Linden Lab Server Locations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At one time I would have said yes when we still had foreign offices. But now, it is anyones guess. As for the number of servers, Philip has quoted various figures in interviews. You would need to do some Google search. Unfortunately I do not remember what the numbers were. You could also check with Hamlet or Tateru - I am sure they have the figures from past blog posts.

The number is in the thousands - there are presently 31,250 simulators and several sims run per server, plus there are a number of inventory servers, asset servers and utility servers. Last I was aware, the servers were located in colocation facilities in San Francisco, Dallas, and the District of Columbia. Your connection jumps from server to server as you move between sims.

No user-accessible servers have been deployed outside of the USA to-date. There have, at various times, been plans to deploy some simulators on servers in the UK, Australia, China, Japan and Korea, but none of these have apparently ever reached the stage where hardware was deployed.

Last I heard, the number was variable. Homesteads and Openspaces for example, used to run at least 4 sims to the core (hence they used to be called 'quad' sims). Nowadays, I hear talk that it might be 8/core or even 10/core. Regular sims used to be 1/core, but might now be 2/core. How many cores per server isn't known to the best of my knowledge.

last I knew it was

[ cores - 1 ] * [ 1:Full region | 3:Homestead | 4:Openspace ]  = server

one core being kept free for communications, region management, and basic functions, the rest divied up based on region types being hosted. I think I heard the same rumor about openspaces being doubled up at 8 / core.

those numbers seem to sit will with region setup and conversion costs, like tateru says, it's been a long while since we got official word

ETA:
I thought they had some assets in the big arizona data center too, but those may just be webside resources hosted by google etc

Tried the tool out. Discarding outated results the number seems to be ~8 regular sims per server (I only checked sims I know that weren't lightweight or special-class sims), however just determining the number of effective cores on a system isn't as clear-cut as it once was.

Physical cores no longer have a 1:1 relationship with effective cores, and that can be someone dependent on system configuration.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.