New JIRA system- not fixing problems.

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I like what they did with this new JIRA system. Now they don't have to fix problems at all.

I've been hired by a group that apparently relies on group chats (I know, I know- let's not get into that), and we all know how reliable they are. So after getting the session time out popup four times in a row, I went to go and add a comment to the existing JIRA about group chats. I can't say it was going to be an entirely helpful comment, but I did intend on adding the time/date/groups affected for troubleshooting purposes...

I noticed though... We can't anymore. It's been closed with the new system. The status is still acknowledged, and it's still showing as an unresolved showstopper, but no comments can be added, and none of the top options are avaible anymore.

So, since it's effectively closed, I filed my own... Which was closed as a duplicate of that one.

So is that the new way of dealing with bugs? Close bug reports as duplicates of bug reports that are unfixed and also closed?

Personally, I feel like LL just fixes the stuff the feel like fixing or whatever is easiest. They don't seem to care at all if major parts of their world remain buggy for years on end. I've been waiting over 6 years for fixes that affect every single animation uploaded into SL. You should see those jiras. They had to change the jira cause when you don't ever fix anything people tend to get irrate about it. I think most of the lower end Lindens aren't used to having to deal with irrate customers. Maybe LL should have some of their employees try to run a business in SL. That would teach them how to deal with customers better, and see all the BS we have to go thru.

linden have had 2 major goes at fixing groups in last year. the first one was pretty good. but we broke it again bc we started using it more. like the new volume broke the new way lol (:

then a new guy got hired to make some fixes to large groups

now linden working on attempt 3. the CHUI.

idea of CHUI I  think is to overhaul the  whole way comms done clientside. is big project according to comment by Oz Linden. like lots of refactoring underneath. is not just a skinning job

then once they get that sorted then I think they going to have another go at groups serverside. along with all the other serverside comms

about the new JIRA

I think is about: please don't tell us about stuff we already know. and if want to have a moan then take it to the forums

since new system. I made 2 JIRAs.

1 got moved to SEC. I also ask about a related matter that I thought might have an effect on it in the scripting forum. consensus from the expert residents in that forum was: nah! don't think so. so I not add anymore to my JIRA

the other one was about my router. I get help straight away from one of the JIRA contributors who got read/write perms. I get good help off them so I get a fix and close

+

other time i get this constant repeated warning message that overflow my logs. if i stay on same sim then my log file ends up mega mega bytes in size. end up crash out

i ask about it on here in the appropriate forum. i get answer that point me to the JIRA that explain the problem exactly. so i add my watch. like don't need to comment and say what the JIRA OP already said

+

then last week. i ask a question in the Server forum about network packets and how/if that maybe is affecting me. Andrew Linden actual reply and say he dig into the code to see what is. and is actual not the problem that is affecting me. but he learn some more stuff about how linden handling packets serverside. so he going to look at it more fo rthe general case. so that was ok

bc he say what he did then i investigate my side further

in my house we got 5 phonejacks and a security and a sat TV hookup. so we get this tech guy to come. bc even with all my fixes i knew/learn how to make myself then i boost our ADSL to 8.0/0.8 from 6.0/0.4. which was pretty good

after the tech guy came he say that should rewire and also change the splitter setup. bc where we live should theoretical be able to get 15.0-17.0/1.0 dl/ul with the gears we got now

so do that. and woohoo !!!!

to downtown our connection now goes 10 ping. when was 50 before. and 15.4/0.99 dl/ul. to LA USA ping 120-160 when was 250-300 before. 8.0/0.8 is now 12.0/0.98 dl/ul

so brrmm!!! monstas improve \o/

16 wrote:

other time i get this constant repeated warning message that overflow my logs. if i stay on same sim then my log file ends up mega mega bytes in size. end up crash out

i ask about it on here in the appropriate forum. i get answer that point me to the JIRA that explain the problem exactly. so i add my watch. like don't need to comment and say what the JIRA OP already said

Yet with the new Jira, newly created issues won't be seen by you, so nobody would be able to point you to the Jira to watch it, as you don't have permissions and once a new issue has been triaged, that's the end of your feedback.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

you don't get feedback when an issue is fixed anymore either, you're supposed to watch the release notes.

agree that part needs fixing

in the latest release was a fix for a problem that i thought was the one i had. about repeated log messages. so i click the link to see. it said: o.m.g !!! you trying to access something that you not allowed to. like i was somehow some kinda villain or something

srsly dudes !!! put a better explanation comments in the release notes if you gunna block me from knowing. OK !!!

ps. i check myself inworld. no fix for my problem. was someone elses problem that fix. so at least they happy i suppose

but yeah!!! more info please on the release notes. OK !!!

Ciaran Laval wrote:

16 wrote:

Yet with the new Jira, newly created issues won't be seen by you, so nobody would be able to point you to the Jira to watch it, as you don't have permissions and once a new issue has been triaged, that's the end of your feedback.

agree about this generally as well. about visibility. can understand them not wanting to get swamped by repeat comments/moans. but cant see any reason why all the JIRAs other than SEC cant be viewable/readable

if is just bc of the way the JIRA software works then fix/change it

i would def like that

Drongle McMahon wrote:

"I think is about: please don't tell us about stuff we already know."

But the new system doesn't let you see what others have told them. So it guarantees that people will tell them stuff they already know.

yes

but. reading the heading is way faster than reading the comments looking for need to know stuff

While I understand why they felt the need to close the JIRA I feel it was the most stupid and assinine move ever. Often comments had work-arounds or more details for those who got affected by the bug.

Personally I've done what Drongle said: I stopped filing bug reports, it's not worth my time to file bugs if I don't know whether or not they're already known and documented. After all, there's no benefit whatsoever to filing a bug report. The bug may or may not get fixed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.