Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset Second Life Viewer Development

Cracker Hax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love seeing that there is both actual progress being shown here by Cracker Hax and word of official support some time in the future. There is no way I want to wait until official support, which might not come until the next version of the Rift, so I am looking forward to Cracker (or anyone else) getting us started with something we can play with and that Linden can start using as they work on official support.

I recently finished getting the Razer Hydra working with SL. I think new input devices like this will become much more important when we find ourselves unable to see our keyboards and we want to move around too much to always have our mouse hand in the same place.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Razer-Hydra-experience-or-interest-3D-6-degree-of-freedom/td-p/1962871

I am also currently working on an adaptation for the rift.

email me  kiphaynes at gmail and perhaps we can collaborate. I'm working on the double viewport / transformation right now, so if you are focusing on the tracking, perhaps we can get it done faster!

Irockz wrote:

You should make it compatible with what is arguably the most popular third party viewer, Firestorm.

IMHO the UI is by far the most challenging part of such a project, requiring much more design work than the 3D view. That's because the Rift has lower resolution than the crappiest smartphone you can find. (That's not a knock against the Rift; those are some pretty computationally-intense pixels.) So, for actual usability, one might start with the Lumiya UI and dumb-down from there.

I personally am not a developer but bought the Rift sdk so I could enjoy the imursive technology. $300 buck was not bad for the joy of having something until the commercial version comes out. I am currently learning Unity 3D so I can import architectural model viha fbx from Autodesk Revit. But there is a lot to say for having environments inworld that may can interactive with concurrently verses building a "game" in an engine. Bigger than the Oculus Rift will be the met averse that draws people of like technologies together. If SL becomes the platform for sharing design the everyone will flock to it. I am looking forward to the day when a met averse platform is compatible with any modeling program.

I truly think Autodesk the makers of AutoCAD and 3ds Max have so missed the boat on not creating a server based metaverse that owners of there design suits can post an collaborate design. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Neth Paster wrote:

I truly think Autodesk the makers of AutoCAD and 3ds Max have so missed the boat on not creating a server based metaverse that owners of there design suits can post an collaborate design. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Virtual Reality on the internet will be nothing without collaboration.

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i see its been a while since youve posted an update. I myself have taken some video game design classes in college and i am EXTREMELY interested in getting the occulous rift working in SL. I am also wanting to get my hands on the dev kit so i can start working on making VR videos using 360 degree cameras so you can revisit memories and such. anyway, i just wanted to hear how its comming along and ask if you would be willing to share your work thus far and offer a download of your viewer so others could possibly help build on it or add to it.

Glad to see people are working on this. Still waiting for my Olulus to arrive, but should be very soon now. I also have the Leap Motion on order, and your plans for that sound great.

I'd support a kickstarter to do this, but it seems you are doing fine, as well as having others and even official support a liklihood.

I too was a developer years ago, but my coding days are over for now....

Please update on how you are getting along. 

I love how everyone is going gaga over 3D Cinemas.    We've had that in SecondLife forever.

I really think this could be amazingly revolutionary.

Cracker, what do you think about gaze support?  Is hooking up the direction of where the Avatar is looking to the Oculus Rift pretty easy to do?

I remember running events in SL and I could never tell if people were paying attention to me.   Imagine an event where everyone is wearing an oculus rift.    You could just walk around the room a bit and you could tell people are paying attention because the direction of their gaze would shift!     This will be so REVOLUTIONARY.   Nothing out there exists that can do this small but so vitally important thing.

• 2 weeks later...

so any progress with this at all? ive seen a lot of great demos and intigrations with games i thought would take a while to do so (i.e. minecraft) it would be perfect if sometime soon someone could provide a viewer to work with it.  any progress at all? id love to help out in testing it i should get my rift in about 2 weeks. you can send me a im in second life if you wish. Thanks.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

thats sad news, my condolences to his family and loved ones, he left to the world a heritage of his passion that surely will be a step to evolve further.

rest in peace Andrew Scott Reisse.

agrees

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.