Problem with SLurl's and Firestorm

Myrdinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. Every time i install Firestorm, all the SLurls and links in Internet Explorer 8 open with it and no with Viewer 3. It is really annoyable. I want them to open with Viewer 3. Btw, i have no this problem with Mozilla. I tried to find something under Tools --> Internet Options --> Programs and other tabs also without luck. Help?

This is more an operating system problem than a viewer problem, though it part it stems from how LL wrote the installer code that the TPV's base their own installers on.

Whatever Viewer you installed most recently will try to co-opt the SLurl function and become the Viewer that opens by default when a link for a SLurl is clicked on. It doesn't matter which Viewer it is. Install the Beta SL Viewer, and that is what the SLurl's open with. Then install Imprudence, and that will be the blessed application.

The assumption in the installer code is that you're installing the latest, greatest version of the Viewer, so of course you want all SLurl's to open with that viewer, and not some older release. So it tells the OS that the newly installed app is the one that opens links of type SLurl. Not just in IE, but anywhere that a URL can exist.

You get similar behavior with most applications, but most of them give you an option of making that app the default for the document types that they can open. For example, if you install OpenOffice, it can, but will not automatically, take over the "double click to open" default behavior for all your Microsoft Office documents. Install Firefox after IE, and it will offer to be the app that opens any hyperlinks in documents or saved as desktop shortcuts.

The fix in your case is to re-install the current LL Viewer that you want to have as the default viewer for opening SLurl's. It will then co-opt control of those links, as the most recently installed Viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.