Ripped off on Marketplace

BenWoods

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you're having a probelm with a seller or mp purchase Linden Labs won't help. You can't really report a seller and if you did nothing will ever happen to them. The only time Lindne Labs gets involved is when they get hit with a lawsuit.

LL operates on a "buyer beware" policy. They do not get into resident to resident trouble of this kind and expect you to be careful with your money and who you buy from.

We here can't give much advice, as we don't know whats wrong. From all the years of being here, I know pretty well that "ripped off" can mean anything between an empty box or simply not understanding how a product works.

If you didn't receive your merchandise you can fill a support ticket and ask fro redelivery.  LL is responsible for deliver, not the seller.  Nevertheless you can also contact the seller inworld and politely explain what happened.  Most sellers will be very happy to make things right for you.

If your problem isn't a delivery issue, LL will not get involved.  You can leave a review of the product or flag it if it fits one of the criteria you have to choose from when you flag it.  But again, before doing either try contacting the seller first.  Most of the time they will be able to work with you to solve your issue as most sellers want happy customers.

If the seller doesn't help or is involved in some sort of fraudulent activity you can report them through the flag item option on the marketplace page for the item. You can report for: item not as advertised, should be listed as moderate\adult, spam or disallowed listing practices, non-item listing, infringes my Intellectual Property rights.

"not as advertised, or non-item listing" might be appropriate if you have been defrauded.

I would raise a ticket too, just incase they can return your money for being defrauded if they decide to seize the sellers account, but I wouldn't bank on receiving anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation myself at the moment.

I purchased a legit looking avatar from the SL Marketplace (here), and basically all I got was a skin titled "Piel nueva" (which was just the default one if you create a new skin in your inventory.

Tried all the contacting of seller by IMs and notecards, and eventually LL support had the "nothing we can do" attitude, and that I should file a abuse report (did so on 10 Jan). And I am still waiting for a response (which today I re-opened the case via support).

The listing was flagged as "not as described" on 1 January 2015, and it is still up...

As far as I am concerned, it is LL's responsbility as they run the marketplace to police sellers, and should customers be frauded, assist. And the fact that they have the laid back attitude, basically encourages more of this behaviour.

I agree that LL needs to be vigilant about the empty box and and other scammers.  But:

Imagine the hundreds, if not thousands, of disputes of this kind that occur in SL. Imagine the time to investigate every single one of them, even the 1L ones.

How many LL staff would need to be added to handle all these cases? How would LL come up with the extra money to pay for them? 

• 4 years later...

(The text below was in response to a user who decided to "Name and Shame" in this thread, the post has since been removed)

And?

1. There's a handy "policy" section on each Marketplace store frontpage - check it before buying anything from anyone.
  2. Not all stores offer a Demo on the Marketplace for every item they sell - not ideal but it is what it is. Likely the Demo was at their in world location.
  3. Naming and shaming isn't allowed in the official Linden Lab forum - no matter what your feelings are.
Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

To be fair to Solar, they were responding to a necropost that has since been removed by a moderator (probably because it was a complaint that 'named and shamed' a creator and their store).

This is why I almost always quote the random complainers here - and just redact whatever part they said that they shouldn't have.  That way, at least anyone else coming along later, after a post might have been removed, still has an idea of what was going on.  The post by Solar truly seemed out of left field, which is definitely unusual.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, greek Wingtips said:

Ben if you believe you were wrongly duped you have the option about posted a negative post on the item in question.I always look at the comment first before I buy

... if you'r duped you mainly have the possibility to report the item, so LL can take it down.
comments aren't read by many, some users will see it but the item will be still there for ages, and many might still step into the scam.

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is why I almost always quote the random complainers here - and just redact whatever part they said that they shouldn't have.  That way, at least anyone else coming along later, after a post might have been removed, still has an idea of what was going on.  The post by Solar truly seemed out of left field, which is definitely unusual.

I've had hit and miss responses concerning quoting posts that are later reported ... Sometimes you actually can get in trouble for the quote, sometimes (more often) both the original post and your response quoting it are removed and rarely .... just the original is removed.

Not worth it to me to quote a questionable/actionable post.

Edited by Solar Legion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.