Official Snapshot Contest Ideas

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Community Manager

Hi everyone!

The last few years, as you  may know, we have run a snapshot contest on the theme of New Year/ New You at the end of the year for people to show off their avatars updated looks and for a chance to win some lindens.

We're thinking of doing the same again this year but also wanted to see if anyone had some other ideas for a theme that would be appropriate to the time of year and season - we may decide to switch things up some and adopt a new theme for this contest.

Please share your thoughts in this thread!

Thanks and best regards,

Old to New?

Two image set - one of your old last year or older self. And one to be an imagining of a new year makeover.

- But shoot theme based around no use of advanced lighting/materials in the old, and require advanced lighting/materials in the new - as this was the feature that went 'SL mainstream' in 2014.

Or... a holiday images with something very particular to SL culture. Like yourself as the gift in a gatcha, or holiday elves on camping chairs, 'MM slap boards instead of christmas stockings', etc...

A nativity set featuring popular avatar types as the cast... The three furries visit the child avatar manger, with 'Tiny's for the animals in the barn, and etc... :)

How about a competition to find the best image of the two-faced Roman god Janus, after whom January is named?

No Lindens should enter of course, as they would have a head start.

And anybody who submitted an avatar with a massive posterior with a supposed first name of Hugh would be disqualified for obscenity.

Linden Lab wrote:

Hi everyone!

The last few years, as you  may know, we have run a snapshot contest on the theme of New Year/ New You at the end of the year for people to show off their avatars updated looks and for a chance to win some lindens.

We're thinking of doing the same again this year but also wanted to see if anyone had some other ideas for a theme that would be appropriate to the time of year and season - we may decide to switch things up some and adopt a new theme for this contest.

Please share your thoughts in this thread!

Thanks and best regards,

Is it compulsory - to have a different looking avatar from year to the next I mean?

Just like in real life, I am surely not in the minority to find a skin/shape/set of ears I like and pretty much stick with them?

The snapshot competitions are fun - to a point. But I personally find a vanity-themed one too alienating.  Best theme for me might be New Years Resolutions, or What I Did Over the Holidays, or New Year, What New Year (Worst Hangover photos) - although the latter can be ruled out, because LL shouldn't be promoting drunkenness :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

What about a contest for people to emulate their heroes, or a point in history? 

Just ideas, to get you off the vanity rhubarb theme.

Well, we got the invitation to the snapshot contest now, with a looooong list of rules. Let me grab two lines from them.

This one:

1. DURATION. The Contest begins at 10:00am PST December 22, 2014 (the “Start Date”)
              and ends on 10:00am PST January 10, 2015 (the “Deadline”).

and this one in paragraph 2. ENTRY:

Log on to your Second Life® account between 10:00am PDT October 15, 2014
          and 5:00pm November 8th PST, 2014.
          Take a snapshot of a Fa-BOO-lous Theme.

Now ... as I am incapable of time travelling, may I suggest you LL guys rething the dates given in paragraph 2?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.