Oculus Rift is Toast

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't do this often, but yesterday while out running errands, I stopped at a garage sail. In a shoebox, on a table, in a dark corner of the garage, was an odd goggle-like machine and a box of discs. I flipped the thing over in my hands looking for operating clues. There was a slot for loading the discs, two eyepieces, a single control and a fogged window.

I inserted a disc and peered carefully into the eyepieces. Holy Virtual Epiphany, the view was astonishing! There was Captain Nemo and two shipmates, peering out the window of a submarine at a giant squid... in 3-D so lifelike I felt I might fall into the scene...

20000-leagues-under-the-sea.jpg

I rifled through my purse for the one dollar asking price and hurriedly paid the woman minding the table. She was clearly oblivious to the world-changing, mind-bending technological marvel she was about to give away to a complete and hyperventilating stranger.

I nearly knocked over my own mailbox as I raced home to futher examine my newfound treasure. Surely it was the work of a brilliant tinkerer who'd recently passed away, leaving behind countless unfinished inventions and a widow anxious for an uncluttered future. And I was lucky enough to stumble across the apex of his ingenuity and recognize its value.

It's now the next morning, and I am bleary eyed from being drawn through world after world of pirates, monsters, and princesses.

I have seen the future and it is this...

view-master.jpg

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I wondered when you began the post if you were talking about a View-Master.  I had one of those when I was a child; they provided hours of entertainment and I loved the clicking sound when I advanced a frame.

Ahhh, wonderful memories.
:)

You mean there's more than one of these?! You're lying. There's no way this isn't the only one of its kind. You're just jealous.

And, on the off chance you're actually telling the truth... why the hell didn't you tell me about these things? If you're not jealous, you're mean!

I really did have one of those as a child, except in my case the films were of Mickey Mouse, Cinderella, and the like.  By the types of scenes you saw, you apparently got hold of one of those new-fangled ones.  The one I owned was black and looked like these.

As to why I didn't tell you about it?  Well, umm *thinks hard* - OH!  It never came up in any of our conversations. *Preens at answer*

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I wondered when you began the post if you were talking about a View-Master.  I had one of those when I was a child; they provided hours of entertainment and I loved the clicking sound when I advanced a frame.

You mean there's more than one of these?! You're lying. There's no way this isn't the only one of its kind. You're just jealous.

And, on the off chance you're actually telling the truth... why the hell didn't you tell me about these things? If you're not jealous, you're mean!

I am sure my children would be more than happy to lend you one of the six viewmasters we have, and the hundreds of reels as well :D

Tari Landar wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I am sure my children would be more than happy to lend you one of the six viewmasters we have, and the hundreds of reels as well
:D

You too? Go ahead, rub it in. Destroy my dreams of untold wealth and admiration for discovering something that could change the world.

I rifled through my purse for the one dollar asking price and hurriedly paid the woman minding the table. She was clearly oblivious to the world-changing, mind-bending technological marvel she was about to give away to a complete and hyperventilating stranger.

Maddy, quickly go back there and ask if she might have one of these too. At one dollar naturally.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Viewmaster camera-1.jpg

Then you only need to find suitable film and you're fully equipped. :smileyhappy:

PS.

If no film is to found then some technical wizard might be able to install digital sensors on it. And to the viewer gadget too. Awesome, awesome beyond description!

:matte-motes-nerdy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Maddy, quickly go back there and ask if she might have one of these too. At one dollar naturally.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Viewmaster camera-1.jpg

Then you only need to find suitable film and you're fully equipped. :smileyhappy:

PS.

If no film is to found then some technical wizard might be able to install digital sensors on it. And to the viewer gadget too. Awesome, awesome beyond description!

:matte-motes-nerdy:

You people are killing me! You all know about such things? And you didn't tell me? And what the hell is this "film"? That sounds like something I'd want to brush off my teeth! Ewww!

I think you're all pulling my leg!

You people are killing me! You all know about such things? And you didn't tell me?

Oh Maddy, where have you been!  There is even more stuff... :matte-motes-big-grin:

Viewmaster stereoscopic projector.jpg

LOL, that looks funny. It would need nose and mouth; then it would be just perfect!  :smileyvery-happy: :smileytongue:

I don't do this often, but yesterday while out running errands, I stopped at a garage sail. In a shoebox, on a table, in a dark corner of the garage, was an odd goggle-like machine and a box of discs. I flipped the thing over in my hands looking for operating clues. There was a slot for loading the discs, two eyepieces, a single control and a fogged window.

I inserted a disc and peered carefully into the eyepieces. Holy Virtual Epiphany, the view was astonishing! There was Captain Nemo and two shipmates, peering out the window of a submarine at a
giant squid
... in 3-D so lifelike I felt I might fall into the scene...

Umm.

That's not a squid. That's Dave 32 unless I miss my guess. Doing quite well, from the looks of it.

I love this whole thread. I have to say Tari's post just made my entire weekend (and it's only Saturday afternoon!). Viewmasters were so much fun (we never had one but a some of our friends did), and it really tickles me to know that somewhere there are kids still enjoying that marvelous imagery.

Just looking at that last word it is so easy to understand how the word imagination came to be.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I inserted a disc and peered carefully into the eyepieces. Holy Virtual Epiphany, the view was astonishing! There was Captain Nemo and two shipmates, peering out the window of a submarine at a
giant squid
... in 3-D so lifelike I felt I might fall into the scene...

Umm.

That's not a squid. That's Dave 32 unless I miss my guess. Doing quite well, from the looks of it.

I love this whole thread. I have to say Tari's post just made my entire weekend (and it's only Saturday afternoon!). Viewmasters were so much fun (we never had one but a some of our friends did), and it really tickles me to know that somewhere there are kids still enjoying that marvelous imagery.

Just looking at that last word it is so easy to understand how the word imagination came to be.

Oh, Sweet Mother of Jesus! That's one of my babies! What the hell was he doing over at that inventor's house? And why is he dressed like a watermelon? And look at his eyes, I think he's been snorting weed!

You know what this means? That inventor guy didn't just die, he was probably torn to pieces and devoured alive. And I've got the photographic evidence that could send my baby to prison.

(Back in a bit, I've gotta go fan myself. I'm gettin' the vapors.)

Kwak, for all the attention seeking she does, Maddy becomes completely flustered when she actually gets it. That leaves me to loudly applaud the painstaking research you undertook to discover these rare and delightful devices.

Be aware that, like chicken and raspberries, she spoils easily. I'm already getting a headache from the increased cranial pressure her half of our brain is exerting on mine as it swells.

Coby Foden wrote:

You people are killing me! You all know about such things? And you didn't tell me?

Oh Maddy, where have you been!  There is even more stuff... :matte-motes-big-grin:

Viewmaster stereoscopic projector.jpg

LOL, that looks funny. It would need nose and mouth; then it would be just perfect!  :smileyvery-happy: :smileytongue:

I'm about to return my engineering school diploma and ask for a refund. How did I miss all of this technology? And why do you all insist on dredging up more evidence of my ignorance?

Breaking News - 3D Toastians are protesting the totally bogus comparison to Oculus Rift as a Rift Off.
Byline by: KarenMichelle Lane [Only slightly related to Lois Lane]

protest.jpg

3D-Cookie.jpg

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Breaking News
-
3D Toastians are protesting the totally bogus comparison to Oculus Rift as a Rift Off.

Byline by: KarenMichelle Lane [
Only slightly related to Lois Lane
]

protest.jpg

3D-Cookie.jpg

Oooh, maybe I'm current enough on Toast to regain some of the credibility I lost by displaying my ignorance of technology? 

Though Toastians might like me, the Sliced Breadians they were before I got my hands on them probably think differently. I wonder (hopefully)... could toasting cause amnesia?

Breaking News
-
3D Toastians are protesting the totally bogus comparison to Oculus Rift as a Rift Off.

]

Oooh, maybe I'm current enough on Toast to regain some of the credibility I lost by displaying my ignorance of technology? 

Though Toastians might like me, the Sliced Breadians they were before I got my hands on them probably think differently. I wonder (hopefully)... could toasting cause amnesia?

Cues a perfect "Ahhhhhhhhhh" moment. :D

Oculous Rift can only dream of being this cool...

3D-London-Skyline-Made-From-Toast-resizecrop--.jpg

I can smell the creativity now!

That wouldn't last an hour in my back yard. The place would look like a scene from "Attack of the 50 Foot Birds".

How cool, though. I adore transient art.

Breaking News
-

]

Cues a perfect "Ahhhhhhhhhh" moment.

Mmmm hmmmmmmm.

Nothing brings me more contentment than pushing things, and people... off a cliff.

Breaking News
-

]

Cues a perfect "Ahhhhhhhhhh" moment.

Mmmm hmmmmmmm.

Nothing brings me more contentment than pushing
burning
things, and people... off a cliff.

Added in the interest of full disclosure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.