Official Resources?

Void Singer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a thought to compile a list of official resources, available from Linden Lab, as a go to source for official information regarding problems one might encounter in SL.

The list I'm attempting to compile is of only the LL direct sources, since most of the informal sources (such as these forums) are fairly well known and often suggested, but not everyone is aware of all the official sources...

so to jump start this list, I'm going to throw out some categories, and populate a few of them, and would welcome any suggestions for Official LL Resources only (which I'll do my best to update into this post)

UPDATED 2012 Sept 15, 10:35 PM (PST)

Information on current events and changes within SL:

Basic Information and Common questions:

• @SupportLinden (A twitter account that redirects users to the likeliest resource)
  • Knowledge Base (a collection of preformated questions and answers on a variety of topics)
  • Video Tutorials (collection of video detailing how to do many basic tasks and showcasing SL content)
  • SL Wiki (only some information found here is official)

Basic support:

• Quickstart Guide (something to get you started if you are new to SL)
  • Billing issues (can't save your payment info? got overcharged by LL, go here)
  • File a Trouble ticket (AKA Support Portal, for problems that you are personally experiencing, should be logged in if possible)
    • Live Chat Support (must be premium member and logged into the website, limited hours)
  • Jira(find out about known bugs, possible workaraounds, and keep updated on the ones important to you)

Active Focus Groups:

• Server Betauser group (meets on beta grid [aditi] focuses on upcoming features and fixes)
  • Server/Sim user group (meets twice weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on current server limitations and workaraounds)
  • Scripting user group (meets weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on scripting bugs and new features)
  • Content Creation user group (meets week on main grid [agni] focuses largely on mesh)
  • Community Tools user group (focuses on webside resources for SL) - Closed

I only gathered some of the obvious links, it could used fleshed out with contact phone numbers, emails and other direct LL supported resources (one in which an employee of linden lab either directly answers, or can point you to the correct resource)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, I've added the newly mentioned resources, (I included the content archives under the wiki, since that group is no longer active to my knowledge, if I'm wrong, let me know and I'll add it to the focus groups)

keep em coming, I could probably spend days or weeks trying to find most of the active support channels, and still miss some. I'm hoping it'll go much faster and be much more complete with the help of the people we have here.

There is a new support account on twitter.  It sounded like they would prefer that support questions/issues be sent to that account.

@supportLinden

sort of can't believe that you would encourage everyone to send their petty issues to CEO acct and feed.  But I see that he recently handled one there.  boy is that going to open up a can of worms. 

Oh well - live and learn

There is a new support account on twitter.  It sounded like they would prefer that support questions/issues be sent to that account.

@supportLinden

sort of can't believe that you would encourage everyone to send their petty issues to CEO acct and feed.  But I see that he recently handled one there.  boy is that going to open up a can of worms. 

Oh well - live and learn

actually - I might need to adjust that statement a bit - I'll have to go back to twitter and check again - did not really mean that they indicated they "prefer" you contact the twitter support - it's just there to contact on twitter - but I watched a bit, and it seems that the twitter acct. sends you to file a support ticket.  I'll go check for you, Griffin.

eta: wow - they're doing great job on the twitter feed.  looks like they are directing people to best possible place for support, based on what the issue is.  awesome

actually - I might need to adjust that statement a bit - I'll have to go back to twitter and check again - did not really mean that they indicated they "prefer" you contact the twitter support - it's just there to contact on twitter - but I watched a bit, and it seems that the twitter acct. sends you to file a support ticket.  I'll go check for you, Griffin.

eta: wow - they're doing great job on the twitter feed.  looks like they are directing people to best possible place for support, based on what the issue is.  awesome

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

[...] sort of can't believe that you would encourage everyone to send their petty issues to CEO acct and feed.  But I see that he recently handled one there.  boy is that going to open up a can of worms. [...]

what gave you that idea? it's listed in the information section and clearly captioned that it's about trends in SL.

some resources are informational, some are passive, some are active, and some are support, and others a combination.

thanks for the twitter address, I've updated the OP to include it.... it's certainly not one I'd have found myself since I'm not a twitter user.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

[...] sort of can't believe that you would encourage everyone to send their petty issues to CEO acct and feed.  But I see that he recently handled one there.  boy is that going to open up a can of worms. [...]

what gave you that idea? it's listed in the information section and clearly captioned that it's about trends in SL.

some resources are informational, some are passive, some are active, and some are support, and others a combination.

thanks for the twitter address, I've updated the OP to include it.... it's certainly not one I'd have found myself since I'm not a twitter user.

You may want to add a note under "file a support ticket' that it is often referred to as "using your support portal" in many LL posts.  The first time I needed to report something it took me several minutes to figure out what the phrase "support portal" referred to.

example from grid status page:

Ongoing Issue with Offline Regions

Saturday, October 29th, 2011

[postED 10:08AM PDT, 25 October 2011] We are aware of a problem that causes regions to go offline more frequently than normal.  Our developers were alerted to the issue over the weekend and continue to work around the clock towards a solution.  We understand how disruptive this is to your inworld experience.  If your region is offline, please go to your support portal and submit a case using the following types:  “Land & Region” > “Report an Offline Region”.  This queue is being closely monitored to ensure the fastest turnaround possible.  We will post an update as soon as we have more information on resolution.

You may want to add a note under "file a support ticket' that it is often referred to as "using your support portal" in many LL posts.  The first time I needed to report something it took me several minutes to figure out what the phrase "support portal" referred to.

example from grid status page:

Ongoing Issue with Offline Regions

Saturday, October 29th, 2011

[postED 10:08AM PDT, 25 October 2011] We are aware of a problem that causes regions to go offline more frequently than normal.  Our developers were alerted to the issue over the weekend and continue to work around the clock towards a solution.  We understand how disruptive this is to your inworld experience.  If your region is offline, please go to your support portal and submit a case using the following types:  “Land & Region” > “Report an Offline Region”.  This queue is being closely monitored to ensure the fastest turnaround possible.  We will post an update as soon as we have more information on resolution.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.