Prolonged Griefer attack at Mosh on Zindra

Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I couldn't AR this horrid attack because I can't get the name of the perpetrator.

It conisists of the usual thing - offensive overtly racist spam messages in chat accompanied by a storm of images, some of too horrific to look at.   The location is the mall near the bridge at Mosh, on Zindra.

The attack has been going on for a few hours and I posted about it on here because, as I said,  I couldn't get the name of the perpetrator.  The spam was coming from lots of different codenames.

As well as violating TOS the perpetrator is probably breaking the RL law, depending on where they live.

Just hoping that someone from LL gets to hear bout this so they can take action.

Conifer Dada wrote:

I couldn't AR this horrid attack because I can't get the name of the perpetrator. 

Hi Conifer! You still can AR without knowing the name of the griefer:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Filing-an-abuse-report/ta-p/700065#Section_.2

32px-KBtip.png Tip: If you don't know the offender's name, choose "Governor Linden" as a placeholder and explain in the report details.

Conifer Dada wrote:

The attack has been going on for a few hours and I posted about it on here because, as I said,  I couldn't get the name of the perpetrator. 

Just hoping that someone from LL gets to hear bout this so they can take action.

Hi Conifer. What exactly did you hope to achieve in posting this sensationalist journalism here in GD? I would have thought this is the last place you would expect to find a Linden - except for Xiola, and I wouldn't expect a PR assistant to be much good in a firefight.

Or do you know something we don't?

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Conifer Dada wrote:

The attack has been going on for a few hours and I posted about it on here because, as I said,  I couldn't get the name of the perpetrator. 

Hi Conifer. What exactly did you hope to achieve in posting this sensationalist journalism here in GD? I would have thought this is the last place you would expect to find a Linden - except for Xiola, and I wouldn't expect a PR assistant to be much good in a firefight.

Hi Lazarus - I'll hand the question back to you - what exactly did you hope to achieve with your response to my query? 
:smileyvery-happy:

PS I could write a you full account of my reasons for attempting to report a griefer by unorthodox methods but it might use up several notecards.

Conifer Dada wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Conifer Dada wrote:

Hi Lazarus - I'll hand the question back to you - what exactly did you hope to achieve with your response to my query? 
:smileyvery-happy:

PS I could write a you full account of my reasons for attempting to report a griefer by unorthodox methods but it might use up several notecards.

He hoped that you'd reply, especially hoping you'd become overly dramatic.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

He hoped that you'd reply, especially hoping you'd become overly dramatic.

Nah, Conifer is too sensible and stable to fall apart under questioning.

My enquiry was part of my continuing campaign (have you noticed how many threads are being moved from GD by mods to more appropriate places) to make GD a place where issues are discussed. In this context, I WAS interested in Conifer's rationale for bringing news of a griefer attack to GD (I didn't request that a mod move it somewhere else) and she has implicitly responded to my query, by identifying that LL's abuse reporting mechanisms are inadequate in terms of protocol or efficacy, and she has indicated a degree of concern that it requires the intercession of Lindens, rather than an onwatch inworld moderator - hell, they have an early shift of forum mods to cope with the far eastern spam attacks  - or provision of anti-griefing tools to residents, even in a limited fashion.

OK, I had to read between the lines of the virtual notecards that Conifer has pointlessly threatened to send, but don't you think that this would have been a good step-off point to discuss whether LL was competent in their reaction to griefing attacks, particularly since terrorists have already identified those responsible for cartoons as being valid targets.

My life in SL got a lot easier after I stopped hanging around infoHubs and Linden decorative spaces.

Mosh is the 'historic' Zindra sim - I think this is th spot we all toured back when the continent was empty. Day one of that was people standing there arguing over whether or not child avatars should be allowed on Zindra, and after that died down - nobody's really ever gone back to that spot for anything.

It has a small mall where you can buy a tiny plot of land for an absurd price and be next to assorted vacant lots...

Otherwise... its just the sort of spot a griefer might have on their outdated list as a hotspot for newbs...

While we should AR them and chase out the griefers... we also need to realize that LLs seems to "half tolerate them" if they contain themselves to spots like this...

And as long as they stay distracted in the throwaway sims, they're less likely to bother real areas of activity.

The outcome is that the griefing objects have been removed and Mosh is tranquil once again.  I managed to identify the sources of the horrible images and AR'd the owner.  I know that at least one other person also AR'd them, probably others did too.

Given that the actual griefer is unlikely to have returned to remove their own objects, I can only assume it was someone from LL who did so.

:) By the way, if this thread doesn't count as 'general discussion', I'd like to know what does :) :)

Conifer Dada wrote:

The outcome is that the griefing objects have been removed and Mosh is tranquil once again.  I managed to identify the sources of the horrible images and AR'd the owner.  I know that at least one other person also AR'd them, probably others did too.

Oh that's a better outcome than I expected. I guess my assumption that Mosh is "lumped in" with the infohubs and 'welcome centers' as "throwaway sims" was wrong - which is a good thing.

I simply cannot believe that having been in SL as long as you have you are surprised by this griefer attack?

Therefore, I am wondering why on earth you have chosen to  post it?  Leave the policing of SL to those paid to do so

I am sure, though, they would be delighted if you could do so whilst they sip their lattes, but I suspect you lack the tools.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

I simply cannot believe that having been in SL as long as you have you are surprised by this griefer attack?

Therefore, I am wondering why on earth you have chosen to  post it?  Leave the policing of SL to those paid to do so

I am sure, though, they would be delighted if you could do so whilst they sip their lattes, but I suspect you lack the tools.

I suppose, Hoshi, you would similarly criticise the journalists reporting the most recent beheadings by Islamic State terrorists? I mean, such recurrent atrocities are hardly surprising, and perhaps the West's intelligence forces, sitting in comfy armchairs deep in their various bunker locations, would be more than happy to allow CNN operatives to eliminate the guerillas if their videocams could be equipped with concealed delayed-action death-ray augmentations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.