Question regarding Breaking the Fourth Wall thread

Aislin Ceawlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If it is a reasonable question that I would rather not answer, I just say that I would rather not answer. For example:

Other person: Where do you live in RL?

Me: In the US.

Other person: Where in the US?

Me: I would rather not say.

But if it is an unreasonable question, I can get snarky, or simply ignore it. Depends upon my mood.

I guess it really depends on the situation. Ex; standing at a jazz club, and getting the IM "Hi, where are you from? How old are you?" right off the bat. (Ughhh) as opposed to a great conversation beforehand. I'm not quite as likely to feel snarky in the second situation, and heck, I might even give a little on my reservations if I feel comfortable enough. I wouldn't go so far as to give someone my address, but I'm sure you get what I mean. 

Marybeth Cooperstone wrote:

If it is a reasonable question that I would rather not answer, I just say that I would rather not answer. For example:

Other person: Where do you live in RL?

Me: In the US.

Other person: Where in the US?

Me: I would rather not say.

But if it is an unreasonable question, I can get snarky, or simply ignore it. Depends upon my mood.

A question is fine,a line of questioning  right out of the gate that becomes so routine that i have a routine for answering it..That is what i was getting at..

They are searching for something rather than  IMing because we have something in common  at the moment..

If we already had a conversation going that maybe started from something in common and led into those,i would probably answer way different..

But if it's ,Hi how are you?Where you from?It's routine if it keeps on going that direction..

I'll be routine right back to them..

The sheer amount of times I've been asked RL questions by strangers has led me to become a bit jaded and probably rude in my response.

Once the second or third RL question has been asked, I ask the person if they know why I have not asked THEM any questions about their RL.  They don't normally know why so I tell them.

"It's because I'm not interested."

• 3 weeks later...

I generally keep a note in the RL section of my Profile stating plainly ( I re-word it from time to time ) that "I have a Real Life, I come here to escape from it and will not be discussing it here".

Now, I have been in a committed SL relationship for about nine years, so when that makes people Assume that I have "reasons" for not sharing ( married in RL or different gender in RL ) doesn't impact me :-)

When people IM me and get nosy, I sometimes politely point out that I have had bad experiences when people misused my RL information....but mainly I just change the subject :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.