My wall

Caitlin Tobias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hah, not talking about by facebook - or other social wall, nope. I am going to share a wall in my SL home, on which I have several pictures in frames. Pictures I took myself and which I like enough to have them on display whenever I sit on my sofa when writing articles.

For some reason, I love to have some pictures - even though they are all online and on my harddrive - framed and all in my home. Gives me a nice feeling.

I am sure I am not the only one doing this for decoration in their SL home?
Do you want, or dare, to show off your wall with pics in your SL home, your hideaway or secret bunker?

Here is mine. Ah yes, one image is blurred because the unfortunate incident in which I ended up being called a stalker  errr ... I mean because of privacy!  Yes, that was it, privacy and well, mature content.

Wall800px.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your wall is nice Caitlin.

I have picture frames on table in lounge and big one in the main bedroom (that scrolls though my photos)

BUT I think your wall has a decorators look.  I like how you used same frames of different sizes. 

CheriColette wrote:

Your wall is nice Caitlin.

I have picture frames on table in lounge and big one in the main bedroom (that scrolls though my photos)

BUT I think your wall has a decorators look.  I like how you used same frames of different sizes. 

Oh, I am a terrible decorator.....getting stuff in my home takes me ages and those frames:...ahem, it's a set in one piece I purchased on MP, here.....all I had to do was drag pics in the right spots.....

CleoSertorii wrote:

this is the wall of my bedroom in SL. It is a work in progress and at the moment, and the only actual photo i have is on the nightstand
:)
At some point, ill be adding more of my SL adventures.

mako wall_001.jpg

You had better black out the photo on the table. You will have the post pulled for revealing Personal Information.

CleoSertorii wrote:

this is the wall of my bedroom in SL. It is a work in progress and at the moment, and the only actual photo i have is on the nightstand

Looks colourful!

And yes..decorating seems never ending...I just finished my home, for now...but surely I will change stuff soon :).

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

You had better black out the photo on the table. You will have the post pulled for revealing Personal Information.

Even if it is a picture of a photo of yourself? You could be right though, but I guess only if someone complains?

I am not so much into putting rl photo's in my SL, but i've seen it in other peoples homes :)

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Even if it is a picture of a photo of yourself? You could be right though, but I guess only if someone complains?

I am not so much into putting rl photo's in my SL, but i've seen it in other peoples homes

My understanding is that even if you are in the photo you would need the explicit permission of all others in the photo. And no, apparently no one has to complain.

But my understanding only goes as far as the Community Manager has communicated the policy to me.

Which is, not at all!

Nothing new here in that regard though, that kind of indifference to forumites concern's has been going on for YEARS!

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

I am not so much into putting rl photo's in my SL, but i've seen it in other peoples homes

My understanding is that even if you are in the photo you would need the expliit permission of all others in the photo. And no, apparently no one has to complain.

But my understanding only goes as far as the Community Manager has communicated the policy to me.

Which is, not at all!

Nothing new here in that regard though, that kind of indifference to forumites concern's has been going on for
YEARS
!

I get it, as said..I am just not a fan of RL pics in my SL at all, a personal choice, but there are lots of people who love to keep them in their SL home. Heck in profiles even.

As for the forum, yeah...I suppose you are right, I am always careful about images I post in here - it is why I blurred out one of the (SL) pics on my wall-picture, as it shows some nudity - if you would look really close.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

My understanding is that even if you are in the photo you would need the expliit permission of all others in the photo. And no, apparently no one has to complain.

Which is, not at all!

Nothing new here in that regard though, that kind of indifference to forumites concern's has been going on for
YEARS
!

I get it, as said..I am just not a fan of RL pics in my SL at all, a personal choice, but there are lots of people who love to keep them in their SL home. Heck in profiles even.

As for the forum, yeah...I suppose you are right, I am always careful about images I post in here - it is why I blurred out one of the (SL) pics on my wall-picture, as it shows some nudity - if you would look really close.

Oh I did! lol

There used to be a warning on the wiki, I believe, regarding disclosing personal information on your profile, and that to be safe and avoid any unwanted trouble, that you should refrain from doing that. Essentially, putting the onus of responsibility on the individual, as it should be.

In the case of a group photo, as a personal momento, it would be advicable (paying attention McMasters?) to let the people know that that is what you intend to do with it and give them the option of declining to appear in the photo or letting you know they would not like it published.

As for promotional material or images, like staff photos being used for public dissemination on Faceborg and Twitter, those individuals have tacitly forfeited their right to an expectation of privacy by their participation or by clause in their employment contracts.

PS All my photos are not suitable for this Disney forum either. ;-P

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Which is, not at all!

YEARS
!

Here's the LL Snapshot and Machinima Policy...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy#.28a.29_Land_Owner_Consent_for_Snapshots_and_Machinima

And here's a pertinent quote from it..

"Consent is not required for any snapshots."

And, as the snapshot on Cleo's nightstand is from RL, LL's snapshot policy would not apply.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Which is, not at all!

YEARS
!

"
Consent is not required for any snapshots."

And, as the snapshot on Cleo's nightstand is from RL, LL's snapshot policy would not apply.

We are talking specifically about RL pictures of individuals or groups of individuals posted either here in the forums or displayed inworld. So no, that particular policy would not apply as it only refers to 'snapshots' taken in-world and their possible use outside of SL..

From the CS

4.  Disclosure 

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

From the ToS

6.1 (iv)  Post, display, or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

From the CG

• Personal Information: Sharing someone else’s personal information—of any kind—is not allowed. Disclosing another Resident’s real-world identity, contact information, or the text of interpersonal communications (chat, email, IM) is not allowed.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Which is, not at all!

YEARS
!

"

We are talking specifically about RL pictures of individuals or groups of individuals posted either here in the forums or displayed inworld. So no, that particular policy would not apply as it only refers to 'snapshots' taken in-world and their possible use outside of SL..

From the CS

4.  Disclosure 

Residents
are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow
Residents
without their consent
-- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

From the ToS

(iv)  Post, display, or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

From the CG

• Personal Information
    : Sharing someone else’s personal information—of any kind—is not allowed. Disclosing another
    Resident’s
    real-world identity, contact information, or the text of interpersonal communications (chat, email, IM) is not allowed.

The photo on Cleo's nightstand contains no information linking any of the individuals to SL, so two of your three points (CS4 and CG) simply do not apply. Were they identified as particular residents, you'd also have to show that they did not give consent to have their picture shown. If you start from the presumption that nobody has given their permission for use of an RL photo in SL, then even profile RL self photos would not be allowed. LL does not require photo ID to open an account, so there can be no assurance that an RL profile photo is actually of the account holder, and therefore no assurance of permission.

Regarding ToS 6.1, it would, I think, be a stretch to find Cleo's nightstand photograph to be "harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate". You do appear to practice stretching, so you may disagree. It's also likely that you would have to be one of the people in the picture to lay claim to such an interpretation.

As for selfies invading the privacy of those posing for them, I welcome your presentation of sufficient legal precedence to make that a concern for the average SL resident.

You've painted yourself into a tiny corner, though I do think it's possible that people sharing your view of the world might RIC/AR such images, and that they might be removed. That says less about the rules than about personal sensibilities and the practicalities of thoughtful moderation.

I have a picture of the citadel building at Linden Village above my bed in my home, the Bunkerlow.  I've always been a loyal Lindenist and I keep this as a reminder of those who made, and continue to make, Second Life possible for us all.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Which is, not at all!

YEARS
!

"

From the CS

4.  Disclosure 

Residents
are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow
Residents
without their consent
-- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

From the ToS

(iv)  Post, display, or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

From the CG

• Personal Information
    : Sharing someone else’s personal information—of any kind—is not allowed. Disclosing another
    Resident’s
    real-world identity, contact information, or the text of interpersonal communications (chat, email, IM) is not allowed.

The photo on Cleo's nightstand contains no information linking any of the individuals to SL, so two of your three points (CS4 and CG) simply do not apply. Were they identified as particular residents, you'd also have to show that they did not give consent to have their picture shown. If you start from the presumption that nobody has given their permission for use of an RL photo in SL, then even profile RL self photos would not be allowed. LL does not require photo ID to open an account, so there can be no assurance that an RL profile photo is actually of the account holder, and therefore no assurance of permission.

Regarding ToS 6.1, it would, I think, be a stretch to find Cleo's nightstand photograph to be "harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate". You do appear to practice stretching, so you may disagree. It's also likely that you would have to be one of the people in the picture to lay claim to such an interpretation.

As for selfies invading the privacy of those posing for them, I welcome your presentation of sufficient legal precedence to make that a concern for the average SL resident.

You've painted yourself into a tiny corner, though I do think it's possible that people sharing your view of the world might RIC/AR such images, and that they might be removed. That says less about the rules than about personal sensibilities and the practicalities of thoughtful moderation.

Oh McMasters, I suggest you go back and read my original post to Cleo, also refer to my post regarding the interpretation by the Community Manager regarding RL photos and try to understand WHY I said that. It's not your fault, you can't be aware of everything.

It isn't ME, silly, who has painted themselves into a tiny corner here. I am still awaiting clarification from the powers that be on this issue. I am glad though that you see the ridiculousness of the position. Understand that I can not be as explicit here as I would normally like for fear of having the whole thread whacked and be given a little haitus from the forum, or worse.

And you left out the relevant part of 6.1 iv, "...or invades another person's privacy."

But do continue to make my point for me. The more people on board the better.

Does this mean you are arguing that a PR photo made publicly, voluntarily, available, (of Linden Lab employees, for example, although it could be actors in a TV show) with none specifically identified in RL terms, nor with any association made linking any of the individuals with specific avatars, would be acceptable as forum posting material, as it does not seem to transgress any ToS or CG rule discussed here?

[Apart from the bit which says you are not supposed to annoy anyone, which means that I could RIC the majority of posts ever made in the forums, because stupidity annoys me.]

maybe you should ask me what (or who) is in the photo first before assuming anything :) Its MY home, and MY photo, so i think it is safe to say i am allowed to post it. However, since you seem to want to totally derail this thread over this, let me reassure you that the photo isnt what you think it is. It is a publically available photograph of three fictional characters from the set of a tv show that my avi is based on (and they arent SL residents), and it isnt copyrighted, so please take your legalism and let this thread get back to its original purpose ok?

CleoSertorii wrote:

maybe you should ask me what (or who) is in the photo first before assuming anything
Its MY home, and MY photo, so i think it is safe to say i am allowed to post it. However, since you seem to want to totally derail this thread over this, let me reassure you that the photo isnt what you think it is. It is a publically available photograph of three fictional characters from the set of a tv show that my avi is based on (and they arent SL residents), and it isnt copyrighted, so please take your legalism and let this thread get back to its original purpose ok?

No thank you.

You are in over your head Cleo, and a long way from shore.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

No thank you.

Derek, did you come in here just to troll, or do you actually have some point to make? Nothing in the photo qualifies as "disclosing personal information" of any resident, or anyone else for that matter. As i already said (and you seem to have overlooked) is that the people in the photo are three actresses portraying fictional characters from a tv show that is the RP basis for my avatar. The photo was posted online by the studio who produced the show. They are not SL residents, and unless you actually know who these actresses are, you'd have no chance in hell of ever identifying them just off of the photo. If you have such a big problem with me posting it, then report it and let the thread go back to its original subject.

CleoSertorii wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

No thank you.

Derek, did you come in here just to troll, or do you actually have some point to make? Nothing in the photo qualifies as "disclosing personal information" of any resident, or anyone else for that matter. As i already said (and you seem to have overlooked) is that the people in the photo are three actresses portraying fictional characters from a tv show that is the RP basis for my avatar. The photo was posted online by the studio who produced the show. They are not SL residents, and unless you actually know who these actresses are, you'd have no chance in hell of ever identifying them just off of the photo. If you have such a big problem with me posting it, then report it and let the thread go back to its original subject.

Firstly Cleo, I do not take orders from you, regardless of how you word them. I will post as I see fit.

Secondly, the concerns I raise are relevant to the thread. And you need to understand that my original post to you was a little joke. I don't care personally, who you post pictures of in here. You have, as I noted, completely missed the point and remain oblivious to it. Which is ok, most will probably not understand it unless they are aware of what I am referring to, which I can't divulge because to do so would be a violation of policy here and result in my being banned.

Thirdly, you have no idea if the people in the picture are residents here or not, do you. And the fact that you have 'disclosed' their RL occupations in and of itself may qualify as a violation of the aforementioned policies here.

So try and relax and let it play. Follow along and you may indeed learn something. Or don't. I care not either way.

Here is a pic for you.

MeandIma1.jpg

Cleo, I suspect Derek believes his satire is obvious to everyone. The point he may be trying to make is that someone might interpret the ToS, CG, etc in an over-the-top way, RICing your post. Should that happen, I think it's possible the moderator would simply remove the post rather than consider the validity of the RIC.

There may be a few people who've carefully read the ToS/CG and exploit it for their own enjoyment, but I suspect that's not terribly common. Most people just get peeved with something or someone and push RIC, ignorant of what the actual guidelines are.

I may not be the most efficient presenter of my own understanding of things, but I'm certainly in no danger of being the least.

;-).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.