Looking for a land flattening tool.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI,

I'm newly back In SL after a long break and have just bought a small plot of land.  I am hopeless at terraforming.  A few years ago a friend in SL lent me what looked like a plank of wood that you could flatten your land out with.  I was wondering if anyone has one of these they can give me or point in the direction of somewhere I could get one?  Thanks in advance :)

One of the options on the terraform tool is 'flatten land'. Pick that, set the strength all the way up, and size as desired, then wave the tool all over your land.

I strongly suggest you have some consideration for then going in and smoothing out at edges where your land meets a neighbor - unless you WANT neighbors that hate you and work quietly to annoy you. :)

The land-shaping tools can give somewhat unpredictable results, but it's just a case of understanding what they do.

The flattening tool, for instance, tries to set the land to the same level as the area where you start using it. Start on a high spot, and it'll try to drag all the land up to that level. On a low spot, it'll try to push the land down to that level.

You might notice I say "try". You can only change the level of a piece of land by +/- 4m on most mainland. This is the difference from the original height of the landscape that LL put down, NOT the difference from what it is when you start editing. For this reason, you can't usually flatten a steep slope, and you might find spots on your land that you just can't edit to the way you want them.

Finally, as Pussycat mentioned, please be a good neighbour and smooth the borders with adjoining parcels. It looks so much better and having happy neighbours is a huge bonus.

My own personal aethetic is against flat land. Instead I like to drop 'foundation pillars' as if the structure I'm putting together were a real life thing on a real life hill.

(My SL Home goes to the extreme on this, its on the side of a cliff, and the house rests on top of a 40-50m tall 20x20m wide piller that near the ground is mostly inside the cliff, and I have small 'patio decks' jutting out of it.)

- I have a forest / lawn area above and behind my house on a sloping hillside, with a small foundation at the top which has a maybe 10m wide gazebo on it.

Most of my land is set to the 'revert' setting, the default height from LLs.

But in past even on small hills I've just set a small foundation and put a building or garden on it.

You'd think given the popularity of flat land, I'd have my choice of spots for land in SL, but it seems that those of us who like cliffs and hills are fanatical about it - and choice cliffside land is usually more expensive than even full water lots.

Go in edit terrain, click on your parcel to select it. It should highlight in yellow, in edit window select Flatten, then turn the strength up and click apply. it should flatten out or keep clicking apply until it does. Depending on the height now you can turn down the strength and select raise or lower and click apply until the ground is the height you want. 21 elevation is good. :)

If you need help IM me inworld 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.