Playing DVD's in second life.

MistyWraine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been wondering how to go about playing DVD's in second life, now i dont mean second life DVD's i mean playing your own DVDs through a computer and having them go through a second life tv so that others can watch the movie with you, because alot of the movies i wanna watch with people are not in world but i own them on dvd.

I had someone look into this and find out how to do it.  But when they found out before they were able to tell me how they abruptly left second life.  They told me they had found a stream and program to play dvds through the stream, which is then linked to my tv, but i would have to log into sl to watch it with people on another computer which is fine with me. 

I was wondering if anyone could break this process down for me so i can watch some movies with some friends across the country.

There are a lot of movie rental places in SL. But I don't think what they are doing is legal. Despite the FBI warnings they take a movie, stream it for other people to watch, and the biggest irony? These SL movie rental places will shut you down if you do the same. You can only use their streams at your SL home with one or two friends. 

Essentially they are Netflix without having to pay the pesky movie licensing fees to the networks or movie studios.

You can put your movies on a stream somewhere and stream them onto a parcel in SL, or you can rent from one of these dubious movie rental places in SL.

Disclaimer: Generally speaking, it's illegal in most jurisdictions to do so.

With that out of the way, there's a few ways to do it. The exact details depend on your operating system, whether or not the DVD is encrypted and what viewer(s) you and your friends use. Because a lot of the detail steps pretty much involve breaking the law just about anywhere I'll not post them here.

#1: Stream live video

This requires a video transcoder that's capable of ripping the video off the DVD and encoding it into a streaming capable format. VideoLAN Client can do this, for example. The drawback? You need one hell of a broadband connection if you intend to serve it to a few friends. For halfway decent video you do need about 1MBit per person watching. HQ video will require around 3MBit. Depending on the video you can get away with 500kBit per person for a lower quality stream.

#2: Encode and host elsewhere

For most people that's the only real option. You need one of the many programs that can decrypt the DVD video and encode it in a format suitable for displaying on a web page. Then all you need is upload the vid to a hosting service and play it from there. It's easiest to do with Media on a Prim, marginally harder with old v1 media. The reason to host elsewhere is bandwidth and most people quite simply don't have a suitable server at home.

Well im not trying to sell movies or anything i just want to watch one of the movies ive already purchased in real life with a few friends online, its not different in my opinion than buying a dvd and watching it with some friends at home.  Besiedes i have alot of foreign and rare movies you wont find elsewhere.  

I have verizon fios which is pretty fast it seems.  All i want to do is pop a dvd into my desktop play it have it play through my tv at SL and watch it in sl with my friends on my laptop.   How can i go about doing that?

MistyWraine wrote:

Well im not trying to sell movies or anything i just want to watch one of the movies ive already purchased in real life with a few friends online, its not different in my opinion than buying a dvd and watching it with some friends at home.  Besiedes i have alot of foreign and rare movies you wont find elsewhere.  

I have verizon fios which is pretty fast it seems.  All i want to do is pop a dvd into my desktop play it have it play through my tv at SL and watch it in sl with my friends on my laptop.   How can i go about doing that?

basically  the only way you would all be able to watch a movie at the same time would be through shared media ..it would have to be streamed ..i don't believe you could stream from your dvdrom unless you had some sort of live feed to a server or relay server url that you could all log to from media on a prim..

still you may want to read the disclaimer on the cd to see if you need permission to do the upload to the net..

it may seem like you are just sitting in your home in sl..but really it's uploading it to the net and not the same as sitting in your livingroom showing it to friends..

just be safe and check the tos or eula for the dvd or any laws that may pop up anywhere on the cover  or slip or on the dvd itself...

not that your friends would turn you in..hehehehe

just saying you have to be  kind of careful with these things on the net is all..better safe than sorry hehehe

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of people stream movies and tv shows over l(that stream which is live) as well, I think no matter what securities are in place people will find a way around it, just because movies are a social experience, they're just so much better when watched with others One of the first things I did when I first came to SL was my sister and I discovered a christmas sim that had a theater playing Santa Claus conquers the Martians, so we sat in the first row and completely re-enacted the MST3K riffs

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

Plenty of people stream movies and tv shows over l(that stream which is live) as well, I think no matter what securities are in place people will find a way around it, just because movies are a social experience, they're just so much better when watched with others One of the first things I did when I first came to SL was my sister and I discovered a christmas sim that had a theater playing Santa Claus conquers the Martians, so we sat in the first row and completely re-enacted the MST3K riffs

A little off topic, but if you are an MST3K fan, are you aware there is an MST3K theater in SL?  It is at  This Island Earth (200,168,23).  They have a blog at http://sl-mst3k.blogspot.com/  Complete with recreation of the Satellite of Love.   

MistyWraine wrote:

I have been wondering how to go about playing DVD's in second life, now i dont mean second life DVD's i mean playing your own DVDs through a computer and having them go through a second life tv so that others can watch the movie with you, because alot of the movies i wanna watch with people are not in world but i own them on dvd.

I had someone look into this and find out how to do it.  But when they found out before they were able to tell me how they abruptly left second life.  They told me they had found a stream and program to play dvds through the stream, which is then linked to my tv, but i would have to log into sl to watch it with people on another computer which is fine with me. 

I was wondering if anyone could break this process down for me so i can watch some movies with some friends across the country.

nice I'll check it out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.