Need a mouse-like input device that doesn't require a surface

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the next several weeks, I expect to be in a situation in which I have lots of spare time. I can use a laptop on my lap, but have no surface on which to use a mouse. Using a touchpad for SL is unsatisfactory. I need something that works like a mouse but that does not require a surface to work, that can just be moved to generate input. I have looked at presenters, but they seem not to be designed to meet my need.

Can anyone suggest a suitable input device?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I use a bunch of these types of devices because I don't have a desk or stuff.

My favourite trackball of the last year or so is the Kensington Expert. Easy to clean, chunky, good positioning and ambidextrous hold!

Touchpad-wise, this might change your mind - it can operate either as a directional-pad OR a mousepad, and has a mini keyboard attached as well for presenting. The backlit keys are fun, too. I use the Logitech Dinovo Mini. It's surprisingly very comfortable to use to control the SL camera, though building much less so.

I know nothing about this device, but on that podcast he does with Jo Yardley, Drax is forever yammering on about the Leap Motion as if it may be useful for SL. I guess you'd still need somewhere to perch the thing, but you wouldn't need to touch it, and evidently somebody is doing with it something SL-related. I guess.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.