Linden Lab is building a NEW virtual world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lindens

Vivienne Schell wrote:

"This one will take more time for us to figure out"

Are you sure that you are the CEO of a company which didn´t figure THIS out after 11 years?

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Are you trying to influence me in some way? If not, then what are you trying to do?

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Who said the content that ports over that has to be updated with new scripts will be hacks?  A door is a door and has to operate pretty much the same way in SL1 and 2.  The difference is the LSL script in it now will have to be replaced with one that works in the new world.  Do you throw out updates you get on products you purchased already because they are all "hacks"?  If you migrate to SL2 are you going to refuse any updates of products you already own and like and start from scratch?  Maybe, but most people won't .

Upgrade how?! Will all content creators offer a full script-upgrade kit for all their current builds? (And that is even assuming, at some point, llSetRemoteScriptAccessPin functionality was built in, so as to even update them remotely; which, even if it was, can no longer be used any more).

And what about that rezzer the house was in to begin with? Or the food rezzer in your kitchen? Or the many animations in your bath tubs/beds? We're talking about a lot more than just a door that needs to open.

Dear Ebbe

please hurry and come up with a name for this project. Project Prime or whichever. Dont have to be the actual name for the actual new thing when the doors open to us the public. Just give a working project name to it so that when you refer to it then so can we and we all the same page

otherwise we all going to keep making stuff up

like for example: I think is not going be any avatars in the betterworld. I think we all going to be ebbetters. Said like: eb-be-te-tars. bc a eb-be-te-tar is sooo way better than a a-var-t-tar

+

ps. If you and LL people are already thinking about what it might actual be named then please dont pick xxxLife. Pick something completely fresh and new. Dont make this new world about us this time. Which is what xxxLife means/does perceptively. Make it about the world this time. As I dont need another life really. I already got a life. Even if I do seem to spend a lot of time of it dreaming about and making stuff up (:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Racheal Rexen wrote:

Hello Ebbe, thanks for taking the time to answer ours questions, My question is if the Adult Community will have a place in the new Virtual world? 

We have no plans to disallow anything that's going on in SL and is legal. We're proud of the freedom we offer. 

Thanks! This is one of the questions I was going to ask.

I'm not, like many asking here, a landowner, and I haven't been a creator for 3 years or so (pre-mesh), so I'm more interested in the social dynamics, community, communications tools, and so forth. I'm sure some of these you are not going to be in a position to answer yet, but . . .

• Following up on the answer above, do you see the Community Standards as remaining more or less stable?

- just read them again. Seems reasonable to me...but way to early to be specific on something like this...
  • Will there still be free avatar accounts? (I assume that accounts will remain anomymous/pseudonymous.)

-yes, that's what we're thinking
  • if there are free accounts, will there be limits on the number of accounts (I think there are, theoretically, now, but if so it isn't enforced).

-we have some thoughts around this but too early to be clear on it
  • Will there be built-in viewer building tools for things like mesh, comparable to what currently exists for prims, so that more creation can be accomplished in-world?

-we want to allow for inworld creation that's easy, and support high end external tools...but again, early days...
  • Will the new VW feature a version of the LEA, so that support will continue for the arts on the new grid (this is an important question for me).

-has not been discussed, too early to know such details...but have nothing against it
  • The move to make the new world work for Oculus Rift notwithstanding, will the viewer UI continue to be relatively friendly and usable for those using more old-fashioned tech? (I.e., a mouse and keyboard)

-yes
  • I am delighted and impressed by your answers here -- do you see other forms of consultation with residents in the future? And not just with the high-end land barons or content creators?

-for sure we will include more and more people as we progress and have more details and product to show.

That's probably a good start . . . ;-)

Oh FFS Ebbe can't you get someone to show you how to post comprehensibly in a forum! Your n00bishness is reinforced with every wishy-washy unformatted answer.

Or maybe you're trying to make it difficult to distinguish your words?

(Nah, it's just incompetence.)

"ain't it hard when you're all alone in the centre ring?"

PS If you'd like to improve your apparent assimilation into English-speaking culture you might wish to note that only ESLers use the phrase "For sure".

Medhue Simoni wrote:

I, personally, would not expect to see animations in this new SL from long gone creators in the old SL.

It would be illegal for LL to assume ownership of the product of creators who left before they signed the new ToS transferring ownership to LL.

"stole your dreams and paid you with regret"

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Hi, it's very early as we're still mostly dealing with a lot of lower level technical things right now and don't yet have fully fleshed out business models etc. But there is no doubt that it will be important to enable entrepreneurs that provide services on top of our platform that solve things for certain communities, segments, markets, etc. I believe our success depends on it otherwise we won't scale as well. There will be plenty of time to discuss these things and we look forward to doing that when we get a bit further along. It's still very early...

Ebbe Linden wrote:

We don't have all those answers yet. I believe it's important to support entrepreneurs that provides solutions that we can't for various businesses, verticals, markets, languages, etc. etc. Clearly that will only succeed if they can add value and get rewarded for providing that value. We're very early here, still dealing with low level technical stuff and don't have business models etc. all figured out yet. We will bring our ideas forth as soon as we have something and meanwhile I'm all for hearing your ideas so that when the time is right we can start a good dialog.

I ran these posts through a few online "Content Analysis" tools and the highest rating they got was 11%.

Effectively meaningless.

"stone-cold fact?"

PS Actually, I just compared these posts with previous ones by Ebbe. They were written by a different person. Hi Peter!

DesperadoReprise wrote:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Hi, it's very early as we're still mostly dealing with a lot of lower level technical things right now and don't yet have fully fleshed out business models etc. But there is no doubt that it will be important to enable entrepreneurs that provide services on top of our platform that solve things for certain communities, segments, markets, etc. I believe our success depends on it otherwise we won't scale as well. There will be plenty of time to discuss these things and we look forward to doing that when we get a bit further along. It's still very early...

I ran this post through a few online "Content Analysis" tools and the highest rating it got was 11%.

Effectively meaningless.

"stone-cold fact?"

What beats me is WHY - WHY any announcement at all when they don't even have the most basic features in place?

It's like Microsoft when they shipped Windows 7, almost the hour after they send out a press release "Windows 8 will be better!"

• Lindens

Mony Lindman wrote:

thanks.. but ..
:)

you say:

Animations:
Depending on the format that will be used internally and for transport into SL2 it will be no big issue to transfer old animations to the new system provided you play them on legacy avatars (see above). I suspect the transfer format will be either BVH or FBX (and we are capable to convert .bvh and .anim to these formats for that purpose)

Also the fact that we will get NPC's will probably make the animators very excited. So i bet that many LSL based animations will be migrated to Bone based animations anyways ...

- Well , Ebbe said the format will be FBX but what worries me in fact is that Sylva Petrov who is the most important creator of full permission animations for builders in SL, didn't get a clear YES answer from Ebbe to these quesstions:

Sylva Petrov wrote:

Okay, I undestand that the format of animations will be changing. However, will their basic use in-world be changed, or will they remain playable assets kept in inventory? I.E. once created, will they be used similarly to how they are currently used in SL or will they be applied in a very different manner. Please Ebbe, any details you can offer on animations would be a massive help in reassuring myself and my customers that we're game on.

I don't eactly know yet...TBD

.. so, if there is no clear YES to questions like "will they remain playable assets kept in inventory" and "will they be used similarly to how they are currently used in SL or will they be applied in a very different manner" , you will understand that, as a creator of animated items who invested a big amount of money in thousands of full permission animations , i'm worried..

Sylva ensured her customers that she will do all to adapt all animations to the new world and the same licence will be valid in both worlds .. but will it be at all possible to adapt them when not even Ebbe knows if they will be used and applied in the same way or differently ?

What if they are related to a "scene", as FBX in fact should be .. and will they work on avatars with customized armatures ? I dont know and Ebbe seems to not know either, so .. you can bet im worried ..

i did not state fbx as fact but a direction we're leaning in. Not final. 

And SL won't change these things so you don't have to worry. Only if you want to make things in the next gen product will you have to learn some new things and do some things differently. It's up to you. 

Chris24fm Thorkveld wrote:

HUNDREDS of applications development companies and organizations hit development targets every year - you just don't HEAR about it. The big failures are fun to talk about  - the successes and on-time completions - not so much.

Ebbe's pedigree encourages me in this area.

Really? Do you know about Vizact2000, inter alia?

"you will never kill the pain"

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

coke classic was one of the biggest marketing success stories ever, may be SL will out do SL2 with the right marketing, I like SL legacy better sounds more Tron like, or how about the SL Matrix

Coke Classic was the revival of the original product (ie V1) after the biggest marketing disaster ever, New Coke (ie V2)

That sounds like a good analogy.

"turned the tables"

• Lindens

Mony Lindman wrote:

Yes but the animations I have are paid already, while the new ones I would have to pay again .. These animations are my capital, I invested about 2 million lindens in animations and when I say "invest" I do mean that till now I considered them an investition, a very good one and .. long term ..

For me , and for many others who use animations in their builds , the transfer and the use of these animations in the new world is vital.

And they will continue to work in SL, which, again, we have no plans to close down. 

Ebbe Linden wrote:

So you assume we could have the same amount of resources regardless of how hard it is to compete or that all projects are equal in potential value? Working on some products have much higher cost and lower return on investment than others. 

Hasn't your management training involved Portfolio Theory, Ebbe?

Or maybe it has, but you're struggling to express its complexities.

"high or low, it's all the same"

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Vivienne Schell wrote:

"This one will take more time for us to figure out"

Are you sure that you are the CEO of a company which didn´t figure THIS out after 11 years?

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Are you trying to influence me in some way? If not, then what are you trying to do?

I think Viv is highlighting your lack of credibility in the hope that the Board realise that they need a new CEO.

"four men ride out and only three ride back"

PS Or maybe she's been hired by Facebook to do a virtual hit job here because they are *really* worried that Sanitised Life might be a competitor for Playbook.

• Lindens

Kedehern Eiren wrote:

Ebbe, I have to ask....after reading this and other message boards you replied to, you have yet to answer the one burning question I have....what incentives will there be for people to migrate from SL1 to SL2? Other than it being "a new shiny SQUIRREL" type of thing?

~~~Torlok

That is so far out that we don't have specific plans for it yet. All depends on when it reaches quality and experience that users want. We have years to see how it plays out. 

• Lindens

kiramanell wrote:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

So you assume we could have the same amount of resources regardless of how hard it is to compete or that all projects are equal in potential value? Working on some products have much higher cost and lower return on investment than others. 

I appreciate a reply from the man himself, but I honestly don't know what you mean, here. I was pretty much just saying that being able to import half-a-home is, effectively, the same as not being able to import it at all. And thus, realistically, that I can forget about ever being able to port my many homes to SL2.

Unless you tell me I am wrong, of course (please, tell me I am wrong, LOL).

hmm, maybe i responded to another thread? 

Ebbe Linden wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

I appreciate a reply from the man himself, but I honestly don't know what you mean, here. I was pretty much just saying that being able to import half-a-home is, effectively, the same as not being able to import it at all. And thus, realistically, that I can forget about ever being able to port my many homes to SL2.

Unless you tell me I am wrong, of course (please, tell me I am wrong, LOL).

hmm, maybe i responded to another thread? 

It's late and you're tired, Ebbe, and it's making you forget which half-truths you have posted in response to which irrelevant questions.

Go to bed.

But call Peter first and tell him he should be ready with plausible denials in the morning.

"ain't it hard when you're all alone"

DesperadoReprise wrote:

Can't say I am all that happy with Ebbe's new vision and all; but are these constant ad hominems at him really necessary? At least the man shows up here, willing to answer question -- not many CEO's would.

Pamela Galli wrote:

An in depth article on why the migration path is so critical, by SL's most insightful analyst, Gwyneth Llewelyn:  
 (She also came up with a pretty good name: NeXT Life.)

I have to agree with Gavin on this blog. I really don't agree with almost anything Gwyneth said in that blog. She must really be geeked about HF, as she pretty much praises it the whole time. Personally, I think Phillips has far too many balls flying around, and no clear strategy that even sounds remotely feasible, outside of silicon valley. Maybe Phillips needs to travel a bit more, or get less cronies around him. The way I see it, he has nothing but speculative ideas. Only 1 needs to fail for the whole thing to go down. Even his concept of the cryptocurrency is not well thought out. The only way for it to be stable is ..... time, or not be a cryptocurrency. This is not to say that cryptocurrencies will always be unstable. The point of cryptocurrencies is to not have a controller, so that the market can determine it's price. It takes time, and users for a cryptocurrency to become stable. He might call what he eventually uses a cryptocurrency, but it won't actually be 1 in the classic sense.

I think I agree much more with Jessica Lyon than I do with Gwyneth.

kiramanell wrote:

DesperadoReprise wrote:

Can't say I am all that happy with Ebbe's new vision and all; but are these constant
ad hominems
at him really necessary? At least the man shows up here, willing to answer question -- not many CEO's would.

He'd be better off spending his time working on a business feasibility plan than publicly demonstrating his lack of preparedness here.

"an empty fable"

DesperadoReprise wrote:

It's late and you're tired, Ebbe, and it's making you forget which half-truths you have posted in response to which irrelevant questions.

Go to bed.

But call Peter first and tell him he should be ready with plausible denials in the morning.

"ain't it hard when you're all alone"

Dude, how sad does your life have to be to post nonsense over and over, for days? Seriously, I want to know. It will be much more productive than what you are currently doing. Go ahead, tell us about you. Tell us about your childhood. Maybe we can help you. Why hide? Let it all out. We won't judge you.

"It's a lot of work and LL can't throw hundreds of people at it like Google or Microsoft could."

Yes, but MS never did and never even would think of the announcement of a core business application upgrade/replacement where essential content as Excel Sheets are not backwards compatible.

Guess why?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.