Person online but profile says off?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When taking to strangers you check their profile and it says offline while they are standing right infront  having a live conversation with you, after a certain period even a dumb blond will know that when a person is offline they might still be online, where is the privacy? now if you message them and they ignore you thats another thing.

bebejee wrote:

When taking to strangers you check their profile and it says offline while they are standing right infront  having a live conversation with you, after a certain period even a dumb blond will know that when a person is offline they might still be online, where is the privacy? now if you message them and they ignore you thats another thing.

DUH 

The privacy is that if someone that is not on your friends list looks at your profile when they aren't near you, they don't know if your online or not so they have to take extra steps to find out either by joining a group you are in or using a script.  That discourages some people who just surf profiles in search or random people that you haven't friended from IMing you.  It also is a good indication that they don't want people who are not friends IMing them unless they told you it was ok to do.  If they do IM you, that doesn't mean you have to reply if you are busy or don't want to talk to them.

BTW, Dumb people come in all hair colors.

bebejee wrote:

I just take a chance and message them to find out if they are on or not.

Some people do this because they want some time to themselves or whoever they're with and not to be bothered by random IMs asking if they're online or what they're up to and such...

:)

Its a lot less "awkward" than getting that IM, and then not respdoning to it. And its better for the other person, who now is less likely to IM you and wonder why you don't respond - because now they either think you're not there waiting for them to IM you, or you're busy, or something.

As for turning on 'away' or 'busy' - these functions can mess up your ability to receive notices and even items you purchase... They are meant more for 'totally away from SL and want SL to trash anything I'm sent because I don't care" or "so busy in SL that I want it to trash all the things sent to me because even if they were want I want later, I am focused on the now like a hungry wolf and don't believe the future exists."

auto respond.JPG

auto respond 2.JPG

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

bebejee wrote:

I just take a chance and message them to find out if they are on or not.

Some people do this because they want some time to themselves or whoever they're with and not to be bothered by random IMs asking if they're online or what they're up to and such...

:)

Its a lot less "awkward" than getting that IM, and then not respdoning to it. And its better for the other person, who now is less likely to IM you and wonder why you don't respond - because now they either think you're not there waiting for them to IM you, or you're busy, or something.

As for turning on 'away' or 'busy' - these functions can mess up your ability to receive notices and even items you purchase... They are meant more for 'totally away from SL and want SL to trash anything I'm sent because I don't care" or "so busy in SL that I want it to trash all the things sent to me because even if they were want I want later, I am focused on the now like a hungry wolf and don't believe the future exists."

I don't know if other TPV's have it but this is one of the beautiful things Firestorm has:  Two auto respond modes PLUS a refuse TP requests that don't mess up inventory offers and send them to trash.

Additionally a response mode for muted Ava's and when (if) I set away.

All pure gold that you'd think LL would have done years ago considering how often the issues with "Busy Mode" were raised.

Maybe one day Linden Lab will catch up.

I don't see how it's a creepy thing to do, I set mine so only friends can see I'm online to avoid creeps. There are people who won't take  ''leave me alone'' Muting just sends them to alts to try again. Avoiding the places they know you go helps, but they just check to see if you're online to message you anyways. Hiding your online status helps a little more, along with hiding any groups you may be in to make it harder for them to find you that way. I guess I just don't see how trying to discourage a stalker is creepy lol. 

Pretty much if I want you to know if I'm online or not I'll have you in my contacts list. There are times when I'm trying to concentrate on building or such that I hide from eveyone including my contact list so I'm not interrupted. I consider it less rude than sitting their ignoring IM's. If you don't like it, don't interact with me, but you aren't entitled to know my status unless I choose to show it. Besides if you're in any of the same groups you can check that way as well which is a loophole I wish LL would close.

You guys forgot this scenerio... You have an ex to whom is following you. If they are not on your friend's lists or in groups you're in, they have a harder time harrassing you. Sure, there's land banning and such, but it's an added security of knowing that this person doesn't know if I'm online or not. If I wanted them to know, they'd be on my list. SL isn't the first to do this with profiles. I can remember yahoo doing this in the 90's. It's no different than showing as offline on Skype so my aunt can't IM me but I can still skype call my friend.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.