People who don't look good using RL profile pictures?

Aphrenity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You know… after my last blockbuster thread I thought it was about time I grace these forums with more of my Second Life observances. This thread to be about “People Who DON’T look good posting RL profile pictures”.

Now, I’m quite sure just saying that already has some of you ruffling your feathers and clenching your teeth ready to fire away at your keyboards and probably because that statement applies directly to you. Now we all know secondlife is a game of bs and fantasy. People come from all over (mostly OLD people) to pretend to be something they’re not and in some cases never were or will be again (young, hot, and attractive).

It’s fine no one really cares untillllll you go breaking the 4th wall and post up a picture of real you in your profile. Now, I’m just going to say you know sometimes you click around see someone that looks nice. Check out their profile and then go to RL and you see their picture and you cringe. They look like extra’s from the walking dead (the zombies that is). Sometimes they take it up a notch even trying to show cleavage, making a kissy face, using the myspace angle so you don’t see how fat they are even though they clearly have 3 chins (you’re not fooling anyone so STOP!)

Now on the contrary to that I’ve had plenty of actually attractive women send me their pictures and it’s all fine and dandy but when you get a squirmer (someone that makes you squirm in your seat when you look at them) than you know what I mean.

Now I know confidence is good and all but some of you know better to show anyone your picture and I wish those of you that don’t did. After viewing your crime scene photo I never really see you the same again and neither does anyone else in SL for that matter. A poor friend of mine sent me a picture of her and I thought it was a corpse. I sincerely did. I had to ask her what was this and she said “it’s me”. So I said “oh… ok”. It reminded me of this scene from one of my favorite shows 

Now, I know some of you are saying to yourself this guy is pretty mean well actually what’s pretty mean is showing people what you look like when you know you’re not cute. There’s a reason why people on TV and Magazines look good and it’s because they are pleasing to the eye. You’re 40yo mug making kissy faces is not. You’re DDD breast when you weigh 1 metric ton is not pleasing to look at either. You have a right to be upset and I have a right to be upset because your real world profile picture should come with a warning and it doesn’t.

This is the part where some of you start saying “well you’re probably nothing to look at either” well if that’s the case I’m smart enough not to show people that I’m nothing to look at so they don’t hurt their eyes. I’m sure some of you are also saying “so you think people shouldn’t used their RL picture because they don’t look good” YES I’m saying just that. I don’t want to see you. Now you can be unattractive that’s fine…just don’t pretend to be attractive in your picture. You can smile just don’t pretend you look better than you really do and you know what I mean. Those plenty of fish SL profiles with you dropping demands what you want and how great you are and then your profile pic looks like you should be in a Goonies remake. Just stop it! Just stop it! Just stop!

Now I’m sure some desperate guy out there is more than happy to put his arms around you and a lot of you are trying to find that guy since you use SL as a dating service (see my previous thread for more details on this). The truth is you’re old, out of shape, and should know better than to act like a teen on facebook. I don’t want to see Carol the retired librarian with 3 kids out of college making kissy faces with her Iphone. Or Barbara the 300lb high blood pressure and borderline diabetic trying to pretend her fat is cute it’s not it’s unhealthy (and so is viewing your cleavage pics).

So there I said it for those of you already thinking it but too afraid to say it. I’ll take that hit.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others may get indignant with the OP but I get what he says. If he got you all upset thenmaybe it hit close to home. I catch flak for the RL pic I have of myself on my profile. Early 20, s though I look a few years younger. Many is the time while out clubbing I get an im from some middleaged aged daft cow resentful for the fact that I have a pic posted.95% of the time THEY don, t have one on theirs (go figure) yet they show their resentment . Its kind of obvious the type, the BARBIE avis in thigh high boots, halter tops and cut offs. WELL huns I could care less, I eat right, exercise and  take care of myself . Not everyone on here is old, just as many who like myself are youngerso don, t be butthurt over men OR women that choose to care for their health and appearance. Just as it was suggested not to look at the pic he finds a Turnoff if someones pic makes you rentful then keep your anger to yourself because no one is going to remove their pic because someone feels inadequate .

next step we also should mention our income, savings and prove it with tax forms and salary slips? in all contacts inworld i see this stupid behaviour more and more too, voice?..age..? .where?...phone?... facebook?...please get a life this is my second one, don't need all that. All you need to know when we meet is my name and looks inworld, you like it?...start a talk, if not, move on

JamieThunder wrote:

Others may get indignant with the OP but I get what he says. If he got you all upset thenmaybe it hit close to home. I catch flak for the RL pic I have of myself on my profile. Early 20, s though I look a few years younger. Many is the time while out clubbing I get an im from some middleaged aged daft cow resentful for the fact that I have a pic posted.95% of the time THEY don, t have one on theirs (go figure) yet they show their resentment . Its kind of obvious the type, the BARBIE avis in thigh high boots, halter tops and cut offs. WELL huns I could care less, I eat right, exercise and  take care of myself . Not everyone on here is old, just as many who like myself are youngerso don, t be butthurt over men OR women that choose to care for their health and appearance. Just as it was suggested not to look at the pic he finds a Turnoff if someones pic makes you rentful then keep your anger to yourself because no one is going to remove their pic because someone feels inadequate .

Oh, my heart bleeds over the terrible treatment which the young and the fit receive from the general public.  Why can't they ever be exhibited the same sort of respect and admiration with which society showers middle-aged, daft cows?

...Dres *cries*

I suppose it depends why you are in SL, I'm here to be myself with anyone I meet and neither feel too ugly nor too old to withhold my rl pic.

Perhaps that's because, at the massively ancient (mature) age of 49, I no longer make the kind of shallow judgements I did when in my late teens and twenties, a time when I also thought anyone over 35 was old.

I'm more interested in personalities, intelligence, humour and even a bit of mature discussion: the kind of mature discussion that can be had with someone who has grown up enough to realise that looks aren't everything.

Of course, being massively old my primary motivation for being in SL is not continual puppy dog enthusiasm that I may just have met an avi controlled by a Penthouse Pet, so I don't feel a need to hurriedly click to see what the rl looks like.  That's because I'm interested in the person, rather than whether they are ultimately worth my time because of their looks.

Experience has taught me that a lot of elderly and ugly folks, some even older than 40 (!!!) can be quite interesting.  I don't know why that is?  I mean when I was 20-odd I presumed everyone older was really boring, and clearly had let themselves go a bit.  I certainly didn't want to waste my time talking to them.

Now however, I have clearly let my standards slip, or perhaps I've grown up.

Aphrenity wrote:

[
...] .... This is the part where some of you start saying “well you’re probably nothing to look at either” well if that’s the case I’m smart enough not to show people that I’m nothing to look at so they don’t hurt their eyes. ...[...]

Although I've decided, never to enter into a relationship here, I have to admit that your thoughts and words have enchanted so much, not only here, but also your previous posts.

You seem not only to be a misogynist, you are also a misanthrope. You're against "live and let live", against women

- I never encountered anyone who is so superficial and ignorant. -

- Absolutely seductive. -

All your words seem so heartwarming and wonderful, that I can't imagine anymore to spend my time in sl somehow more beautiful, more comfortable, more interesting or wonderful than at your side.

Moreover  the consistency of your thoughts. - Simply gorgeous. -

I fell in love with you, because you're such a good and lovely person.

I do not care what you look like in rl or how old you are..

Will you marry me?

Let's do it immediately.

(And to all the other women here, who are also seduced by Aphrenity's personality... -I asked first. Please wait in the line.)

I can ask LisaSpring to lend me the wedding dress, if she finds someone who is willing fulfilling her wishes.

Magnus Brody wrote:

Experience has taught me that a lot of elderly and ugly folks, some even older than 40 (!!!) can be quite interesting.

Way back when I was 28 (16 years ago), I flirted online with a gentleman who set the bar for interesting pretty damned high. He was witty, observant, full of funny stories, and let me talk on and on and on.

I knew he was older than me, older than anyone else in the chat room. But, I never asked. When the news of his death reached us, I discovered he was 93.

Magnus Brody also wrote:

At the massively ancient (mature) age of 49, I no longer make the kind of shallow judgements I did when in my late teens and twenties.

Well, Mr. Brody, I'm gonna call hypocrisy on ya. Stating that 49 is massively ancient seems shallow to me. I think you got a li'l growing up to do, you whippersnapper.

The most beautiful part of the human anatomy is the mind. It's got work to do to make up for the growing deficiencies of an aging body, but it's the only part that can do that, and when it does, it's fantastic.

Ardvinna wrote:

You seem not only to be a misogynist, you are also a misanthrope. You're against "live and let live", against women

- I never encountered anyone who is so superficial and ignorant. -

I understand that Pep's lawyers will soon be getting in touch for this derogatory libel on his reputation.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Magnus Brody wrote:

Experience has taught me that a lot of elderly and ugly folks, some even older than 40 (!!!) can be quite interesting.

Way back when I was 28 (16 years ago), I flirted online with a gentleman who set the bar for interesting pretty damned high. He was witty, observant, full of funny stories, and let me talk on and on and on.

I knew he was older than me, older than anyone else in the chat room. But, I never asked. When the news of his death reached us, I discovered he was 93.

Magnus Brody also wrote:

At the massively ancient (mature) age of 49, I no longer make the kind of shallow judgements I did when in my late teens and twenties.

Well, Mr. Brody, I'm gonna call hypocrisy on ya. Stating that 49 is massively ancient seems shallow to me. I think you got a li'l growing up to do, you whippersnapper.

The most beautiful part of the human anatomy is the mind. It's got work to do to make up for the growing deficiencies of an aging body, but it's the only part that can do that, and when it does, it's fantastic.

Women get older; men get better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.