's male avis (believe me you won't find any real males in that world).

I for one will not be brought down by the nattering nabobs of negativity!

After all, they laughed at Edna Schrueber and Fran Smith!

Restless Graves wrote:

- Drama, drama, drama, and oh yeah...drama

I don't see how this is a bad thing, I myself have always been absolutey devoted to the theatre.

i just like to add what I think is really important and acknowledges some Universal Truths

on partnering all male avatars are forced to upgrade to Premium. And the stipend go to their partner automagically every week. And the 512m tiers as well

one Universal Truth being: What is mine is mine. and what is yours is mine also

Isnt that right Dear?!?

umm! aaah! Yes Dear

see! look !!! even he agree this is the way it is and always is. And he likes it

+

and he dont need or even want money to buy new shoes or clothes or anything . He already got shoes and a shirt and coat that he inherit off his Dad.  Which belong to his Granddad before him. And he never takes them off ever anyways

have to take the tiers off him as well. Or he just end up waste it. Like on a garage for a car he never finish building

is way better to spend the tiers on a doghouse. bc need to send him to the doghouse sometimes. When he do end up in the doghouse then he done something to deserve it. every . single . time

like wonder out loud how come I need another pair of shoes that seem to him to be the same as the pair I get last week

they not the same Dear ok. These are new 

another Universal truth

I like your list, mostly, very much. But I'd like also that the men turn seahorse for us and bear the brunt of virtual pregnancy, and raising of all prim babies/kid avatars. And they can go do it on "baby-island" off to the side somewhere, in Little Linden Nursery Homes. (LLNH). Readmittance to the main grid is warranted once the babies are capable of talking like an intelligent human.

My only point of disagreement is...do not take my glitch pants. Ever. They may be tugged, bloody,mangled and stenching, from my cold dead avatar if it ever gets permabanned, and not a moment before. A woman's preferred choice of knickers is her own business, and I like mine robust.

And @ Dillon......I love Nicky Ree.  I think still some of the nicest textures in SL for clothes.

One of my first GF's in SL used to take me shopping there all the time.

Which brings me to point 2.....

@ Laskya.....Is it OK for the Male to be at the mall if they are accompanying their Female friend?

WHAT THE COMMUNITY WANTS

Each Year the Second Life Community celebrates the birthday of the Second Life Virtual World. This years event (SL11B) was conducted from June 22 - 29, 2014. The Theme was "The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
an opportunity to look forward; to imagine where we are headed..
  Supporting that forward looking theme I created an exhibit that allowed visitors to "vote" for changes they would like to see. The subjects were chosen based on informal discussions with other Avatars as well as ideas submitted at the exhibit.
   Below are the results of that two week survey. I recorded ~500 visitors and 1,690 votes. I perceive the results as positive, the top vote getter was "I Love Second Life". The remainder of the votes say "give us more and better".

GeeJAnn Blackadder (Gee)

VOTES    ... NAME ...
152       I Love Second Life
132       Land Costs
131       NO LAG
121       Inventory Management Tools
120       More Prims per Sim
117       Inventory Backup System
93         Join More Groups
88          Improve Control of Griefers
85        Folders in Boxes
85        Improve Build Tools
81        Avatar Last Name
74         Control Content Theft
70         Avatar Appearance
54        Clothing Management
53         System AO
52         New LL Avatar Body
50         Intellectual Property Rights
47         Improve Media Tools
45        Better L$ Exchange Rate
41        Second Life 2.0
36         Land Zoning
32         More Profile Picks
15         Permanent Under Garments
Stations 23, Votes 1690.

Because it´s "next generation" and "better" it should include these features, at least:

- A "feel" implementation (like when you jump into voxel water you actually "feel" it)

- Lifebelts (Because you actually can drown in voxel water)

- Jobs for everyone

- Trade Unions

- The Trump Tower

- No child left behind

- Some sensorised full body suit for experiencing virtual kinks (Spank me!)

- Social ghettos for freeloaders (Like the Shelter, but in voxels)

- Diseases including avatar cancer

- The cure for cancer

- The Norwegian Fjords

and most important, a RL export module for Xcite bits (Size matters).

• 1 year later...

*GRINZ*

Excellent list .. and I agree with every one of them. But we do have to add one more:

• Auto-correct on Female Avatar chat (nearby and IM) that changes the word "no" to "yes". (Because we all know that's what you really mean anyway.)

So with that one single addition, yup ... you've nailed the perfect virtual utopia.

/me pops his earplugs back in and resumes smiling in a most agreeable fashion ...

Dashti Crumb wrote:

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just a massive Feminist. but if it's the Latter, please Stfu and stay on tumblr where you belong.

Your first (and hopefully last) post on the SL Forums is a rude reply to a thread that's been dead for 16 months? Thanks anyway - I enjoyed this thread when it was new and I enjoyed reading it again.

You've revealed all that I want to know about you in just two sentences. Accordingly I've banned you from all land I control. It's highly unlikely you'll ever be affected, but it makes me happy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.